Severe gas leak, after it ok'd

Teeny

Inactive User
Reaction score
last month new gas pipes were fitted in whole street....then a fitter had to come round and run copper piping from white box outside where our meters are now going to be fitted inside, to connect to inside our properties to exciting steel pipes, where they remove meter from....

Arrangements had been made between us for him to come on Monday morning.
I couldn't get time off, so I got out early, got me route done so I could get back for them. I phoned him and said “I’m home so anytime from now is ok.”
They were working on a job in same street about 100yds up road....eventually I rang them and said “ u haven't forgotten me have u? “no they said....15 min later they arrived and said “ we can't finish it all today, as he's got a hang over from the weekend and we got a council meeting at Greenwich at 3 clock “ oh ok, 'yeah rite'.

We all like a drink and I’ve done it me self loads of times drinking all weekend, anyway they done pipe work in loft and said they’d be back tomorrow to do outside pipe work, but won't have time to do inside as he's going to football match, Tottenham, oh ok.

Normally by now, I would have said a few stern words to them, but no, I was being tolerant with them which is very unusual for me. They said they would be back tomorrow.

In the mean time, everyday since Monday they have stored their ladders in our block in foyer downstairs.
They done pipe work outside and only had one more visit just to remove meter from inside flat to downstairs and reconnect old pipe work to new pipe work.

About 12.30 on Wednesday, I phoned and said I’d be home in 20 min, so anytime after that is fine. Ok he said. Barring in mind, it took me all last weekend to clear the loft and remove screws from loft flooring for them to gain access to run pipes through underneath. I’d got everything ready for them so they wouldn't have to do nothing but to run pipes through.

They eventually turned up about 3.30 on Wednesday, propped their ladders up against the stairs and said
“I haven’t got time to day, we’ve had a call out to someone that has got no gas “...oh great, but you are going to want to store your ladders here though (joking around like) oh ok. We can't come on Thursday as we are to busy so will have to come on Friday.

On Friday morning as well as doing me route at work, I also had to take the parrot to the vets, which is 25 miles away. I rushed there and back and about 12.30 I then phoned him and said “ I’ll be about 20 minutes “ He said “ Oh sorry can't do it today as we’ve had a call out. “

Well that was it; I was all out of tolerance now. Well if u can't do today, you best get someone else down that can. I asked for his office number and he said he didn't know it...lol
The conversation went on a bit, so I said “ok fair enough “and I put the phone down.

When I got home, I had noticed he had gone from the flat that I see him working at when I picked the parrot up to take her to the vets, also I had noticed the ladders were back in my flat, where as, they wasn’t there when I picked parrot up. (I’m raving now) I phoned him up and asked him “why are the ladders back in my flat when you had already taken them earlier?” I told him, you’ll have to move them as I can't have them there all weekend. He said “well I don't know where I’m going to put them then, I’ll just have to throw them out on the road side “. Do what you like with mate, they are not my ladders and this isn’t my problem.
Fecking cheek, anyway he said he'd be coming back later to do the work and was rattling on about other jobs he has still got to do.

Feck me, when he arrived, he was totally pissed off and revved up and didn't mind letting me know he was either. He done the job and was about to leave when I said “aren’t you going to test it first? “He said
“He has already done a drop down test on the meter downstairs “oh ok. It was around 4.00pm on Friday when he left. Around 1.30 in the morning (sat) me and the parrot was in kitchen and I was sure I could smell gas now and again.
Being as it during night, I thought I’d just turn the emergency/shut off handle off and sort it tomorrow, oh where the feck is it then. The old one was in the kitchen cupboard but I don't know where this one is.

So I phoned the gas board emergency number and explained that I had works done and wasn't sure if I could smell gas or not, also I couldn't find the turn off point. They said it's by the meter, oh well I can't access that either because he hasn’t left me a key to get into box. I hadn't even realised that. I would have been fecked when I needed to top up my card.

Anyway they came out within an hour and probed the kitchen pipes which were all ok. They put a tester on the meter down stairs but he was taking ages. He came upstairs and said “the drop down test is dropping rapidly” He then turned of the boiler so there was no gas running, and then re did the test. He back came back upstairs and said ...I’ve shut ur supply off and capped the meter.” He had checked pipe work outside and is ok. You have a severe gas leak in ur loft through the new pipe work.....

Fucking hell, the first thing I thought of ....if I’d gone to bed early and not noticed it, my parrot would of been dead by the morning. It was coming through a 6 inch square hole in kitchen ceiling where old mesh was removed to allow for new pipe work. Also I have just got arch ways on kitchen and front room, so no doors between kitchen and front room where parrot sleeps.

