Gunman kills several in west Cumbria

so you are saying that your right not to be shot would take away the right of anyone to own a gun ,

so my right not to be hit by a arsehole who can not drive a car ,would then ban anyone from having a car

would my right not to get into to a fight with a noob in town at the weekend as he has had to much to drink give me the right to ban anyone from having a drink ?

you can make the rest up as i am sure there are lots more i could come up with

so you are saying that your right not to be shot would take away the right of anyone to own a gun .

I'm afraid so. sorry.

so my right not to be hit by a arsehole who can not drive a car ,would then ban anyone from having a car.

here we go.

would my right not to get into to a fight with a noob in town at the weekend as he has had to much to drink give me the right to ban anyone from having a drink ?

do you go out looking for new people to shoot?

your being silly now?

Last edited:
so you are saying that your right not to be shot would take away the right of anyone to own a gun .

I'm afraid so. sorry.

so my right not to be hit by a arsehole who can not drive a car ,would then ban anyone from having a car.

here we go.

your being silly now?

Why am I being silly , I have just used your logic and applied them to other scenarios ?

once again a knee-jerk reaction that is blown all out of proportion through one tragic event and the media hype

Why am I being silly , I have just used your logic and applied them to other scenarios ?

once again a knee-jerk reaction that is blown all out of proportion through one tragic event and the media hype

Blown out of proportion!!
How the fook can you blow it out of proportion,,people died at the hands of a nutter with a gun.

Its not one tragic event its been a few in recent years.

pmsl!!

:)

3 British soldiers have died in the past 7 days
we dont hear jack about that anymore

292 in afghanistan now

i am not blowing it out of proportion but it seems the general public of this country are only interested when it effects them

3 British soldiers have died in the past 7 days
we dont hear jack about that anymore

292 in afghanistan now

i am not blowing it out of proportion but it seems the general public of this country are only interested when it effects them

Thats always been the case tho. Out of sight out of mind some times. Normal human behaviour tho.

But you cant think just because the war is not a prevalent any more that we cant be shocked out outraged with this incident.

Unfortunately war by definition means killing and suffering. The killings is not the normal and is out of the blue. So different reactions from the public is normal.

Last edited:
Michael Ryan, Thomas Hamilton and now Derek Bird, all licensed gun owners.
Had they not had access to firearms would they have used a machete or whatever?
Personally i think probably not. We'll never know now but i think i'd take my chances with a guy wielding a machete over one with a gun pointed at my coconut anyday.

Probably not but I bet there are a million Rwandans who would beg to differ.

I'd say the chances are about even, most people couldn't hit a target from 10 yards but any munkey could swing a machete.

Guns should be electroncaly tagged and the police informed when they will be used and for which purpose. Police then give permission to use. Outside this the tag would flag up unauthorised use and action then taken.
Expensive to set up i hear you say. Well yes but make the gun license holders pay the fees to cover it.

I hardly think a lunatic gunman with a licensed firearm would inform a police officer that he's going out to murder Ian, I just don't see how it would work. TBH I really don't want to live in a world where I'm a hairs breath away from having a RFID tag inserted in my ass to make the public feel safer. It's an overreaction to a horrendous series of events which fortunately are very rare in the UK.

How about this then.

We ban joe public from keeping guns altogether.
Unless you can absolutely prove 100% you couldn't do your job without one you can't have a license.

Recreational shooting could be accommodated by licensing the locations (ie gun clubs, estates where game shooting is held etc) with the provision that all firearms are stored securely at the actual licensed location.

Thereafter anyone found with a gun in their possession gets an automatic 10yrs. No lawyers no trial, no excuses. Straight to jail do not pass go.

Put that idea back into your pocket mate, a free society means that I can sit at home and polish my guns to my hearts content.

Blown out of proportion!!
How the fook can you blow it out of proportion,,people died at the hands of a nutter with a gun.

Its not one tragic event its been a few in recent years.

