HDTV question

ericbshort

Inactive User
Reaction score
HDTV
As I understand cable providers will eventually offer some channels with HDTV quality. What about terrestrial broadcasts, will I be able to receive HDTV via my aerial?
Can I pick up the terrestrial broadcasts using my freeview box (as I presume it'll be output via digital and not analog).
Thanks

There's no reason that HD Can't be sent terrestrial, but u wont get it on any freeview box at the moment. Would have to be sent differently and output over a real HD connection (hdmi, sdi, DVI anthing like that but normally HDMI cos its got Audio and video in its standard).

I'm not sure what the Channel companies have up thier sleeves but dont hold ur breath, I know Sky refitted thier main broadcast studio for HD and all that but the others, I'm not too sure at all.

i herd ye can't record 1 channel whilst watchin another when on hdtv- coz of the settings or summit. dunno if its true tho

could someone please find out and tell me. cheers

It would be a pretty big oversight for sky to do this considering its sky+ box is marketed for this. HDTV or not.

You can do it in Japan (HDTV for a while now) on the machines they use (lots of pc media centre type computers too, record 7 channels at once and one in HDTV for example) But the sheer size and bandwidth needed for HD might inhibit watching AND recording in HD at the same time.

The BBC and the like are also making HD content for TV programs so terrestrial TV is a goer but not all of it (like most until analog turnof I guess, maybe even longer here!!)

The problem with HDTV over terrestrial is basically the bandwidth requirements drastically restrict the number of possible channels. There is presently an experiment going on with the BBC to transmit HDTV using a form of MPEG4 compression rather than the more normal MPEG2 but whether this will lead anywhere or not is another matter. If it does then I would suspect all present terrestrial boxes would have to be dumped as mostly, the chipsets are not capable of MPEG4 or of being upgraded to MPEG4

edit: just found this article in Electroncs Weekly magazine -

Electonics Weekly said:
The move from MPEG2 to the MPEG4 digital broadcasting encoding standard could create a need to turn off the MPEG2 digital TV signal, making current Freeview digital terrestrial TV (DTT) receivers obsolete.

"We are just at the cusp now of changing digital broadcasting encoding standards," said Roger Lynch, chairman of service provider Video Networks, at a Government Select Committee hearing. "The problem is that every single Freeview box out there in the field cannot do MPEG4, so what that means is: how do you ever get to the latest technology on DTT where you migrate to MPEG4, free up the spectrum and enable things like high-definition?

MPEG4 uses spectrum more efficiently, using half of the bandwidth of MPEG2, meaning twice as many channels or the ability to offer high-definition broadcasting with far less bandwidth.

Lynch agreed with the Committee that this change meant there may come a point when there is a "second switch-off" of TV signals in order to transfer from MPEG2 to MPEG4. "There will be a transition where, in an aggregate and an economic sense, it will make sense to use the most advanced encoding technology," said Lynch.

Lynch said he was concerned about the current focus on Freeview as the primary provider of digital TV because it uses MPEG2. "By placing so much emphasis on, and so much investment in that, you end up perpetuating what I call the ‘lowest common denominator’, because it is based on a legacy technology."

Last edited:
Why didn't they think of this before? Would've saved us having to dump all the current freeview boxes. But then It'll generate more sales eh?

I'm sure all the hardware manufacturers are very happy that HDTV will mean new boxes, freeviews are so cheap though I doubt it matters to us really cash wise!

For the designers/manufacturers all they really have to do is whack an moeg4 chip in to a design and its all good for them (a bit more complex really, but not too bad for them!) It will mean that other items will have to be changed too though, all ur pvr stuff for example will cost more too, unelss u dont mind doing it all in mpeg2!

hi i bought the philips 42PF9965 plasma tv back in August 2004, its a great tv with a high resoloution of 1280 x 1280 jas 30 Watts speakers, and pixel plus. i just checke the back of the tuner box and there is no connection for the new HDTV. i spent £2600 for this tv thinking oh yes this is good but with the lauch of HDTV near the corner all that money may have gone down the drain. Im wondering will there be a converter that will send these signals into our tv's through some kind of box form? or is it best me breaking this tv in some way and sending it back as it came with a 5 year cover plan lol

cheers

Harvey
if you have R G B phono conections on the back of your tv you will be able to get HDTV the HDMI conection is so that you can't copy any program. The new sky + will have both of these connections and you will be able to record 2 programs .But Telewest has already started there HDTV ahead of Sky.

i see yep on my tuner box there is the RGB connections on the front of it cheers mate, just wondering will the dbox stream HDTV ???

I feel so conned. Freeview seems like old hat already.
But I hope they wont stop transmitting in freeview until at least 2020 (fecking hope so anyway). I'm not too crazy about HDTV anyway, if it's not needed feck em. My eyes aren't getting any better so for the time being freeview will do fine :)

To me it's one big rip off, freeview/dab has been out for ages but you can't get decent equipment yet because the shops/manufacturers want to get rid of their old analog shyte

satdoc said:
Harvey
if you have R G B phono conections on the back of your tv you will be able to get HDTV the HDMI conection is so that you can't copy any program. The new sky + will have both of these connections and you will be able to record 2 programs .But Telewest has already started there HDTV ahead of Sky.

strictly speaking thats not true. The Red Green Blue phono connections are there for progressive scan for use with current number number of PAL visible lines 540 (cant remember the top of me head), this isnt the same as HDTV, HDTV will have 1080......There are/were 3 types of connections on offer firewire,DVI and finally HDMI. The one that seems to be adopted by manufacterers is HDMI.

Ive got an article/link if any one is intrested explaining it all.......

Last edited:
I rang Sky regarding the new HDTV channels, I was told that they should be transmitting a couple of channels next month, Sky Sport on Ch. 405, Discovery on Ch. 557 and Artworld on Ch. 158.
I was told that I might need a new Sky + box to be able to receive them.

shaun127 said:
Hi,
I was told that everybody will need new Sky+ boxes

Only if you want Hi-Def. Don't believe anything a Comet or Dixons salesman tells you.

just wondering will the dbox stream HDTV ???

The dbox will never handle HDTV. The avia chipset cannot handle HD, the cpu doesn't have enough power, there isn't enough memory, it can't handle the MPEG4 encryption and it's not possible to output an HD signal via a scart connection or a 10mbit ethernet port.

So...No...lol!

logic_187 said:
strictly speaking thats not true. The Red Green Blue phono connections are there for progressive scan for use with current number number of PAL visible lines 540 (cant remember the top of me head), this isnt the same as HDTV, HDTV will have 1080......There are/were 3 types of connections on offer firewire,DVI and finally HDMI. The one that seems to be adopted by manufacterers is HDMI.

Ive got an article/link if any one is intrested explaining it all.......

Sorry man but thats pretty wrong too. My 360 can send a HD picture in either 480p, 720p or 1080i over component video (the RGB phonos) to my TV. This is pretty similar to how they have been watching HDTV in the States for years.

HDMI and DVI-D send exactly the same resolutions only digital. HDMI can also send digital audio.

Back