Plus he also forgot to put cap on old pipe that was being used. It was still running live, but turned off by the shut off tap and he had left the cap on the shelf beside it. Also, on the new pipe he had put a pipe clip on it which wasn’t even fixed to the wall.

He's totally fucked him self now....

Can any of u gas guy's believe what he has done???

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no gas fitter but I can't believe what he's done, now it's time to get some legal advise and take the prick to the cleaners, just switching a light on creates a spark, imagine it had been left like that all night your flat filling with gas, I'd be ready to give the tw@t a bloody good hiding.

id take legal advise on this if i was you

explain that he was turning up still drunk, kept putting you off, then when you eventually lost your rag and he came round, he was rude and aggressive towards you, and in your mind he left the cap off on purpose due to the fact you kept on (for over a week after you had messed yourself round nearly every day) to have the work completed

Had to stop reading that half way through as I was going blind. Need some paragraphs there :)

Hi

You have defo got to report him, cant believe he`s done such a shite job and how the f*ck did his test and say everything was ok, it coudnt have been.

Would have not wanted him to do work for me if he was drunk especially something like gas, you need to be sure youve done good job and its safe but how can you if youre pissed half the time.

You need to take legal advice get in touch with company he works for as well as gas safe etc, this guy needs to be stopped......what if you hadnt been up at that time youd had an early night or summat cant bear thinking about.

Regards

I know its not the done thing to mess with someones job but the outcome may have been a lot worse, and next time he could kill somebody.

He needs a brush up on his job and thats not going to happen if left to his own devices.

You were lucky thats all, everything was in place for a disaster.

Had to stop reading that half way through as I was going blind. Need some paragraphs there :)

i know what u mean..lol i've come accross this sort of thing before and couldn't read it..lol i see that jimmyp has altered it slighty but now when i read back through ona different day i can see the probs...anyway it like 4.00am or so in morning..lol

i'll adjust it

some of us are quite confident on working with gas, lets face it there is less pressure their than water, but we are not allowed, to them that are competant should be allowed to work on it.
I have serviced my boiler for the past 13 years
if I ring up some numpty company that is gas approved will they do it right

some of us are quite confident on working with gas, lets face it there is less pressure their than water, but we are not allowed, to them that are competant should be allowed to work on it.
I have serviced my boiler for the past 13 years
if I ring up some numpty company that is gas approved will they do it right

Erm, I think they are more likely to do a better job than you are.

You were lucky thats all, everything was in place for a disaster.

ur right messa and i know that it's you and ur fella colleagues that risk your lifes having to deal with the incompetence and sloppiness of these people

lets face it there is less pressure their than water,

will the whole house blow up and kill everyone in it by switching on a light switch if u have a leaking pipe !!!!

will the whole house blow up and kill everyone in it by switching on a light switch if u have a leaking pipe !!!!

Yes it can do Teeny. You can get internal sparking in a switch which can trigger an explosion.

Yes it can do Teeny. You can get internal sparking in a switch which can trigger an explosion.

Not like you nara, she was pointing out that although its lower pressure a fault with water doesn't have the same consequences.

Fuckin 10,000 posts has gone to your head.

Go to your room.

now.

:)

Ooh nara reading only half the thread come on get with the programme water, gas, water, gas, glass bottle glass bottle lol.:Dunce::Dunce:

Ooooops! Mea Culpa, too many Auchentoshans methinks. :drunk:
That'll teach me.

: spank :: spank :: spank :

last month new gas pips fitted in whole street....then a fitter had to come round and run copper piping from white box outside where our meters are now gonna be fitted inside, to connect to inside our properties to excisting steel pipes where they remove meter from....

