Severe gas leak, after it ok'd

I'm just glad the Parrot is ok!

That's a true Tale of Terror, suitable for Halloween.

It was the best one on the series from what I remember?

You may be right about his aging, maybe he's just "weathered" a bit... Can't all stay good looking studs, like me...! Lol. :Hit:

Yeah pal, you and Vicky Leyton have both weathered the same.

me brother n law is a gas fitter and although i don't want to drag him into other peoples work, i asked him for the form about reporting someone under RIDDOR which he has gievn me and i've yet to go through it to see what it is all about.

thanks guy's for all ur support. x

HSE: RIDDOR - report an incident at work

Have a read on there too, hopefully will help answer any questions about the report you need to file.

HSE: RIDDOR - report an incident at work

Have a read on there too, hopefully will help answer any questions about the report you need to file.

tbh i dont think general public can fill those out, i know we had them in our vans for when we spotted dodgy work, but i dont recall ever seeing or being allowed to issue them to the public.

if we got a report of dodgy work from general public we went round and filled the form in and reported it.

so i think you may need to get someone round as you have and they report it.

i maybe wrong or they may have changed the way it works but that was the way when i worked for united utilities on the gas side.

All that may be true, however it only needs to go bang once and you wont be around to tell us the outcome.
This website is great for getting good advice but sometimes you see some appalling advice, service your own boiler is at the top of the list. The only way I can possibly accept that advice is that if you are a trained gas engineer but maybe haven't renewed your gas safe certificate.

The whole heating system was installed by myself 13 years ago the boiler came with a installation manual and a service manual I dont expect it to go bang

I am not advising people to service their own stuff I am just saying that some of us are competant

The whole heating system was installed by myself 13 years ago the boiler came with a installation manual and a service manual I dont expect it to go bang

no nor does anyone else, when i played with matches as a kid a didnt expect to get burnt, but i did.

I am not advising people to service their own stuff I am just saying that some of us are competant

or is it some of us think we're competent? ive trained in it and i can tell you theres more variables than you thing there is, the manual covers very little in the gas/ saftey side of things, hence why its a "user" manual and not an engineer manual.

without googling whats your burner pressure? working pressure? how do you work out if you have enough ventilation or whether your boiler needs any, what the safety shut off time ect.... all part of a service and safety and if you dont know them then you think your competent but in reality your not, its not a case of saying well i dont touch the gas side, if you cant spot faults and i dont mean breakages i mean stuff like the above then you are not competent you just think you are.

note the above, whats in your manual from 13 yrs ago may not be not to current standards or even illegal yes even if its in your manual, they change the goal posts daily it seems now.

do you even own a ugauge to take pressure readings ect...?

another little fact you may not know it isnt actually illegal to work on your own appliances but you are responsible for your actions and if your found to have screwed up you will get the book thrown at you and be doing time, they dont take it lightly, so i wont say dont do it but i will say if you dont know what your doing dont, and that includes if you "think" your competent.

im sorry its not a dig or a personal slur but you saying your competent to me isnt 100% true, on the other hand if you know all that stuff then just be carefull as your still liable to be banged up if you do screw up just like anyone else.

Last edited:
or is it some of us think we're competent? ive trained in it and i can tell you theres more variables than you thing there is, the manual covers very little in the gas/ saftey side of things, hence why its a "user" manual and not an engineer manual.

without googling whats your burner pressure? working pressure? how do you work out if you have enough ventilation or whether your boiler needs any, what the safety shut off time ect.... all part of a service and safety and if you dont know them then you think your competent but in reality your not, its not a case of saying well i dont touch the gas side, if you cant spot faults and i dont mean breakages i mean stuff like the above then you are not competent you just think you are.

note the above, whats in your manual from 13 yrs ago may not be not to current standards or even illegal yes even if its in your manual, they change the goal posts daily it seems now.

do you even own a ugauge to take pressure readings ect...?

another little fact you may not know it isnt actually illegal to work on your own appliances but you are responsible for your actions and if your found to have screwed up you will get the book thrown at you and be doing time, they dont take it lightly, so i wont say dont do it but i will say if you dont know what your doing dont, and that includes if you "think" your competent.

im sorry its not a dig or a personal slur but you saying your competent to me isnt 100% true, on the other hand if you know all that stuff then just be carefull as your still liable to be banged up if you do screw up just like anyone else.

