Gas leak - Pierced 22mm pipe with screw !!

. I am a Sparky by trade i have no doubt most of your electrics is not to regs,

not mine i had a full rewire today lol.

but if your in the trade you know things that others dont know about your trade.

i could say im chucking a 11kw shower in but im using the old wiring from the 9.5kw shower,

piss easy aint it just like wiring a plug,

but you know as well as i do it aint that simple and could cause fire/damage? as the old wire could be too thin to handle the 11kw shower.

people always think it piss easy and it'll be ok,

can i ask if you was planning to disconnect the meter during this repair? or was that an oversight you didnt mention as you did mention the drop test?

If you are using a compression fitting you want a 22mm Conex 301, however I am led to believe regs say you are not 'supposed' to use compression fittings where they cannot be easily accessed ie. under the floor or inside a wall.

On the other hand if you hold a lit match near the joint you should be able to tell if it's still leaking if it flickers around. ;) JK

If you are using a compression fitting you want a 22mm Conex 301, however I am led to believe regs say you are not 'supposed' to use compression fittings where they cannot be easily accessed ie. under the floor or inside a wall.

On the other hand if you hold a lit match near the joint you should be able to tell if it's still leaking if it flickers around. ;) JK

Compression fittings have to be accesible at all times if used for gas earwig you are right mate. Ive also been to gas leaks where householders have used feckin push fit fittings on the gas carcass. Beggars believe sometimes !!

Wtf use a lit match this is going from bad to worse dont mess about GET A GAS SAFE ENGINEER IN before its too late.

I have seen Corgi (old days) do worse work than me. I am a Sparky by trade i have no doubt most of your electrics is not to regs, does that make it unsafe....

Anyway got the answer, need fit a coupler and get it pressure tested again for cert to be valid.

It is not illegal to do your own work and i feel totally competent but i am from an engineering background.

I wouldn't use the c section trick lol

But I would buy a straight coupler and if the space is tight get the ones with the solder ring on the inside then a bit of flux and your away. Heat it up job done.

If you've already fitted the boiler, then u are competent enough to ensure u can fit the coupler properly.

I'm not advising everybody to start doing their own gas work but if you know what you are doing(bilabonic has just installed the boiler on his own) then it’s just as easy as doing the water.

Obviously the consequences are bigger if you cock it up

Last edited:
I'm not advising everybody to start doing their own gas work but if you know what you are doing(bilabonic has just installed the boiler on his own) then it’s just as easy as doing the water.

Obviously the consequences are bigger if you cock it up

No shit lol

Do it the right way m8 at least you will be able to sleep at night.

na if you do it the worng way you will still sleep at night just maybe not wake in the morning

I only use end feed fittings. All sorted now and tested. Just fitted a coupler. Would prob use that 'c' bit pipe trick if was on water though with pin hole...lol

I only use end feed fittings. All sorted now and tested. Just fitted a coupler. Would prob use that 'c' bit pipe trick if was on water though with pin hole...lol

Thank fk
Since you stopped replying id feared the worst. That 'c' bit pipe trick wants deleting from your head mt ;)
Stick to couplings even if takes 2 of the beggars and a piece of pipe inbetween
Glad to see you back ;)

phone transco well national grid they will fix it for free, they are an emergency service National Grid: Emergency 0800 111 999

They won't fix it. All they'll do is make the premises safe. Basically they knock the gas supply off which anyone can do. They may come in with a detector to find the point of a leak but pointless in this situation since he knows where and why it's leaking.

As for the C repair. I'd say it'd be absolutely fine and repairs/enginuity like that was once what made British engineering great. Always a way to fix a problem if the proper stuff is not available. I would fix it with a coupler though just as the op did in the end.

Last edited:
Also bit more info for peeps. The coupler i used was not a standard one which only slides half way along pipe. It was a slide type which you self centre. Very handy if you have no 'play' in pipes. Simply cut and fit.

Obviously with LaCo flux which i love and my trusty Benzo TS7000 Mapp gas torch.

:Clap:

They won't fix it. All they'll do is make the premises safe. Basically they knock the gas supply off which anyone can do. They may come in with a detector to find the point of a leak but pointless in this situation since he knows where and why it's leaking.

As for the C repair. I'd say it'd be absolutely fine and repairs/enginuity like that was once what made British engineering great. Always a way to fix a problem if the proper stuff is not available. I would fix it with a coupler though just as the op did in the end.

they have a budget of around £10 per job and im sure they would be able to do this job for less rather than just making it safe

transco will just shut the gas off end of...... dont know if its still the same with them but they didnt used to have gas trained engineers only in house trained people which means they could only touch/alter/fix anything before the meter, anything after the meter they wasnt qualified to touch.

i think they have some engineers now who are properly trained but even so there lazy buggers and will just switch you off and you will then need to get someone else in.

fitted my gas boliler myself also last year then had a freind corgi registered come and safety test it in exchange for redoing his dm500c everytime it went down
he commented on how neat a job it was as said he wouldnt go to all the trouble i did .
obviously his time is money .

just had it inspected a few weeks ago, annual service and the guys didnt have a clue without the manual .

as the gas pipe went under the floor boards i covered it with the steel plating used to protect cables in a wall . to help avoid situations like the one in this thread.

plumbing either water or gas is common sense .

Back