New utility to check for "fake" flash drives

alimac

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember Gibson Research? These are the folks who made SpinRite way back in the day. They have a new fake flash drive testing utility called ValiDrive.

This utility is different and worth checking out because it is insanely fast. I tested several drives, each completing the test in well under 10 seconds. It gets the speed because it doesn't test every block of the drive, it checks various spots on the drive instead.

info

GRC | ValiDrive

Got some issues with it ....not getting results like you're reporting ie..Sub 10 secs, not even close ..?

Got some issues with it ....not getting results like you're reporting ie..Sub 10 secs, not even close ..?
Just checked it on mine and checked a 32GB flash drive in around 6 to 7 seconds. Try deleting and redownloading it again.

Well ive deleted and redownloaded the utility and guess what ? working fine ...lol
But just something of note.
The Four sticks on left the(All Sandisk) validated in under 10sec, the 2 in the middle both old cheapo's Validated but both took about 2 mins and the 2 on the right both Kingston DataTravers did not validate at all even after 45 mins or so. Think i will be sticking to Sandisk from now on.

Attachments

• 20231115_212836.jpg
    20231115_212836.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3
InitDisk
A simple-to-use, highly reliable
USB memory stick formatter.

Experience has shown that USB thumb drives believed
to be dead may be brought back to life with InitDisk.

from the same group

GRC | InitDisk

Back