arrangments had been made between us for him to come monday morning, couldn't time off so got out early, got me route down so i could get back for them. phoned him and said i'm home so anytime from now is ok. they were working on a job in same street about 100yds up road....eventually i rang them and said u haven't forgotten me have u, no they said....15 min later they are...we can't finish it all to day, as he's got a hang over from the weekend and we got a council meeting at Greenwich at 3 clock....oh ok, 'yeah rite'...lol anyway, we all like a drink and done it me self loads of times drinking all weekend, anyway they done pipe work in loft and said thay be back tomorrow to do outside pipework, but won't have time to do inside as he's going to football match, tottenham.....ok....normally by now i would of said a few stern words to them, but no, i was being tolerant with them which is very unusal for me.. lol they said they'll be back tomorrow...oh and in the mean time everyday since monday they have stored their ladders in our block in foyer downstairs, they done outside and only had one more visit to remove meter downstairs and reconnected old to new pipework....wednesday about 12.30 i phoned and said i'd be home 20 min anythime after that is fine, ok he said...barring in mind it took me all last weekend to clear me loft, remove screws from loft flooringfor them to gain access to run pipes through...i'd done everything ready for them so they wouldn't have to do nothing but do their pipes...eventually turned up about 3.30 on wednesday, propped their ladders up and said ain't got time to day, had a call out someone got no gas...oh great but ur gonna want to store ur ladders here though...(joking around like) oh ok...can't come onthursday to busy so wil come friday. that day came, also that morning aswell as doing me route i had to take bird to vets, which is like 25 miles away...so rudhed and back and phoned him and said i'll be about 20 minutes, this was about 12.30pm. oh sorry can't do today had a call out. well that was ir, i was all out of tolerance now. well i f u can't do today, u best get someone else down that can...i asked for his office number he said he didn't no it..lol convo went on so i said ok fair enough and put phone down. got home he was gone from the flat he was working on when i picked me parrot up and he ladders were also now parked back inside our block...(i'm raving now) i phoned him up and asked why when he taken ladders this morning from block and put them back there to store for the weekend, u'll have to move them can't have them there all weekend. well i don't know where i'm gonna put them then, i'll just have to throw them out on the road side then....do what u like with mate, thay ain't my ladders and ain't my problem...fecking cheek, anyway he said he'd be coming back later to do me work and rattling on about other jobs he still got to do...feck me when he arrived he was totally pissed off and reved up and didn't mind letting me know he was either. he does the job and about to leave when i said arn't u gonna test it first, he said he's already done a drop down test on the meter....oh ok....that was about 4.00pm friday.....around 1.30 in morning (sat) me and parrot in kitchen and i was sure i could dmell gas now and again...so being as it during night i thought i'd just turn the emergency/shut off handle off and sort it tomorrow, oh where the feck is it then......the old one was in kitchen cupboard but don't know where this one is. so phoned gas board emergency and explained had works done wasn't sure if i could smell gas or not but couldn't find turn off point. they said it's by the meter, oh well i can't access that cos he ain't left me a key to get into box, hadn't even realised that, i would of been fecked when i needed to put gas on card....anyway they came out with in hour...probed the kitchen pipes all ok, put tester on meter down stairs but was taking ages, he came up and said the drop down test is dropping rapidly, the gauge is dropping really fast, he turned of me boiler so nothing running re did test and came upstairs and said ...i've shut ur supply off and capped the meter. checked pipe work outside and is ok, u have a severe gas leak in ur loft though new pipe work..... fucking hell, the first thing i thought of ....if i'd gone to bed early and not noticed it, my parrot would of been dead by the morning.....it was coming through a 6 inch square hole in kitchen ceiling where old mesh was removed to allow for new pipe work. also just got arch ways on kitchen and frontroom, no doors between kitchen and front room where parrot sleeps.
plus also forgot to put cap on old pipe that was being used. it was still running live but turned off by the tap beside it but put cap on shelf and didn't put it on pipe....also on new pipe on back wall he has put a pipe clip on pipe but it's not even screwed to wall.
well...

he's totally fucked him self now....

cam any of u gas guy's believe what he has done ???

Erm, yes, well, why don't you erm...

Sorry, there is no fucking way I am reading that until you have an editor proof read it.

Or perhaps you are a beat poet?

Erm, yes, well, why don't you erm...

Sorry, there is no fucking way I am reading that until you have an editor proof read it.

Or perhaps you are a beat poet?

errr i would edit it if i could, but the edit button has gone...lol i'm gonna paragragh it re post it and then ask a mod to paste it over the first one as i can't access that one no more...for some strange reason

Erm, I think they are more likely to do a better job than you are.

why?

the corgi or gas safe or whatever they are now, engineer came to service my boiler a few weeks ago.

slid out the gas burner bit, swept everything with a small brush, hoovered it all, put it back together, put his pressure thingy onto the gas meter, then checked it all worked

as far as i see it, any competent person could do this

why?

the corgi or gas safe or whatever they are now, engineer came to service my boiler a few weeks ago.

slid out the gas burner bit, swept everything with a small brush, hoovered it all, put it back together, put his pressure thingy onto the gas meter, then checked it all worked

as far as i see it, any competent person could do this

Thats probably true m8 but even by removing the cover from the boiler your breaking the law i believe if your not qualified and registered.

Back