Hard drive

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just lumped one of me 200 gig hard drives in and it only read 137 gig, it would seem that the MB cannot see the rest after all :( Do you think it would be possible to flash the board to the news version of bios (not tracked it down yet) Also I have seen a version called honeyx for the K7s5a board but I am rushing out to work and have not had time for a proper look at it.

Any advice welcome ;)

dutcho you will need to check out the bios for the mb and see if flashing will upgrade it to accept a 200gb first make sure you read all first in other words dont flash it before reading all the info on the flash upgrade

If flashing doesn't do the job, u still can go with a software solution.
Ontrack offers a diskmanager software that installs itself into the MBR
and makes the full capacity of the hdd available under Winblows, no matter if your bios sees the whole harddisk or just up to a certain amount of GB.

As Allroad says check m/b web site to see if bios update will include hdd above that size, as said b4 many dont my gigabyte m/b wont go above 137 and as its a couple of years old now i doubt they will bother doing new bios.

if m/b cant be flashed the next option is a ata pci card, these are a lot newer and there own bios supports large hdd/cd's etc, many have other features like raid etc, but i think i saw 1 at computer shop £25 ish

Thanks all, The mrs say just by another MB but I like to tinker ;) This honeyx bios is a hacked update for over clocking ect, it's getting a lot of good ratings. I believe there is also a revert disk somewhere on the site to recover from bad flashes ;) Fingers crossed.

Just got in from work and having a couple of beers so tonight might not be the best time to play about me thinks.

Thanks again.

From what I can read, don't have me glasses on, it would seem that the board can only reconise upto 160 gig, if this is correct anyone recomend a board that will do the job. Basic board with sound and maybe a lan with ddr mem but has to support the drive .

window's is not compatable without a patch (changes the registry)

here one off the maxtor site though i think its multi compateble

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/big_drive_enabler.htm

Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler is a one step executable that enables support for drives larger than 137 Gigabytes in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and XP Service Pack 1. This utility takes the guess work out of editing the Windows registry. The Big Drive Enabler fixes an operating system limitation. This utility is needed anytime a Hard Disk Drive larger than 137 GB is connected to the motherboard's ATA bus, regardless of any system BIOS that supports 48-bit LBA.

sounds like the prob

monks

Here's the software then :)

It's the actual exe file, i just renamed it to .zip.
Rename it back to .exe and u should be good to go

Back