FS: Samsung 830 256Gb SSD drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmATeaf

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of these for sale and am looking for £125 each.

These are brand new sealed in anti-stat bags, they are Dell OEM drives. I purchased 3 laptops for my kids which had problems, I returned the laptops for this problem but they were returned but the fault was still there. The drives then had to be sent back but as I couldn't wait I went ahead and purchased 3 new SSD drives, in the meantime a BIOS update came out which fixed the problem. I then insisted that I wanted brand new drives for all the hassle and would now like to get some money back.

As they are OEM, any warranty claims would need to go through me, so send the drive back to me, I'll do whatever and send you back the replacement. May sound like hassle but you'd need to post the drive to somebody so it might as well be me. I have approx 19 months of warranty left on the laptops but in all honesty SSD drives don't tend to develop faults like normal drives, do they?

I've used 1 of these in my main PC and it makes a hell of difference to bootup. shutdown and general usage, as they say once you've gone SSD you'll never go back :)

P1000643_zpse662a163.jpg

Hi mate, you can get them for £113.00 with a 3 year warranty now. Sorry bud, you know what technology is like, as soon as you buy something you shave money off them.

Hi mate, you can get them for £113.00 with a 3 year warranty now. Sorry bud, you know what technology is like, as soon as you buy something you shave money off them.

From where can you provide a link? I checked and the cheapest I found was around 150. The 840 can be found cheaper but I think I'm right in saying that the 830 is accepted as being better and faster.

I've just checked on google and the cheapest I found was 144 from a company called Ballicom who I've never heard of.

mate honest, I wouldn't say that without a reason, I appreciate that they are Samsung's, just i picked a 256 gig "sandisk" up for £113.00 yesterday and with postage.

The 840 is the replacement for the 830, which can be picked up new from Amazon for £129 delivered. That said the 830 has a faster write capability than the 840, but most people wouldn't notice this.

You also need to look at the IOPS as this is much more important. The 840 also has a different NAND.

Up to 520MB/s Sequential Read Speed
Up to 400MB/s Sequential Write Speed
80K IOPS Random Read Speed
36K IOPS Random Write Speed

Up to 540MB/s Sequential Read Speed
Up to 250MB/s Sequential Write Speed
96K IOPS Random Read Speed
62K IOPS Random Write Speed

The reason you won't be able to find that many prices on the 830 is because the only stock left is likely to be from retailers as it's no longer manufactured or is OEM from larger corporate businesses because they have massive stock.

In defence of the Samsung against the Sandisk, there are discernible differences hence the price variation between manufacturers. I.e. I bought a 120GB Vertex 4 @ £85, but I could have bought the same capacity drive in another model for £68.

Last edited:
LOL, so this is like me advertising a BMW and people coming back saying that they can get a Ford cheaper.

I'm selling a Samsung 830 256Gb SSD drive and nothing else.

You can't just pull up prices for other makes and models and use them as a comparison, TBH I expected more from an Admin of this site to start spoiling the thread which is what you've done. I also already posted to say that the 840 can be had cheaper but again I'm not selling an 840.

If the Sandisk is such a great price and that's the make and model that people want then as far as I'm concerned you're free to go and buy it, maybe you should have posted that in the bargain section?

can i ask a question, hope you dont mind but what is

IOPS whats that stand for and will these be compatable with any laptop, i all ready have a 120gb v4 crucial, but if this is going to be a lot faster i could be pushed to get one :)

He's right you are all comparing a different make

LOL, so this is like me advertising a BMW and people coming back saying that they can get a Ford cheaper.

I'm selling a Samsung 830 256Gb SSD drive and nothing else.

You can't just pull up prices for other makes and models and use them as a comparison, TBH I expected more from an Admin of this site to start spoiling the thread which is what you've done. I also already posted to say that the 840 can be had cheaper but again I'm not selling an 840.

If the Sandisk is such a great price and that's the make and model that people want then as far as I'm concerned you're free to go and buy it, maybe you should have posted that in the bargain section?

can i ask a question, hope you dont mind but what is

IOPS whats that stand for and will these be compatable with any laptop, i all ready have a 120gb v4 crucial, but if this is going to be a lot faster i could be pushed to get one :)

Napster, it stands for Input/Ouput Operations Per Second, more info here IOPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless you really need the extra storage space then I personally wouldn't bother as I very much doubt you'll notice any real world differences.

1 has now sold elsewhere, so 1 left @ £120 inc.

@Napster, actually I take back what I said before, there is quite a bit of difference between them which you can see here AnandTech - Bench - SSD how that equates to real world performance? I'll be honest I can't say.

