WiFi WiFi driving me mad !!!

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So for the past week or so my Virgin Superhub 3.0 has been a pain in the backside and driving us lot here up the wall. Basically the WiFi keeps disconnecting then re-connecting every 20 seconds or so. If I look on my phone it keeps coming up "Connecting to Silverdale network" then off again then abit later back off. I even get lag abit on the hard wired PC but it mainly kept working.
The WiFi problems seem to mainly start after early evening so I played around with the router WiFi channel settings moving them around 1-6-11 and checking with with a WiFi App on my phone but it's still the same. I've also opted out the WiFi hotspot in my Virgin profile but it's still the same.

A couple of things confused me the other day, when I connected to my router via my PC yesterday 192.168.0.1 my Virgin router home login page changed logo from a Virgin symbol to a picture of some woman in her lving room with the kids looking at the router as the side of the TV then by magic it reverted back to the old Virgin logo later that night.
Another thing that I couldn't figure out was homeplugs. I run 3 homeplugs and last night non of them would work no matter how much I tried resetting them they wouldn't find each other then when they did they kept disconnecting like the WiFi but the main hard wired PC kept working fine which wrecked my head.

I decided to look at who's using what on the WiFi channels in my area. Someone has a printer that's open but what's more confusing is, my MAC address.
When I looked at iSSIDer I picked up my WiFi i.e lets say. "Silverdales Network" and the MAC address of my router as lets say 00:54:ea:67:ve:vb
but
there's another network called "Virgin Media" with the same MAC bar the first two digits/letters say like
78:54:ea:67:ve:vb
This "Virgin Media" signal showing on inSSIDer keeps dropping out then connecting back in were as "Silverdale Network" in inSSIDer doesn't it remains stable. I'm not sure what this is. Is this the 5g part of my WiFi signal ? and whats it doing with the near same MAC addy as my router ?.

If anyone can explain the MAC address's and tips that would be great. I looked at my SNR downstream and its about 34.9 to 35.7

As I typed my hard wired PC disconnected then reconnected

Last edited:
I've got a old but decent belkin router somewhere , I'm gonna have to give that a go. I also run a konig yellow brick as I've that much travelling upstairs.I've taken that off for now see how it all goes. It's like juggling , how to you get a decent signal upstairs when you've a few feeds going up there ?
my levels at the moment after it's been through a 3 way splitter are downstream power dBmV 0.7 - 4.5 and SNR 37.6 - 38.9 if I add the Konig I can send the dBmV through the roof but this makes the SNR drop down into the upper 20 lower 30's so I can't find a happy medium , any tips ?

Last edited:
it wont be a signal problem its just what the wifi the superhub will be dropping
as said get a good router and modem mode the superhub

I've got a old but decent belkin router somewhere , I'm gonna have to give that a go. I also run a konig yellow brick as I've that much travelling upstairs.I've taken that off for now see how it all goes. It's like juggling , how to you get a decent signal upstairs when you've a few feeds going up there ?
my levels at the moment after it's been through a 3 way splitter are downstream power dBmV 0.7 - 4.5 and SNR 37.6 - 38.9 if I add the Konig I can send the dBmV through the roof but this makes the SNR drop down into the upper 20 lower 30's so I can't find a happy medium , any tips ?

Yeah HDU-400 powered splitter mate its the same as virgin would install in situations like yours. When your wifi goes how do hard wired devices cope if there going off too it could be the konig

Last edited:
The hard wired pc played up as well. I've taken it off for now. I only added it because we were getting some pixelation a few months back.
I've moved the WiFi over to ch11 as there's only us and one more on it and touch wood it seems like it's done the trick.
I might invest in a powered splitter for upstairs because tbh those old yellow konig bricks are a bit sh*t

You have to get both slope and gain correct on them mate can be tricky the hdu 400 is a bit smarter you wont loose signal spitting with them and they are capable of a 4-5db gain if it's needed.

Back