Getting my Satellite working on my HTPC

digital worldz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys

Have had my htpc for a year or two now but never really used it much until I decided the other day that I wanted to use it as my satellite box! I intend to to get it all to work on Win7 Media Centre.

With that in mind my skystar2 card arrived this morning and I have all intentions of been looking around online for guides for the last 4/5 hours but can honestly say I now have information overload and none of it is fitting together.

So I figured I would ask the trusty community here for some advice. Let me just tell you what I'd like to initially get done.

I have a motorised setup for just for ease for now I will be sticking to 28e (sky) so I don't have to concern myself about multiple satellites and stuff.

I would like all the channels working in MCE if possible, a bit like this chap has

Windows 7 Media Centre (W7MC) - Live TV EPG - Sky and Freesat - YouTube

I would also like use cccam for now as I will be decrypting my official sub that is currently in my db. I know I should be on oscam but I aint got round to swapping over yet and as I'd like to do the bulk of this tomorrow don't really fancy having to learn oscam (though I will do a real crash course if I have to)

Also how does MCE read cccam/oscam or any cam?

Been looking that a lot of people have been using dvblink? Is it worth it/necessary?

Are there thing like channel lists for MCE like there are for dreamboxes?

Guys any help here would be appreciated.

I do promise that should I get this working I will write a full guide on how to do it so that future generations will be helped.

there was a tread about this a few months ago detailing how to get cccam working in windows. Can't seem to find it right now.

Its quite a bit of time ago but i use to use DVBviewer as my main prog for watching sat channels it may have cost around £15 but was well worth it and very easy to setup, As for cccam i never got around that far but i did use vplug and had that working alongside DVBviewer i would imagine that cccam will work alongside it quite easily as well.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I am slowly putting bits of the puzzle together, lol.

@manic What is that mate? Also the link you gave me seems to want me to sign up, is there a way to d/l without signing up?

i done a one a while ago if it's any help....

HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
@dibbers

Mate that looks like a good setup.

Was it dvblink where the db streams to mce yea?

Also how did you sort the channels and get those icons?

Well it was, the plan at the time to stream the dream to all the xbox 360's and then i decided (many moons ago as you can tell by the date of that thread) that i wanted a HTPC and ever since that day i was chasing the Holly grail! ah, years have passed and i ended up with a new build and a nice revo to play all me movies and that back, how ever it was quite easy to follow, but as stated there was a few important bits that i had to follow, i remember kicking my self once for not reading the tut and that over and over from there site!

I think it's about £15.00 quid or some thing but once you get it up and running then it works quite sweet, how ever the speed of the processors on the 360's is rubbish so was always lagging, not actually when watching some thing but scrolling the menus would take ages, how ever, saying that, if you have a kick ass PC based system then it should run along mighty fine.....

All your channels what you have on the Dreambox will appear on the windows media center pc/consoles....

You've got me itching now to have another bash at it...! dang it..(got the devil on one shoulder!) but that would mean me setting it up on this build (which is fresh!) or setting it up on the mce on the revo but that would be pointless as I'd be watching the Dreambox back via the same TV as the revo is plugged in, all though saying that it would give the dream a whole new skin! but i think the revo would be slow maybe around the menus....tik tok..! could put on me new build here in the lab like........decisions, decissions! ha!

I've just been watching a channel back here on me PC funnily enough and was thinking, wasn't that good (through VLC mind ya!) shall i get another screen to sit next to me main rig here in the lab, but then that's me all the way back to square one and have to say to my self "no! TV =sitting room" "lab = modding" ;o)

ha!

but yeah any way, just read the tut and read it again, bits you have to leave mce open when you run the programs but hey if i can do it then any one can !

Good luck there roger......i know your names not roger, well i don't think it is any way.....but good luck shall you decide to go down that "head scratching" router of streaming the dream to mce!

*scurrys off to see if he still has the remotes for mce!*

Last edited:
Back