Has anyone done the CAI course?

ericbshort

Inactive User
Reaction score
I asked them to send the info in the post.
They do a motorised course (2 days £250) and a fixed dish course (1 day £180 - they reccomend this course for begineers).

I'm wondering if anyone has done one of these courses and what they thought of it?
Thanks

i havent...... but for the difference in price, definately dont bother with the fixed dish course because i dont think you'll gain that much from it. If you want to go for it, i'd suggest the motorised course will definately teach you a lot more. I would say it will give you a good step up from just reading on here. So, in other words, learn all the basics on this forum :) for free :) then go as an intermediate to learn the extra. Where do you want me to start?? There isnt that much to learn for a single fixed dish, lol.
Best advice i'd give is to get a sat meter (if you dont have one yet) then spend the money on your own equipment and get practising hands-on style. Get the word out with your mates that sat tv is the nuts, and get some practice setting up theirs. Chuck yourself in at the deep end, i bet ya you'll swim.
Good luck tho, whatever way.

Thanks PinkHelmet

I did buy a Wolsey sat2, which I found to be amazing, I ordered a digisat pro from wizard over xmas but it never came, they phoned melast week saying I had an invalid credit card - yeah right -

I wanted to just go striaght in and do the motorised dish course as you suggested but their recommendation for those who can attend is...

"The course is suitable for those with extensive practical experience of installing ASTRA & Eutelsat fixed dish installations."

which scared me a bit but I reckon with my sat meter and a compass I should be able to find any satellite in the UK footprint for a fixed dish setup. So thanks and it looks like the motorised course for me.

just tell them the costomer is always right and if they want your money they'll teach you the motorised instalation corse.
'
I've done loads of sat setups for friends and family and i used to get away with just a sat beeper, no compas or anything for the fixed dish set ups.

For the motorised setup it is harded and you do need the better equipment but if you go to the library you should be able to get some books on it for free! i did and i've done a few motorised setup now that work great!

Save some money and try the library for the basic understanding and when you have that take the corse if you feel it is nessessary, thats my advice if you dont need the qualification for a job anyway.

@Ericbshort, the digisat pro is a good meter because it has disecq control on it so you can electrically move the motor while up a ladder, plus it has 2 lnb inputs which can be great if your installing an Astra1/Hotbird or other multi lnb/satellite fixed dish. But apart from that its just a decent meter for any installation, with a really good display, AND it sounds like a remote control aeroplane when it buzzes, great!! lol :)

Anyway, the beginners stuff will be to learn things like-
Where do you roughly look into the sky, ie learn where Astra1 at 19degreesEast will be. How to locate it quick and easily.
How to fix a dish so it doesnt blow away, and how to connect dish to receiver.
Terms and words like 'f' connector, co-ax, offset, prime focus, focal point, skew, LNB, transponder, beam, frequency, polorisation "V or H", symbol rate "SR", forward error correction "fec"... [can anyone else add to this list to assist]
How to cut your cable and put connections on correctly.
Erm, i might add to this list, but it is the basics. You can learn all that by reading and asking here. So if there are terms above that you dont know, then ask away. I think if you set up your dish just once, you will easily bluff being an 'intermediate'.

Back