Like I said the 830 is MLC and the 840 TLC, they are essentially different drives because the 840 has an updated NAND.

Whilst I can see Mowax's point in comparing two SSD prices, because for most people they see a 6Gbps SSD not the inner workings, but it is all down to preference. I will go back to my point over the vertex 4 against other manufacturers models, so as I stated the Sandisk drive is inherently different and realistically can't be used as a comparison (sorry mowax). In real actual terms would it make a huge difference I doubt it, but to support the discussion I moved from an Agilty 4 to a Vertex 4, windows still booted the same as did loading Apps.

Your correct in that your selling an 830, however the point i think which is being made regardless of other manufacturers is that you can purchase the newer, faster, updated model for £4.99 more than you were selling a second user model (I understand it's still sealed etc, but it is at the end of the day placing a reliance on yourself so in effect voiding the warranty as they are non-transferable)

To be fair, the 830 was out around July 2012, the 840 was Dec 2012, so there isn't but it was quite quickly superseded.

Just stating an opinion here so don't shoot me as I have no vested interest either way.

Last edited:
i will have a think about it m8 not sure what to do at moment.

I'm not too sure what point or points are being made but here goes.

So which model can you buy for £4.99 more that is "newer, faster, updated model" ? If it's the 840 you're referring to then the cheapest I can find the 840 is £140.

In terms of the Sandisk, I think the performance figures below speak for themselves, so the Sandisk pulse can't really be compared to the 830, the IOPS figures for it are more akin to a USB pen drive but if people want to fool themselves into thinking that it's the "same" as other SSD drives then that's their problem but they shouldn't post that as gospel as others who are less informed may well believe them:

Sandisk Pulse 256Gb:
Sequential Read (up to): 490MB/s
Sequential Write (up to): 350MB/s
Random Read (up to): 7300 IOPS
Random Write (up to): 2200 IOPS

Samsung 830 256Gb:
Sequential Read: Up to 520 MB/s
Sequential Write: Up to 400 MB/s
Random Read: Up to 80000 IOPS
Random Write: Up to 36000 IOPS

The cheapest I can find the Vertex 4 is £156.

As far as the warranty is concerned, I've been pretty straight right from the word go in terms of how it will work. I never mentioned transferring or the warranty being non-transferable, the warranty I have is with the laptop, the drives are OEM and therefore form part of that warranty. I'm a long term and active member here and the only way I won't honour what I've said is if I should drop dead in the next year and a half.

I appreciate that I like others like a good bargain but the going price for 830 drives is the going price and no amount of ill-formed comparison or debate is going to fool me into selling the drives at a bargain price.

mate sorry this thread turned awkward, and I didn't mean it to turn into a "face off" and the like. Apologies.

If you were out to buy something, I'd have done the same, just trying to keep a look out. (and your correct that I should not have compared them with drives of less speeds/data etc.)

Any way, I'm sorry about this, you should be left alone to sell your drives with out any interference. :)

They are "brilliant" pieces of kit, and I'm not just saying that to be a brown nose, that's coming from someone that's used SSD's for ages and ages.

Good luck with your sale mate and sorry once again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009LI7C9Y/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

£129.99 (£4.99 more) Samsung 840 (that's also without me looking properly and was the first hit earlier)

Not sure why you are referencing the vertex, I was using that to a) as a means to support the difference between the samsung and sandisk i.e. agreeing with what you said and b) I think we had already cited the fact there was no comparison between the sandisk and 830 but noted that when I upgraded in a similar way from an agilty 4 (likend to Sandisk) to a vertext 4 (likened to samsung 830) It didn't make a (noticeable) bit of difference to my actual PC performance, despite the figures on paper.

So the point STILL stands, you can buy the newer 840 for a fiver more than the 830 your selling now.

To make my point further, if you were selling it to me, knowing the technology, knowing SSD's, working in IT, i wouldn't pay £125 (even if it was on ebay) when I can buy the next model for another fiver, new from a retailer.

Thanks for clarifying the point on the warranty being with the laptop, that actually changes it, because the drive itself will be covered under warranty directly with Samsung, so technically you don't even need to get involved, if it does go wrong they can raise an RMA directly using the serial number in which case they will know the production date and whether it is covered.

I'm trying very hard not to rain on your parade here, but you ain't giving me much choice when I have to explain so much.

Sorry bud, just sell your drive.

Last edited:
I am also trying to explain, no harm done or intended on my part.

As you mentioned above I'd personally rather stick with the 830 MLC rather than an 840 TLC, to get MLC with the current Samsung range you'd have to move over to the 840 Pro.

I still have 1 drive left at £120 inc which I can have in the post on Monday, SD next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back