got me a motobike

meanie

Inactive User
Reaction score
i just bought a motorbike nothing fancy one of these
not a new one a 2 year old one for £350
now i aint rode a momobike since ummm like 26 years cuz i crashed and broke leg lol
will it be easy to get back on and pick it up???
whats this cbt thing i got to do ?? is it easy peesey?
poohing me pants now i got it lol
well seemed a good idea at the time :)

I've just got back in the saddle myself after a break of 20 odd years - got myself a Honda Transalp 600 and it is fantastic! No problem with getting used to it - just put all your senses on high alert - theres a lot more traffic out there these days which means a lot more people willing to pull out in front of you! Don't know about the CBT stuff, I already have full license. Enjoy it mate.;o)

I'm making 2 assumptions here:
1 you dont have a full motorbike liscense, but you mention riding before ( so was that a 125 on L plates)
2 You have bought a 125cc , but the 250cc version.

If its the 125 and you already have a full car liscense passed before a certain year then you can happily ride on L plates forever.
They have put a stop to all that now!
If its the 250cc , then you will need to take CBT training and a test.
There was talk of making people take a multi choice test , even if you already drive a car.
The CBT is basic off road training with a final on road lesson.
You can not train without this!
this will only let you ride a 125.
Then you will need further lessons on roadcraft etc leading up to you full bike test.
This is taken with an examiner riding behind you and giving you verbal instructions.
Im not up to date with the new test as i took mine nearly 15 years ago.
If you choose direct acess then you could ride anything, otherwise you were restricted to 60bhp for 2 years.
Having riden before you will have bad habbits that you will have to un learn!
Anyway have fun and enjoy your ride.

been on a motorbike once, shat myself as my mate who was riding it was going fast especially round the roundabouts and I thought I was gonna fall off! lol.

I'm making 2 assumptions here:
1 you dont have a full motorbike liscense, but you mention riding before ( so was that a 125 on L plates)
2 You have bought a 125cc , but the 250cc version.

If its the 125 and you already have a full car liscense passed before a certain year then you can happily ride on L plates forever.
They have put a stop to all that now!
If its the 250cc , then you will need to take CBT training and a test.
There was talk of making people take a multi choice test , even if you already drive a car.
The CBT is basic off road training with a final on road lesson.
You can not train without this!
this will only let you ride a 125.
Then you will need further lessons on roadcraft etc leading up to you full bike test.
This is taken with an examiner riding behind you and giving you verbal instructions.
Im not up to date with the new test as i took mine nearly 15 years ago.
If you choose direct acess then you could ride anything, otherwise you were restricted to 60bhp for 2 years.
Having riden before you will have bad habbits that you will have to un learn!
Anyway have fun and enjoy your ride.

close no dont have a full momo bike licence riden before 26 years + ago on loads of stolen bikes all differant cc's has full car licence for 26 years so that mean i can ride this 125 forever on L plates?

You will need to take the CBT regardless. I was in the same position 18 months ago. You can ride a 50cc without L plates providing you passed your full car driving test before a certain date. If you step up to a 125cc you need to do the CBT and display L plates. Its a gray area when you read about it. I rang DVLA to check. Regards

and I think the cbt only lasts 2 years and if you haven't taken a full test the cbt has to be taken again
thats what Ive been told,don't hold me to that lol

thats why I decided to get a 50cc get it unrestricted (faster) so I could ride on a full car license (only use it for work)
again I think its a pass before 1990 anything after that a cbt is even needed for a 50cc

Cbt last 2yrs mate and is just to make sure you can basicly ride on a bike.
carpark jobby, round the cones, emergency stop etc
ear piece in on the road for 10 mins turn left turn right etc job done.
But same has car you can take it on a rev n rip auto but you cant ride a geared bike after or geared where you can ride both.

you seen the price of full bike tests now days :eek: £625 round my area
that is a 3 or 5 day course though but still mega dollar

Rat £650 by me that includes
* CBT
* 12 Lessons on a mixture of 125cc and 500cc machine
* Modules 1 & 2 Practical test
* Bike hire
* and Insurance.
but a lesson is 3hours a time at £50 so aint that bad,cbt £90

I'm sure a CBT was £130 when I inquired

as I said earlier in a post I went for a 50cc as I can ride on a car license :) only use scooter for work where max speed limit is 40MPH on the roads I use :)
scoot goes about 45mph ,I'm happy :)

although saying that I would of loved a GTS 300 Vespa :Drool:

OMG 650 POUNDS FOR YOUR LICENSE????

i'm 33 now and i did my full license when i was 17 which cost me 25 quid and an hours ride around pinner with an instructor and passed

they are really hanging out the training.............seems to me very money motivated.

good luck who ever is doing their license i hear its a lot harder these days

Last edited:
i was having lessons till i got re ended in March, keep meaning to start again but at moment just happy riding and getting road experience doing about 20miles eack way to work on either A roads and a stretch of national speed limit .
This is mine.

Back