help with cctv on my home please

what do you think about this will this work to power my camera,s ??? Converting a PC Power Supply i love to make things and have a play lol

As long as you have 12vDc - 13.5vDc & 500Ma per camera it shouldn't be a problem.
On another note - Are the power supplies located near the camera? Could you power the camera near to it's location & just run the coax back? This way the power is only a short run and would eliminate a power drop.

power was at the end of the shotgun cables as thats how the cables are set up but if i make my own cables i can put the power closer to the cameras

power was at the end of the shotgun cables as thats how the cables are set up but if i make my own cables i can put the power closer to the cameras

As a trial could you power the camera close to the location & just use the coax - If the camera is ok that way you don't need to re-run cables all the way back.

As a trial could you power the camera close to the location & just use the coax - If the camera is ok that way you don't need to re-run cables all the way back.

will try and report back mate

ok just ran the shotgun cable up the steps and then powered the camera from the plug socket next to it and still fuzzy as can be so its not a power problem

im now going to take the monitor and power to the camera and see what i get

Last edited:
ok done that as well so id say its safe to say ive tested it all to the fullest with the monitor next to the camera and power with just a phono lead no coax the camera image is spot on so its the cables im now 100% sure of it

ok done that as well so id say its safe to say ive tested it all to the fullest with the monitor next to the camera and power with just a phono lead no coax the camera image is spot on so its the cables im now 100% sure of it

Yeah - Process of elimination - Can now send the cables back & have new one's supplied :)

yes mate ill be buying a 100m roll of coax this time and make my own like i did at the old house will save me a lot of stress i think

you can run 100m per camera as long as the rg59 is quality on not cheapo,, the power for 12v cams i always use 3 core or alarm cable an pair the cores up (dont use telephone cable),, when you run the supplied cables did you make sure they werent coiled up anywhere,,, i find it strange they were all flickering when connected to recorder so makes me wonder if its something to with that,,, your doing the right thing by changing to rg59 though so if you still haves probs after that then youll know better,,,, also would have tried running an extension lead for all of the systems power ie. cams,recorder,monitor and try plugging it into a diff ring main, process of elimination as said b4,,,,,,, hope you get it sorted

Are the cameras 12v dc if they are test them using a 12v battery, the purest dc volts available, most noise faults are due to unsmoothed dc sources

Back