CD & DVD Freemake and Subtitle Audio problems

Clinkers

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi. I've been trying for a while now to rip La Femme Nikita from my DVD so I can put it on my media player.

I was using DVDDecrypter, but it wasnt great: longer films had the timestamps all messed up so I couldnt ff or reverse properly, and with La Femme Nikita it would rip, but with no subtitle.

I started using Freemake, and that fixed the timestamp issue. With La Femme Nikita, no subtitle came up. I downloaded a subtitle from the web and it embedded it, but even though I selected French language and English subtitle, I keep getting (I think) the german dubbed version.

Another film that just wont rip for me is Mulholland Drive with Freemake. It will rip, but WDTV comes up as unrecoginised audio. Other films/dvds it ripped show as unrecognised audio but still work.

Should I rip to MKV or AVI? I think I messed up the presets, all I want to do is rip them at the same settings as they are on the DVD.

Thanks in advance!

DVD's are Mpeg format, so the closest you can get in any ripper is Mpeg 2 (MPG files). But most peeps rip to AVI because it produces the smallest files whilst keeping most of the quality. If you rip to MKV files you should be able to keep multi audio and subtitles, these are not burned on subs but are selectable. Not sure if freemake does that though.

I have anyDVD installed and just use total commander to copy the files from the DVD onto my hard drive then stream to my PS3 using PS3mediaserver, that keeps all the formatting, audio and subtitles in place.

I know some media players will also play films this way, of course it keeps the full size of the DVD so space may be an issue. But I always delete films after watching them.

Back