HDD Reducing Network Speed

@edogg

Thanks for your thoughts - you are right with the 'all wireless'.

In fact I thought of giving the USB carrying the HDD the additional help of external power through a hub.

Now please correct me if I am wrong but the only hub I have plugs into one USB and gives 7 power assisted USB 'outs'. What I could not fathom was how could I use a hub on the Openbox which has only one USB.

What you are saying is how I felt about it being an overload so would like to pursue that line if possible.

Could I come back to you for your reaction on the hub to Openbox problem I think I have before going any further?

Many thanks.

I think you would be better connecting the openbox with a network cable !! are you trying to share the hdd between the computers and the openbox over the network ?
the openbox cant share over a network it can only connect to a Cline so you would have to connect the hdd direct to the openbox usb for it to record on then unplug it to use with a computer a NAS adapter / enclosure could let you share with the computers excluding the openbox.

edogg

are you trying to share the hdd between the computers and the openbox over the network ?

No - the computers are involved only because they suffer when the Openbox with HDD is working. I only attached the HDD to a computer's USB to establish whether a similar (to Openbox with HDD) reaction occurred.

The aim is to have the Openbox with HDD not having a detrimental effect on any computer connected to the network at the same time.

Any 'hub' advice?

Many thanks.

any powered hub should be ok but i would connect the openbox with a network cable to the router instead of the wireless adapter.
that is how i have mine wired to the router and hdd in the usb port and laptop connected wireless to the network
the usb port on the openbox might be underpowered as it was not intended to be used as for wireless connections but rather for upgrading the firmware and as a pvr port

edogg

@edogg

A direct cable connection is unfortunately not an option for me.

If you recall I could not see how a hub could be used with the Openbox's one USB. I use a self-powered Games Adapter into the ethernet port. That arrangement has operated well with a DM500S and a TM600 as it does with the Openbox. My Openbox USB is used the same way as yours - firmware upgrades and the PVR.

Thanks again.

does the network slow down when all computers are connected to it or only when the harddrive is connected to the openbox and you are recording.
could it be a clash of ip addresses with in the network i.e. the wireless connections are sharing the same address as if someone from outside is using your network although it is only your authorised computers connecting.
for instance if someone hacks your network it will slow your connections down so therefore if 3 computers and the openbox all connect it could be an ip clash check the routers config page >> maintainence >> attached devices this will list all the devices on your network

edogg

does the network slow down when all computers are connected to it or only when the harddrive is connected to the openbox and you are recording.

To keep the answer to basics - the action of inserting the HDD into the Openbox USB slows the networking speed for any computer attached. This happens even if the Openbox is on an FTA channel and not recording.

Thanks again.

i think then the problem is the hdd is somehow drawing to much power from the openbox I cant see how that affects the network speed unless the enclosure is a NAS and it is somehow trying to connect to the internet so that is far as i can go because i cant replicate the problem on any of the 3 openboxes I have contact with

sorry not be of more help

edogg

@edogg

Thanks for your latest advice.

I am pleased to be able to say that I have found the cause of the 'problem that defied logic' at long last.

The cause was one computer's wireless adapter was plugged into a malfunctioning USB port. The malfunction had no obvious affect until the HDD was plugged in at the Openbox.

Changing the port for the adapter has cleared the problem completely. Too simple really but it was only another lot of testing today gave me the clue.

Thanks to all for your help.

glad you got it sorted we knew it could it not be the hdd or the openbox causing the problem purserverance in removing one item at a time is the best way to test for impossible faults

edogg

This is a follow-up which may be of interest.

The 'switching USB port cure' did not last.

I now have an HDD working satisfactorily and not causing any network disturbance.

I was unable to work out why an HDD with separate power supply was giving me trouble.

My TM600 provides power and USB connectors to allow an HDD to fit inside the STB case and that arrangement gave no network problem. The Openbox has no internal connectors so the nearest I could get was a 2.5" HDD fed by the one and only USB connector. (The HDD is an Hitachi 320GB SATA).

That arrangement works as expected and with no network interference.

I would still like to know where the problem originated - the external power supply would appear to be the cause. I used three different power supply units and all produced the same effect. Knowing the cause is of academic use only now for me but I still want to know why!

Back