Forward path attenuator thingy

IAmATeaf

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what exactly a forward path attenuator does? I've recently purchased an XTrend ET10000 sat/cable combo box and only have the single feed in the lounge which is connected to my cable modem/router which has a 10dB forward path attenuator connected inline at the back.

In order to feed the ET10000 I've split the cable using a virgin supplied splitter but the net result is that although the ET10000 then gets signal the overall speed of the modem/router drops unless I remove the 10dB forward path attenuator but obviously when I remove it the downstream power levels shoot up. Now I've found an old 3dB attenuator and putting it inline brings the power levels down to a reasonable level but I don't know if there's something special about a forward path attenuator as opposed to just an attenuator.

As the splitter effectively halves the signal I think a 3dB forward path attenuator is what I need as before without the splitter and with the 10dB the downstream power levels were around 1dBmv. Can I just go up to a Virginmedia person, there's a green box at the side of my house so there's always somebody there and ponce one off him/her or are these things strictly controlled.

Sorry for the long post and maybe I'm over complicating or worrying over it for no reason.

they reduce signal strength by rated amount....

you can get them on fleebay m8 :)

Thanks, no idea why I didn't think of checking ebay, must be getting old :)

If in a hurry you can also buy from your local Maplin store. Might cost a bit more but I've done that before rather than wait on delivery. Depends on the urgency of your project.

I'm pretty sure I may have one kicking about if your in Leeds or I could post you one mate.

Found one in my cellar.

68ab0ddfc46b0392d80c21dcb070b353.jpg

Last edited:
In the post mate just stick a quid in a cancer charity box to cover postage.

Happy attenuating lol

Back