Severe gas leak, after it ok'd

Erm, I think they are more likely to do a better job than you are.

Its debatable not all are competant, boilers are quite complex in my experience some of the plumbers put radiators in positions for convenience of pipe runs and not for efficiency
My boiler is manufactured by ideal and these are the people I will most likely use to do a proper job
Our monthly gas bill has just been reduced from £55 to £27 so after 13 years its still going strong

Its debatable not all are competant, boilers are quite complex in my experience some of the plumbers put radiators in positions for convenience of pipe runs and not for efficiency
My boiler is manufactured by ideal and these are the people I will most likely use to do a proper job
Our monthly gas bill has just been reduced from £55 to £27 so after 13 years its still going strong

Jeez pal I can't get mine under £100 a month on DD !!

All that may be true, however it only needs to go bang once and you wont be around to tell us the outcome.
This website is great for getting good advice but sometimes you see some appalling advice, service your own boiler is at the top of the list. The only way I can possibly accept that advice is that if you are a trained gas engineer but maybe haven't renewed your gas safe certificate.

All that may be true, however it only needs to go bang once and you wont be around to tell us the outcome.
This website is great for getting good advice but sometimes you see some appalling advice, service your own boiler is at the top of the list. The only way I can possibly accept that advice is that if you are a trained gas engineer but maybe haven't renewed your gas safe certificate.

Surely the point of this whole topic is that in some instances 'we' could do a better job than the trained engineers you speak of pal, the OP could have died purely through the actions of one of them.

Have you never changed the brakes on your own car?

Surely the point of this whole topic is that in some instances 'we' could do a better job than the trained engineers you speak of pal, the OP could have died purely through the actions of one of them.

Have you never changed the brakes on your own car?

No i've never changed the brakes on my car, as I don't know what i'm doing then it would be dangerous for me to do so. Likewise i've never serviced a boiler.

I think it's apparent that the trained engineer in this instance should be struck off for doing such a poor job.

I thought the topic was a rant about poor workmanship and then somebody suggested that we should do our own servicing, if a trained engineer can do such a bad job do you not think there would be an increased chance of something going badly wrong if someone like myself or the op were to do their own servicing.

been looking at these responses and i saw the diy servicing post and thought OMG

are you mad??

do you know what you are doing??

i am gas safe registered engineer and the fella who left a leak will more than likely get a visit from the HSE and a gas safe inspector and more likely get struck off

but for the post on servicing your own boiler, its on your back so if something went desperatly wrong......then good luck explaining yourself.

i went to college to learn my trade and i like to think i know what i'm talking about,

please for your own safety get an engineer to service your boiler.

since the emergency guy came the other night, he left me a key to access my meter, unlike the other guy did, anyway i could believe what i notice when i approached the white box on the wall....it's almost bloody hanging off, i think about one screw left holding it in.... the screws are clearly visiable with the raw plugs attached around them, if the other one goes, the whole lot will come crashing down....and also the white box covering it isn't even attactched to it, there are 2 holes in the top of it where gromets go, so i presume something is supposed to go through the holes to attach the out covering to stop it coming off.... anyway i took a few wee pics and also of the pipe where the cap was left off..

can someone answer this question for me please....inside the door of this meter cupboard there are 2 vents...why has the top one been covered with parcel tape inside...u can see what i mean in one of the pics attached. ?

box.jpg

box-1.jpg

cap.jpg

pipenocap.jpg

boxdoor.jpg

omg......i can not believe what i have just seen in my loft....i went up the loft to get something and noticed this.......on the outside of wall where the pipe comes through, they have attached an earth wire on clamp on pipe outside, the wire comes through wall, where u would expect it to connect to, perhaps the electic box or something of earth, well **** me, it comes through me wall 2 inch's and thats it....just cut off hanging in the mid of no where..

i'm now gonna make sure this guy is by law never allowed to touch gas again...i'm sure he's out to get me, if one won't do it, the next one should, if that don't do it the next one will...lol

Last edited:
M8 definitely report this scumbag , I can't believe the state of that job, I would be seriously reporting him to every known authority, ie: Corgi (or similar) HSE, the council, Transco and anybody else I could find who regulates or deals with Gas saftey and supply.

