Hackney woman told to remove burka by crown court judg

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A judge has refused to let a Muslim woman in a full-length burka enter a plea until she reveals her face.

The 21-year-old from Hackney, who is charged with intimidating a witness, said she could not remove the veil in front of men because of her religion.

Judge Peter Murphy said however, she could not stand trial in the veil, which only reveals her eyes, because her identity could not be confirmed.

The woman is due back at Blackfriars Crown Court on 12 September.

Judge Murphy said the principle of open justice overrode the woman's religious beliefs, warning that a different person could go into the dock pretending to be her if she did not show her face.

'Open justice'
He said: "It is necessary for this court to be satisfied that they can recognise the defendant.

"While I obviously respect the right to dress in any way she wishes, certainly while outside the court, the interests of justice are paramount.

"I can't, as a circuit judge, accept a plea from a person whose identity I am unable to ascertain."

The woman's barrister, Claire Burtwistle, told the court the woman was not prepared to lower her veil with men in the room and suggested a female police officer or prison guard could identify the defendant and confirm it to the court.

However, Judge Murphy rejected the proposal and said: "It seems to me to be quite fundamental that the court is sure who it is dealing with.

"In my court room, that's going to come first.

"There is the principle of open justice and it can't be subject to the religion of the defendant whether the principle is observed or not."

Judge Murphy adjourned the case for legal argument over whether the defendant should have to remove her veil.

When the woman returns to court she is expected to enter a not guilty plea.

424222_1.jpg

BBC News - Hackney woman told to remove burka by crown court judge

I'm sure if a British woman went to court in Iran in a bikini she would be slung in jail on an obscenity charge.

Mind you she probably would be in this country aswell lol

How much more in legal aid/costs is all this shit going to cost the taxpayer ?

Fair play to the judge though hope it starts a standard in this sort of matter.

How much more in legal aid/costs is all this shit going to cost the taxpayer ?

Fair play to the judge though hope it starts a standard in this sort of matter.

Shouldn't cost anything, she should be found in contempt and fined to pay for it.

Shouldn't cost anything, she should be found in contempt and fined to pay for it.

Hope that's the case. Can you see that happening though?

Good for the Judge there is too much of this hidden identity going on with these people. Who knows what or who is under that burka.

Well done mr judge !! This burka thing is getting ridicules , if someone showed up in a balaclava they would be in contempt but if its a burka its somehow ok ! I say ban the burka , if sone one crashes into me or steals from a shop or assaults someone how do i know who it was ?? But try driving in a balaclava or going in to a shop with your hoody on and you are ask to remove it , but a burka is alright ?? When in rome do as the romans this country gives em to many rights its just to soft ,

She is charged with intimidating a witness !
Surely thats got to be against her religion but she is claiming that showing her face is against her religion.

Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Judge is right, it could be anyone behind the burka.

they come here because we are an open democracy and then try to pervert it to there own old ways the idea of immigration is to join in with the new country not muslims they come here to get away from persecution and then bring all the old prejudices with them it is about time we told immigrants this is a Christian society and you must adopt our way of life to live here

I'm currently working at Marble Arch/Edgware Road in London, you would honestly not believe how many Arab people there are in that area

On a light note and this is honestly no bullshit, I was walking to get a coffee the other day and there were 4 women wearing full face burkas (looked like holiday makers) 3 of them stood in front of a hotel while the fourth took pictures of them - lol they did not take the burkas off

Imagine when they get home and are asked "which one are you" LMFAO .... "I can't remember" PMSFL

Judge is right, it could be anyone behind the burka.

Are you saying it could be any old burk in a burka snp-g?. You could be right. :) Unfortunately I had to go to Manchester United's ground during the week to get a present for someone and the car park was full of these Muslims in burka's. Now they hadn't bought anything because they had no bags unless these burka's have convenient little pockets on the inside of them. They were all sat on benches and walls near the entrance. So my question is Were they just sunbathing?. You couldn't really tell if they were Men or Women?. They could have been terrorist and you would never know the difference. :(

Last edited:
@miggy Maybe you should start reading comics, I'm sure The Mail must be bad for your blood pressure. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@miggy Maybe you should start reading comics, I'm sure The Mail must be bad for your blood pressure. :)

I tried that once hamba it made me ill. Desperate Dan was such a fat coont. :puke:

Last edited by a moderator:
@ miggy

I believe the person that killed that Police Officer fled the country dressed in a burka before he was brought back to face trial.

I'm going to buy one for when the TV licence goon comes round. Standing at the window motionless in one of those is enough.

Back