Help - New Dreambox bricked - Dreamup not working

if you got it from dvb then he has a one year warranty.
all depends where it came from.

I've sent an email to DVB (got it from there thank god).....the null modem cable should be working in any case.

im proberly way out are you using a 9 pin to 9pinf rs 232 null modem cable not a 25 pin to 9 pin lead

if im wrong tell me to shut up lol

could the lead be fecked

on my pc i have to use a usb to serial adapter to use dreamup

just an idea m8 :FRIGHT:

westkill

im proberly way out are you using a 9 pin to 9pinf rs 232 null modem cable not a 25 pin to 9 pin lead

if im wrong tell me to shut up lol

could the lead be fecked

on my pc i have to use a usb to serial adapter to use dreamup

just an idea m8 :FRIGHT:

westkill

Thanks for reply mate: This is a brand new 9pin to 9pin serial mate.

Should be fine

serial or null modem ?, there is a difference, it's the
This is a brand new 9pin to 9pin serial mate.

Should be fine
I got the impression that you had used this lead with a dbox, is the lead a tested lead ?, should be fine isn't good enough it needs to be tested.

Better to check it now, as if the box gets to dvb and there is nothing wrong with it and it's your lead then he would be within his rights to ask for the postage both ways.

Last edited:
serial or null modem ?, there is a difference, it's the

I got the impression that you had used this lead with a dbox, is the lead a tested lead ?, should be fine isn't good enough it needs to be tested.

Better to check it now, as if the box gets to dvb and there is nothing wrong with it and it's your lead then he would be within his rights to ask for the postage both ways.

Suppose i can tst from the laptop to the pc - but im sure its perfect.

Better to check just in case they sold you the wrong lead.
if you have a continuity tester then buzz pin 2 and it should buzz out the other end on pin 3
If it is 2-2 then it is not a null modem.

LOL - I think Imay have bought the wrong lead ya know... RS232 serial cable......

It happens, better to find out now.
Maplins are not to dear, can you take it back or is it an ebay jobby ?

At least you know you box isn't feeked that has to be a bonus.

I still remember my 1st dbox, took me 7 hours to find I was using the wrong ethernet lead :( and I had to turn my wireless card off in the lappy which was another few hours after I got the correct lead.

It's all a learning experience, you learn more when it's the hard way.

Last edited:
It happens, better to find out now.
Maplins are not to dear, can you take it back or is it an ebay jobby ?

At least you know you box isn't feeked that has to be a bonus.

I still remember my 1st dbox, took me 7 hours to find I was using the wrong ethernet lead :( and I had to turn my wireless card off in the lappy which was another few hours after I got the correct lead.

It's all a learning experience, you learn more when it's the hard way.

I don't makestupid mistakes often though......I'll check the lead and take it back tomorrow.

LOL - I think Imay have bought the wrong lead ya know... RS232 serial cable......

isnt an (db9) rs232 & null modem cable (db9) cable the same thing accept the rs232 has male at one end and female at the other and the null has both female ?? therefore you would know instantly if it was wrong cause it simply wouldnt fit ?

see here >>> http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/Data_Cables.php

edit :>> oops, i never thought, even though they look the same they could have different pins actually connected, anyway, blah blah blah :)

Last edited:
isnt an (db9) rs232 & null modem cable (db9) cable the same thing accept the rs232 has male at one end and female at the other and the null has both female ?? therefore you would know instantly if it was wrong cause it simply wouldnt fit ?

see here >>> http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/Data_Cables.php

edit :>> oops, i never thought, even though they look the same they could have different pins actually connected, anyway, blah blah blah :)

I'm currently in the process of sorting out all the bits for a dreambox.

So I’m wondering if the link below is a serial null modem cable?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97740&criteria=null modem cable&doy=20m1

It says it is so I’m assuming it’s the correct lead to buy?

Cheers,
Alex.

right guys - sorted the issue..i had bought a serial not a null modem.

To answer the other questions.....yes, they are the same just about apart from the wiring inside...null modem works like a cross over cat5 cable.

Cheers

Glad you got it sorted Wiggz! You'll not make that mistake again ;)

Every day's a school day!

@Lauting

I think that lead should be ok. Alot cheaper on ebay though!

@Lauting

However the one problem I've just found is that i flashed the DW 1.5 and i still got an enigma layout.....I thought this was neutrino?

I'm flashing the 1.09 f/w with dreamup now...clearing it all out hopefully......can you tell im new to dreambox?]

Any rules of thumb?

@Lauting

Cheers for the reply Devilfish.

I haven't really looked around yet, but cheers for the pointer.

I'm from a dbox background yer see...used to sticking images in the TMP folder and flashing without bootloader...seems to be a lot of other ways to flash images on the dreambox....

Like I say - any rules of thumb thankfully received

The DW UK1.5 is enigma, yes!

This is the latest neutrino image modified my Cryogenic.

If you're new to dreamboxes, have a read here.

I personally use the telnet method to flash images. Much quicker than using dreamup and flash wizard pro has a tendancy to hang up for me :(. If it's a .fw2 image then the only way to flash is with FWP but if it's a .img image I will ftp the image file to the /tmp folder, telnet to the box and use a flash command.

Last edited by a moderator:
with any enigma image
settings
system settings
osd settings
then tick the show mainmenu like listbox.
it's the nearest I can get it to looking like neutrino.

Back