It's shocking to think that there are contractors who will do such a shite job they are actually putting peoples lives at risk.

M8 definitely report this scumbag , I can't believe the state of that job, I would be seriously reporting him to every known authority, ie: Corgi (or similar) HSE, the council, Transco and anybody else I could find who regulates or deals with Gas saftey and supply.

It's shocking to think that there are contractors who will do such a shite job they are actually putting peoples lives at risk.

Same here, I would DEMAND the whole job is redone by a different company as well hunni. Its a complete mess and if there was a leak, whats to say the other joints are going to hold up for years to come !

well this is the update.....me gas is up and running now...finally...

i had been given a number to me the other day by southern gas networks....after making loads of calls and everyone telling me to ring this number and this number and this number..lol anyway,

they got through to a guy on standby for the weekend, although he didn't do anything other then give the numbers for the right direction...yeah point less i know, anyway the number i was given was for a guy who was in charge of morrison, or so i thought he worked for morrison, anyway, it turned out he actually worked for SGN and was in charge of the construction workers...or something like that....

He had the report of a gas leak at my address and after speaking to him, i said that i need to get a HSE inspector round first don't I, i said this because i thought this guy i was talking too worked for morrison, but he didn't, he was an inspector for SGN ....opssss...lol

We made a time for 2 oclock today for him to come and inspect it and to bring an engineer with him.....which he did.

He came in and explained who he was and who the other fella was....inspector and engineer.

so i started off with the works that had been carried out....from Monday to Friday, up until the gas board came out early hours sat (fri night) at around 2 oclock. He took notes as i spoke, in step by step stage. I told him i had taken photo's of the cap being left on shelf, the meter hanging of the wall and earth wire etc.... he asked to look at them, so i showed him on the pc...

he gave me his memory stick and asked me if i could transfere the pics onto that, which i did.

i told him, that all weekend that i had been without, hot water, no heating and nothing to cook on and that i had been living out of the takeaway shop all weekend... .. well, i've got an emmersion heater as me boiler is a back boiler, me hob is gas, although me oven is a fan oven and me air conditioning unit on wall in front romm also has a heater blower on it......not to mention that i always live out of the takeaway shop all weekend and most of the week anyway...lol

he asked if i had any of the receipts for the takeaways, i said, well no, i'm not telling u this because i want to claim anything back for it, i'm just saying how i lived for the weekend....no problem, because u have been without gas for 24 hrs, u are allowed £30 per day for food, so i'll get a cheque in the post to u for £60.... ok if u insist....lol

anyway, told him about how he messed me around all of last week and his attitude on friday, so he noted that all down.....he also see for him self the meter box nearly hanging off the wall.

so off he went, leaving this guy to find the fault...

he was a nice guy, very placid in himself, the kind that lets customers let off steam to him, although he wasn't even present at the time it happened...oh and not that i did...lol, but he knows how to be with customers, just listens without interrupting in what they are saying.....i see that as a very good point. I think if ur interrupting them as they are trying to explain something, then customers may see u as a arugmentive kinda person.

anyway, i let him crack on. offered him a soft deink, which he excepted, went down stairs and let me neighbours dog out so i could have a fag, didn't wanna have one in flat..lol

he told me, step by step what he was doing. cutting pipe half way through run and capping it off...trying to eliminate section by section...

all ok, he took the front of me fire off, all ok, then the back boiler bit, the bit attaches to fire, if u know what i mean...lol

checked all that, that all ok.

he then took oven out so he could get access to the gas point where it connects to me hob, checked all that and thats all ok.

there's only one thing left to check and thats the pipe behind the larder cupboard where it was connected from the new pipe to the old excisting pipe.

so i unscrew it all and he helps me lift it out for me, he checks that connection and that is all ok, then suddenly he checks an old excisting fittiing at the bottom of the old pipe which has an elbow on it and wollahhhhhh, there it is.......
and u know what, the guy that was here on friday new it was loose and didn't even bother to tighten it up....i'll tell u how i know this.......