Getting a little heated arn't we [pun]
made a ugage out of tubing nailed to a piece of wood

Anyway if you work for Ideal can you come and service my boiler its about time I had it done to conform

At the end of the day the story started with a supposedly competant gas eng who cocked up I am saying some of us feel confident working with gas

By the way the manuals that came with the boiler were installation and service the user leaflet got lost years ago

But if I screw up just this once I dont mind flying rubber dogshit out of hong kong........

I usually find all my own gas leaks with a box of matches, then I repair them with either Blu-Tac or chewing gum.

I reckon I'm more qualified than that muppet that did Tinas work.

I have no problems working with gas, repairing or extending pipes, servicing my boiler, I fitted central heating from scratch in my last place and just to be sure I paid fifty quid to have it checked and certificated, no problems found, that's not to say anyone can do it, all people are different, the guy in the first post has, it seems become complacenet, either that or he simply hasn,t got a clue and maybe has never been formally trained.

I have no problems working with gas, repairing or extending pipes, servicing my boiler, I fitted central heating from scratch in my last place and just to be sure I paid fifty quid to have it checked and certificated, no problems found, that's not to say anyone can do it, all people are different, the guy in the first post has, it seems become complacenet, either that or he simply hasn,t got a clue and maybe has never been formally trained.

thats the way people should do it if they want to fit/install there own, fit it then pay to get it commissioned.

and to the other guy i hope the crack about the hose as a ugauge was a joke or you have just proved yourself to be not competent.

anyway we are hijacking a thread about someone else who is beyond ridiculous, keep us informed on what happens, id be surprised if he wasnt qualified or he wouldnt be working for a utilities company as they do the reconnects, maybe he was newly trained or just an idiot, im interested to know what happens next.

Last edited:
its got markings on and you need to test the pressure by filling it to a certain level, not enough and it wont show a drop, even correctly done with gauge a drop sometimes is hard to see as leaks are not always full on pissing leaks, the slow ones are probably worse.

tests done over a set time too, new installs no drop existing installs theres a permitted range.

also you cant take working or burner presure without the markings, so you cant say its not over gassing or under gassing ect...ect...

so it is a tube with fluid yes but it isnt a bit of hose, you wouldnt use a spoon for brain surgery would you / even if you can scoop with it. i wouldnt stand over a body with a spoon and say i was competent.

anyway going off topic again,

i wait for updates on original post.

Last edited:
Man you are on a mission arn't you I USED THE swg which basically the gas pressure has to push the water 3 inches up the tube

why dont you get in touch with teeny and sort her problems out rather than slagging people that attempt and suceed to do their own work and save time and money all you are trying to do is convince me that you are competant

read my words I am not interested so let this be the last

Last edited:
Man you are on a mission arn't you I USED THE swg which basically the gas pressure has to push the water 3 inches up the tube

why dont you get in touch with teeny and sort her problems out rather than slagging people that attempt and suceed to do their own work and save time and money all you are trying to do is convince me that you are competant

read my words I am not interested so let this be the last

f*ck me you want some tissues for the tears man,

what mission, i made a post you beefed back i answered then someone else asked me a question so i answered.

you show me where i slagged anyone off, i only said your not competent you only think you are and you've still not proved me wrong,

sorry if you think your manly hood has been questioned, not my problem.

f*ck me you want some tissues for the tears man,

what mission, i made a post you beefed back i answered then someone else asked me a question so i answered.

you show me where i slagged anyone off, i only said your not competent you only think you are and you've still not proved me wrong,

sorry if you think your manly hood has been questioned, not my problem.

Gosh if I keep replying to you I will soon have 3500 posts thanks for the offer of tissues I have a blinding cold
Sir I dont think I need to prove anything to any one, you never replied when I asked if you worked for Ideal.

Oh, my manly hood it was terminated a few years ago had a cronic desease
never been the same since

Gosh if I keep replying to you I will soon have 3500 posts thanks for the offer of tissues I have a blinding cold
Sir I dont think I need to prove anything to any one, you never replied when I asked if you worked for Ideal.

Oh, my manly hood it was terminated a few years ago had a cronic desease
never been the same since

just for the sake of your sanity i will answer, no i dont work for ideal nor do i need to, ideal are a manufacturer just like anyone else, the boilers work in the same way and the safety aspects are the same as any other boiler.

does a washing machine repair man only work on hotpoint machines? no.

ideal have there own engineers but thats just like any other company employing people,

could i work for ideal? yes if i applied,

you dont need anything extra skill wise or qualification wise to work for a manufacturer, the only thing that differs is that you dont see any other boilers except ideal,

if id have known you was on my case because i didnt answer your question i would have answered sooner.

now for the third time of asking can we wait till the OP reports back with more new on the case?

Back