Hard drive

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just lumped one of me 200 gig hard drives in and it only read 137 gig, it would seem that the MB cannot see the rest after all :( Do you think it would be possible to flash the board to the news version of bios (not tracked it down yet) Also I have seen a version called honeyx for the K7s5a board but I am rushing out to work and have not had time for a proper look at it.

Any advice welcome ;)

That's a pity then.

If it doesn't work on XP u are left with 2 options: either upgrade your mobo to sumwat decent that knows how to deal with harddrives >137 GB, or u use a disk manager software (as described in my first post) which will make the whole disk accessible under Windows although its not fully recognized in the BIOS.

What you make of this 'copied from another place'

Re: NEED HELP PLEASE. K7S5A V1.0. 250GB harddisk not recogni
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently bought an Hitachi/IBM 160GB harddrive but could not get it to recognise more than 137Gb even though the BIOS id'ed it as 164GB. I tried everything until I stumbled onto the problem with BIOS of the K7S5A, it only recognises harddrive sizes up to 137Gb. Beyond that the BIOS has to be flashed and still there is no guarantee that it will work. The Best Flash method is to download a utility called drdflash.exe from www.bootdisk.com which can be executed inside windows (whatever) to create a formatted bootdisk leaving you only to copy your BIOS Flash utility and ROM readwrite to that disk. Word of warning, make sure that you add the FDISK program file to that disk as well, just in case that after you've installed your new OS and it does not work. Windows 98 FDISK does work on an NTFS formatted drive, make sure to use the /mbr switch when invoking FDISK which will wipe any previous boot record otherwise your problems will increase.

Not much :)

Ok here's a few facts:

• - Windows XP can only "see" harddisks up to 127 Gig.
    - To "see" more then 127 Gig in WinXP you need to have ServicePack 1a
    - The BIOS of your board, once flashed could detect the full 200 Gigs, no guarantee though

So first question is: Servicepack 1a for XP installed ?
If yes, then it's down to flashing the bios or trying some disk manager software

Downloaded and installed the service pack, rebooted, ran hard drive setup wizard and it saw all the 200 gig np this time without flashing the bios :)

Now to fit the other one, copy all the data across, format it, remove the old 40 gig harddrive and reinstall xp. Of course I will then have to reinstall alll the service packs...lol

Ah well keeps me busy...

Thanks ;)

Ok more help required :( Had new drive in all working, backup up all me data to it, everything fine.

I then went about and removed the old os drive so I could use the 120 gig as an os instead and leave the new 200 gig one as storage.

I swopped the leads around last night, press the on button, the computer fired up the fans, I heard the hard drive kick in then it shut itself straight back off. I then had to remove the power cord for a bit then plug it back in, press on button and the same thing happened.

I unplugged the power lead from the new 200 gig and the system boots up fine but as soon as I reconnect it and power up it shuts itself straight back down.

I thought ah ferked Harddrive with all me presious data on, I then went to bed and tried to convice myself it had been all a dream.

Got up this morning and found it was not a dream so I tried the new 200 gig in the system upstairs, the computer fired up and loaded fine allowing me to view the data. I tested the drive and used it for a couple of hours in that system with no problems so I put it back in the main system and get the same problem, machine will not power up with that drive connected, it did when I first installed it but won't now.... any ideads please.....

If it won't fire up when only the power is plugged in it might be a problem with your PSU.

Try to remove some installed cards (sound-card and stuff) and drives (CD/DVD) to save some power and see if it fires up ok with the 200 gig installed. If so....go and buy a new PSU >350W

yes as bad says the psu i recently put in a 500w you cant have enough power by the way did you flash the mb ? after a restart it could be fooked i spoke to diane kast night and she wasnt sure what you did but a new mb would be a good investment now with raid controlers being the norm etc

No m8 I bottled the flash for now, but I think I'll have a whirl later if I get this sorted. Funny enough I have just dragged a spare psu out the cupboard to try so I'll let you know the out come.

' i spoke to diane kast night '

So it was you trying to chat my mrs up....lol

Back