General question about bootloader and the thing it boots!

groper

Inactive User
Reaction score
Aloha,

First off, let me kiss some butt. I just joined, and this seems like a very lovely forum indeed. Very useful feedback from knowledgeable admins. I have therefore decided that for that reason, and the fact that the DW 800SE image seems to be going down so well with others here, the DW image is the first I will install.

Okay. Onto the question.

What happens if the bootloader gets out of sync with the image it needs to load. I read in a thread about having to update the loader having flashed the DW image 'without rebooting'. My question is specifically, what if I install the image and don't install the SSL and reboot. Presumably the stop mode will still be available and i'd then be able to flash the right SSL? It's the 'without rebooting' part that got my pants in a twist and made me wonder what the dependencies were.

Similarly, what if i install a bootloader first and the image is not compatible.. Same question as above. I'll have this stop mode still, right?

All i'm trying to figure here is whether the stop mode is hardware/ROM related and that i'll be able to rely on it being there despite anything i would intentionally flash. I'd feel better if someone just answer 'yes' :)

The other question, what are these bootloaders? Are they either grub/lilo (old school BLs)? I'll find out soon when my box arrives i guess.

If that's a long post for such a simple questions, I know.

Many thanks.

SSL84, is a bootloader (Second Stage Loader) is flashed onto receiver. and Second means something else go first:) that will be the The SIM is like a phone SIM. normally Sim 2.1
that must be a ROM which you not can erase, only hardware exchange(but I am not sure)

somebody else will answer, I a bit new to this as you

Hi! I have been wanting to update my image for a while but I am finding it a bit confusing due to my inexperience. Is there any step by step post that could help me with that and to decide which one is best for me. I have a 800se sim2.1. Not quite sure about the SSL84 but I think it is that one.

Hi mate

If your current image is already on a 84ssl Flash the DW image don't reboot start browser flashing again and then flash the 84ssl then reboot.

If your current image is below 84 youll need to flash the 84ssl before as well.

Thanks Ferret,

I will give it a go and I will let you know if I run into problems.

Back