Unlicensed firearms cause many more deaths than misused licensed ones hoppy. We don't even report those murders anymore so we mustn't get carried away by this rare but heinous crime.

But is it coincidence that the 3 massacres we've had in the UK in the last 20 odd years have all been shootings carried out by licensed gun owners?

Yet in the same period we haven't had one which involved a machete.

There was a multiple killings involving a machete a few years back (I think in a church) and one involving a released physco piatent and a sword.

Problem with guns vs knifes is it much easier to kill with a gun and at range.

I guess its very hard to spot that this gun was about to snap. Looking at my neighbours and work colleagues, it would not surprise me if this happened to one of them.

i was attacked with a machette, took it straight in the skull (honest, this isnt one of my usual pi$$ taking posts) in the middle of a town center on a friday afternoon, and nobody saw a fkin thing

there are more nutters out there with big knifes than there are with guns

There was a multiple killings involving a machete a few years back (I think in a church) and one involving a released physco piatent and a sword.

The sword episode was a friend of one of my workmates, he told me about it a few months ago.

I don't know what was scarier...the fact that he was swinging a sword around in church, or that he was naked.

Best Harry Callaghan quote ever:
When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

i am scared of confronting anyone in Birmingham

u dont know who is on crack carrying a blade

ye i do live in bimringham

try going down newtown lol

i seen bullet holes in cars

The sword episode was a friend of one of my workmates, he told me about it a few months ago.

I don't know what was scarier...the fact that he was swinging a sword around in church, or that he was naked.

Best Harry Callaghan quote ever:

Was that the same dirty Harry film that had the Mrs Gray Shetland pony quote in it?

Was that the same dirty Harry film that had the Mrs Gray Shetland pony quote in it?

Sorry for straying even more OT...

Lt. Dobbs: Are you finished with the questioning, Callahan?
Harry Callahan: Hypothetical situation, huh? All right, I'm standing on the street corner, and Mrs. Grey there comes up and propositions me. She says if I come home with her, for $5 she'll put on an exhibition with a Shetland pony...
Mrs. Grey: If this is your idea of humor, Inspector...
Lt. Dobbs: All right, what are you trying to do here, Callahan?
Harry Callahan: I'm just trying to find out if anybody in this room knows what the hell law is being broken, besides cruelty to animals.

Well the old "guns dont kill people" argument is rather specious.

Michael Ryan, Thomas Hamilton and now Derek Bird, all licensed gun owners.
Had they not had access to firearms would they have used a machete or whatever?
Personally i think probably not. We'll never know now but i think i'd take my chances with a guy wielding a machete over one with a gun pointed at my coconut anyday.

you may be suspicious, it don't make you point right. gun ownership (legal) in Cumbria is massive. outside of the towns, almost every other house has, one or more. yet this is the only thing, of this type, to happen there.

same old same old, LETS BAN STUFF WE DON'T LIKE, OR UNDERSTAND, THAT HAVE KILLED SOMEONE. using that premiss cars come to that any vehicle, should b banned. after all most deaths are caused by qualified, fully insured, drivers.

UK gun laws work, and very well. 35 gun, related, deaths per year (cant find figures, but the vast majority with ILLEGAL guns.) better than, almost, any other country.
USA, 35 GUN deaths, per day!

as for the people of Whitehaven, i feel for them. come to that, there is a better than even chance i am related to one or more of the dead. both parents came from small villages not more than 2 miles from Whitehaven. but, they are tough people. they need to be, they were abused for, over, 100 years. first coal and iron ore mining. vast numbers of people suffered from mining related breathing disorders. then the Chemical Plant, i knew as Marchon (proctor and gamble), polluted the port till it was unusable. swiftly followed by the closure of all the mines and the virtual, closure of the Mossbay Steelworks (Workington), Thanks to Thatcher. even so, though it took time, they had clawed themselves back.
now sadly, most will only know it for this Massacrer. no way to treat good people. IMHO.

Back