Gunman kills several in west Cumbria

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Several people have been killed and others injured after a gunman opened fire in several areas of west Cumbria.

Police are searching for the suspect, named as Derrick Bird, after shots were fired in Whitehaven, Seascale and Egremont.

He is believed to be heading towards the central Lakes area in a car with the registration ND55 ZFC.

A force spokesman said officers are working to establish the identities of those killed and wounded.

Police were initially called after shots were fired in Duke Street, Whitehaven, at 1035 BST.

People living across central and west Cumbria are being urged to stay indoors and drivers are being warned not to pick up hitchhikers in case the suspect is on foot.

A force spokesman said: "He was last seen heading south in the Central Lakes direction.

"He may have abandoned the car and be proceeding on foot. Armed police are currently working to apprehend him and advising members of the public in West and Central Lakes areas to go indoors and stay there until further notice."

BBC News - Gunman kills several in west Cumbria

Latest reports are 12 dead and 25 wounded. The gunman has been found dead. So 13 deaths.
Terrible news. Brings back sad memories of Dunblane and Hungerford.

Hi

Just seen this on news now. Terrible news this cant believe it. By all accounts he was a nice man..... Dont know what triggers nice people like this to suddenly do terrible things.

Regards

It's surprising how all these people are portrayed as nice people, then something snaps in there head and bang there uncontrollable gunmen or killers of some other nature.
Hard to understand , but it happens.

My thoughts are with the families involved in losing someone dear to them in such an unnecessary and disastrous way.

It's surprising how all these people are portrayed as nice people, then something snaps in there head and bang there uncontrollable gunmen or killers of some other nature.

My thoughts are with the families involved in losing someone dear to them in such an unnecessary and disastrous way.

Defenetly not the actions of a sane man. Only one question.... WHY?

not sure what your trying to say with this comment, at the end of the day from everyone spoken to he was a nice guy, and yes it woulod be safe to say something definately snapped in his head, which i suppose can happen to anyone really.

a friend lives in askham in furness , someone got done there as well, was gonna go up lakes this wekk as well, and would probably of ended up at either ambleside, hawkshead or coniston.

thank fook i got stuck into the garden.....................

i snapped at the weekend.. for no reason..

everything just got on top of me and today now ive calmed down still have no idea..

he may have been a nice blocke but something woulda caused him to switch like he did..

just be glad it was 12.. and not 120....

condolences to all who lost some one

The guys clearly insane, he had a scope on a shotgun - wtf.

Heard on the radio news that some of the injured received gun shot wounds to the face. This guy was clearly deranged

Heard on the radio news that some of the injured received gun shot wounds to the face. This guy was clearly deranged

Or he was a bad shot.

The shocking thing about this is taht it's barely raised an eyebrow. Not one person i spoke to today even mentioned it.

That could mean that as a society we are now numb to this type of thing or alternatively everyone I spoke to today is a ****.

Or he was a bad shot.

The shocking thing about this is taht it's barely raised an eyebrow. Not one person i spoke to today even mentioned it.

That could mean that as a society we are now numb to this type of thing or alternatively everyone I spoke to today is a ****.

Could be the latter V as it was the 1st thing mentioned it my work today, everyone seemed shocked about it.

Shocking story, some nutjob has ruined so many lives, the selfish barsteward, I hope he rots in hell (if there is one)

Could be the latter V as it was the 1st thing mentioned it my work today, everyone seemed shocked about it.

Shocking story, some nutjob has ruined so many lives, the selfish barsteward, I hope he rots in hell (if there is one)

Of course it's shocking mate.
But it doesn't shock as much as it once would have.

I think we now accept these things as a statistical inevitability.

this thread would have 10x more replys if it was about a kitten getting microwaved.

edit: i'm not trying to trivialize.

Last edited:
Or he was a bad shot.

I would agree with you, but I think I can understand why.

The overwhelming public reaction to this is sadness and sympathy, not outrage. We'd all be outraged if these people had been killed by criminals. The politicians would be yelling "Something must be done!" The newspapers would be foaming at the mouth.

The reality is that nothing could have, or can be done. There's no way of predicting when a previously sane person is going to lose it.

People are urging tighter gun controls, but I heard a senior police officer disagreeing with this. As he pointed out, we already have some of the toughest gun control laws in the world, and if someone flips, they can slaughter with a machete if they want.

People are urging tighter gun controls, but I heard a senior police officer disagreeing with this. As he pointed out, we already have some of the toughest gun control laws in the world, and if someone flips, they can slaughter with a machete if they want.

But is it coincidence that the 3 massacres we've had in the UK in the last 20 odd years have all been shootings carried out by licensed gun owners?

Yet in the same period we haven't had one which involved a machete.

Last edited:
But is it coincidence that the 3 massacres we've had in the UK in the last 20 odd years have all been shootings carried out by licensed gun owners?

Yet in the same period we haven't had one which involved a machete.

Are you advocating tougher gun legislation?

TBH the people who did shoot in clubs ect.. are the ones who have been punished over the years because of gun crime. ive not looked but i would like to think theres been more gun crime by non registered holders than registered holders (who have to jump through hoops to get registered).

someone suffering a breakdown (after being deemed fit to hold a license) isnt a good case to punish other registered firearms owners.

there is another way of looking at it, what if we all carried them, would it end more lifes or save more lifes? this guy wouldnt have got to the end of the street if we all carried. damned if you do damned if you dont.

its a shame it hapened no doubt dont let my words above confuse this, its a direct reply to a post not to the whole thread.

it shouldnt have happened but if someones got this in mind gun or not they'll find a way.

after reading about the guy though it had to be something that triggered (pardon the pun, not intended) this action. we are all mortal men, we all have the abilty to do this some are stronger than others mentally but no one can say without a shadow of doubt that they wouldnt do it too, once your gone (breakdown) your not yourself and your actions could turn out to be something you never dreamed you could even do.

some breakdown and cry some end up in mental homes some snap and go killing.

something drove this man over the edge, i cant imagine he just "did" this after the reports of what a good man he "was".

i would like to know why? but i fear he took "why" with him.

Back