Game Rig opions needed

prag

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all I would just like to get some opions on a building a good gaming rig. I have a great case and would like some ideas on what to put in it i.e

Motherboards

CPU

Ram

Graphics card etc

Solid Stated drive or normal hard drive etc etc

Any ideas or opions would be appreciated thanks.

what is your budget m8 theres quite a few on here that should help with this for you m8

thanks doobs budget will be 500 quid mate thanks dont know where to start to be honest been on dabs and other places looking at the mboards and the like also best prices for CPU etc, I got a well nice case for it haven't built one in a long while either so was looking forward to doing it.

SSDs are great for gaming, but if you have a huge amount of games installed at anyone time you'll quickly run out of space on even a 120/128GB model. As such I'd suggest putting your OS on the SSD, and perhaps look in to symbolic links if you have the capacity left.

I want to suggest the Intel i5 3570K, Asus Z77 mobo, 4GB Corsair CL8 DDR3 1600 and a £200 mid-range graphics card, but that leaves nothing left for storage or PSU. You could free up £80 by dropping the i5 to the i3 2100 or going for a graphics card such as the nvidia 650 Ti, but I wouldn't want to suggest doing both. If you could stretch to £700(!) or reuse parts from your existing rig, beyond the case, that would get you a better spec.

The sweet spot for pc gaming on the CPU side of things is still the i5 2500k so I would just shop around for a mobo ram bundle with That processor and at least 8g of ram then spend what you have left on a gfx card , ssd is nice for loading games quick but a waste of cash at your budget lvl. I would rather have a good 80% gold psu then a faster hd . At work at the min so can't go looking for bargains to link

although the 3570K seems to be the norm, hows about a different approach, an AMD FX6300 (£100), AMD7870 (£180), Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (£100) leaves £120 for the other bits. The FX6300 seems to be a decent little CPU, especially when overclocked properly, 5Ghz not unheard of!!!

I can recommend the 7870 also it plays my bf3 all day long at ultra on an i5 2500k with 60fps min , the amd can preform well but they are quite power hungry so some of your saving will end up going back into your psu

thanks for the input guys it seems that a few of the pc guru sites are also rating the i5 so I think Im gonna go that route Ive also had my budget increase by 200 quid as I just sold my Ps3 so Ive got 700 now hehe. So far then as far as the hardware goes

CPU = i5 2500k this one seems overclockable too now for the motherboard Asus seems to be a good choice anyone got any opions on them as Abit seem to have died off a bit

It dose not matter to much about what board you get tbh mate as long as it has all the features you need and comes from a reputable company . Asus are making some of the best of the top end boards still , but gigabyte are still doing the budget ones that preform excellently for their price mark ,

Think about things like how much ram your putting in and then make sure your board will have space left over to support more ,

Will your case support USB 3.? If so then your board should also

Z77 chipset if you plan to expand/upgrade on it Otherwise a z68 with all the features you want will be fine imo

Just be aware on the differences on the i5 2500K vs the i5 3570K; the 2500K is older, discontinued and runs hotter. However, it does bench quicker at stock and overclocks "better" than the 3570K. As bn3 hints at, Sandybridge CPUs will work in Ivybridge mobos and vice versa. But be aware that you won't be able to use some of the Ivybridge "extras" when doing so.

For what it's worth, both the Z68 (Sandybridge) and Z77 (Ivybridge) chipsets have a technology called Smart Response. This allows you to use a low capacity SSD (<32GB) as a cache drive for a mechanical HDD, and effectively gives you a hybrid hard drive.

There is no advantage to going for more than 4GB on a purely gaming rig. Most games are still 32bit and often hard coded to use no more than 2GB RAM. However, if you expect to be playing with photoshop or reencoding video too then an extra few GB will help. A 4GB kit (i.e. paired 2GB sticks) in a motherboard that takes 4 DIMMS will allow future expandability without the need to replace.

If you know the games you'll be most likely playing compare the benchmarks of the AMD HD 7870 and nvidia 660 Ti for those games. But at that price there is no "wrong" choice.

Thanks for picking up my slack on the explanation side of things mate , I'm on my quick turn around shift , nights last night now back for my 2-10 so no time to go into detail :)

Just be aware on the differences on the i5 2500K vs the i5 3570K; the 2500K is older, discontinued and runs hotter. However, it does bench quicker at stock and overclocks "better" than the 3570K. As bn3 hints at, Sandybridge CPUs will work in Ivybridge mobos and vice versa. But be aware that you won't be able to use some of the Ivybridge "extras" when doing so.

For what it's worth, both the Z68 (Sandybridge) and Z77 (Ivybridge) chipsets have a technology called Smart Response. This allows you to use a low capacity SSD (<32GB) as a cache drive for a mechanical HDD, and effectively gives you a hybrid hard drive.

There is no advantage to going for more than 4GB on a purely gaming rig. Most games are still 32bit and often hard coded to use no more than 2GB RAM. However, if you expect to be playing with photoshop or reencoding video too then an extra few GB will help. A 4GB kit (i.e. paired 2GB sticks) in a motherboard that takes 4 DIMMS will allow future expandability without the need to replace.

If you know the games you'll be most likely playing compare the benchmarks of the AMD HD 7870 and nvidia 660 Ti for those games. But at that price there is no "wrong" choice.

That is very interesting pob about the ssd with the normal hard drive, Im going for 16gb ram I think as I will be running some heavy duty graphics work aswell as gaming and this should do the trick Im going to price up the gigabyte boards as they do seem to be quite cost effective. As for graphics cards im a bit more inclined toward the AMD, just a thought though would there be any increase in performance if you used an AMD CPU with an AMD graphics card??

Nope the only real diff is that you get phisX with nvidia cards (sort of software based enhancements for games that support it ) . Amd ati cards compensate with more raster shaders to compensate , so effectively you get more "real power" from an ati on comparable cards

Looks nice enough mate i still say that the i5 2500 is better then this CPU for a gaming pc but the extra stuff the i7 gives you will compensate for its downfalls no doubt and give you an all round better performance on other things you wish to do , just make sure you have the cash spare now for a good card drives psu and case

Back