because he was in a stroopy mood, he took out the meter and i had previously told him i couldn't take out the larder cupboard until he removed the meter as the flexi pipes on either side of meter ran through either of the cupboard. although when he came to check out the job, he was gonna get a chippy round to move it...i had to point out to him that if he done that, then the chippy would of said .. and he couldn't move the cupboard until meter was out cos of the pipes running through either side of it.....duhhhhhh

i told him at that point i would take it out myself, being as it was me that fitted the kitchen in the first place....anyway, he removed the meter and walked off saying...tina just need u now to remove cupboard and then walked off downstairs to his van with his mate and waited there untill i had removed it. stroppy bastard.

anyway, i had to lift all the flooring up first as i couldn't move cupboard cos of legs wouldn't go over the flooring unless i lifted it, which i couldn't do on my own, so removed all the flooring so i could drag it out of it's hole.

As i'm doing this, the flexi pipes were still attached to the pipes either side. so i'm dragging the cupboard along with these pipes. the long pipe which was gonna have new pipe attched to it, came forward along with the cupboard, so i stopped what i was doing and shouted down to him to come up and remove pipe......so he poked it through the hole, stood back and waited for me to remove the cupboard.....cutting off his nose to spite his face come back on him didn't it. if he had help me lift it over the flooring this leak wouldn't have happened...

anyway,so the excisting pipe was now tlilting towards towards him, oh whats happened there he said, well it's obvious ain't it, i dragged it with the cupboard.

this join is on a compression join and i know i'm blonde, but give me some credit, i put the whole kitchen in myself, even i know that if a pipe has been moved forward and then pushed back, it will need tightening up...no not him, he just pushed it back to the wall and carried on...so there u have it. that was the result of it....and i told this to the inspector before he had left and even before this was found to be the result of it. Incompatence is the way i see it......i'm a bird and not gas safe and i would of known to grab some grips or adjustables to tighten that joint. teach that prat to be stroppy in future maybe.

The guy that was here today done a real good job today, checking everything including nothing that the other guy had touched..i.e boiler, gas hob etc...

even he was pleased that he eventually found the fault. lol

so i gave him a drink (u know what i mean) although he declined it, so i shoved it in his pocket.....oh yeah i did say to him, did u service me boiler whilst u had it all out....lol

i'm a pratt i know...

anyway, he now has to put his report in about it, but will mention about the pipe tilting forward like i said.... and just got to wait to hear...as they hav e to do other checks, like on any history of this sort of thing etc.......i told them, i'm not taking this likely at all and will be chasing this around.

me brother n law is a gas fitter and although i don't want to drag him into other peoples work, i asked him for the form about reporting someone under RIDDOR which he has gievn me and i've yet to go through it to see what it is all about.

thanks guy's for all ur support. x

so i gave him a drink (u know what i mean) although he declined it, so i shoved it in his pocket.....oh yeah i did say to him, did u service me boiler whilst u had it all out....lol

that reminds me of a film dutcho sent me ;) lol

i wouldnt let this go tina, id even push the angle that it was deliberate

that reminds me of a film dutcho sent me ;) lol

i wouldnt let this go tina, id even push the angle that it was deliberate

Pah you beat me to it !

All the way through that I was thinking 'yeah and your dressing gown fell open to reveal you nakedness, and so the guy with the dungarees and the huge wrench.....' etc.

:)

Glad he sorted you out tho T and your hole got filled, erm, i mean the leak...erm.....

this is your life timmy lee, it may not turn out how you want it to be, but you'll get by timmy lee.....

one for the oldies re: window cleaner lol....

He was was in ITV's sitcom Benidorm last week, he's not aged very well...! Did remind me to go to my shed and find my spanners though, so something useful came out of it...!

He was was in ITV's sitcom Benidorm last week, he's not aged very well...! Did remind me to go to my shed and find my spanners though, so something useful came out of it...!

i know i watched it with the missus and said straight away thats that timmy lee, i thought he hadnt aged much, movie was 1974.

after i explained she said "trust you to know that" lol.

confessionsofawindowcleanertitle.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Window_Cleaner

Last edited:
i know i watched it with the missus and said straight away thats that timmy lee, i thought he hadnt aged much, movie was 1974.

It was the best one on the series from what I remember?

You may be right about his aging, maybe he's just "weathered" a bit... Can't all stay good looking studs, like me...! Lol. :Hit:

Back