For ppl who signed upto Sky Half Price deal last year on DW

cg010169

DW Regular
Reaction score
thought i'd give people a heads up, If you signed up to Sky via the half price deal that was on the site last year then your current contract is coming to the end.

So it's at the point where if you decide to cancel Sky, you have given them 31 days notice as is stated in the T&C's.
Otherwise come December your bill will shoot up to the normal price, as if you don't inform them, they assume you are staying with sky for another year.

My install was on the 6th of dec last year, so if im gonna cancel Sky would have to tell them before the 6th of nov.

Im planning on staying with Sky, gonna be dropping the Movies as just seems to be repeats, lost count at the times "race to witch mountain" has been on, plus can download stuff off the web.

Im hopping to maybe try and see if i can get any offers, but can't see that happening tbh.
word of warning tho, alot say they are going to cancel, hopping to get a good offer from Sky and 95% of the time from reading on other forums they say, "were sorry to hear that and will cancel the contract"

Good shout mate. I was lucky enough to get on it & have been looking at options but forgot about the 30 days notice, might pay a full sub for 1 month to keep it over Christmas though?
Probably gonna drop Movies & Sports if I stay with Sky but hopefully VM will have a deal on, I wouldn't mind changing every year if it saved a few bob.
Appreciate the heads-up,
HH.

I managed to get on a good deal the year before, cancelled under my name last year. And then subsequently signed up under the wifes name for last year.
You may be able to cancel sky and then get another household member sign up for a new contract.

Not sure how we are going to do it this year, i don't watch the sports or movies but am not prepared to pay an extra tenner for HD, IMO HD is worth squat.

I got sky for half price for the next 12 months with HD and the movies and sports.My 12 months subscription starts on the 29.10.10 until 29.10.11.Which i am happy with that i would not pay the full price because it`s really not worth the money anyway as it`s full of repeats and the will cancel at the end of the 12 months half price.

I phoned them up just before the 3d channel launch as i didnt take the sports package with the half price deal , she said i would lose my discount so to phone back in November to sort a deal out , she asked why i would leave and i said because i pay virgin enough for my BB and phone i will not pay sky £58 at the same time , she assured me they will give some kind of deal to keep your custom , lets see lol

I signed up on 16 Feb 2009 so will give my notice jusft after new years, doubt I will be renewing any services, going to cancel the whole lot then wait for another half price deal.

I doubt they could offer me any package to stay unless it was the whole lot for another 12months at half price.

my deal comes to an end, at the end of december....

im going to play sky and virgin to get the best deal.

same as others not too interested about movies cause ive already watched them before they are on sky anyway....

Whats the most basic pack you can keep so you can still have sky+ and anytime?

Whats the most basic pack you can keep so you can still have sky+ and anytime?

From what i've been looking at it's £19.50 for the basic package, as thats just for the Variety Pack. So still beable to use sky+ and any programs that Variety Pack covers on the anytime.
Wish they would drop the HD charge as that would make life alot easier.

As for me will be £42 for the Variety Pack and sport, then have HD £10 on top of that so comes to £52 a month. Their gonna have to come down on the price when i ring them, as i'd be happy at £42.

Been compairing with VM on the prices.
I could get the same channels as Sky for £36 a month on VM, plus HD charge of £7 so thats £43 a month.

So think im gonna have to play a cat and mouse game with Sky, as Im already with VM when it comes to telephone and boardband so easy to switch back. Tbh i wanna stay with Sky, as the range of HD channels if alot better than VM at this moment in time. Just gonna have to hope i can twist their arm on the price i wanna pay, when i ring.

thanks for that , was gonna ask the exact question today......i had mine installed on the 28th december 09, so i asume i phone to cancel around the 28th november......will be sorry to see it go........

just rang Sky

Tried to do a deal, the guys didn't really wanna play ball.
told that it's best to ring up nearer the end of the current contract, so that'd be start of dec, but after that I'd be on a monthly contract so wouldn't be tied to any movie/sport package so can pick and choice what i take off.
Did say to him, not really interested in the movies as it's just full of repeats and VM currently offer a good deal which was tempting me.
Said if they dropped the HD charge i'd sign up for 12 months, then he talked about you'd be on a rolling contract so can't really do any deal as i've been on half price for 12 months and unlikey to get a another half price deal.

So i've rang VM talked about the XL pack with sports HD box would be £41 for the first 6 months then £52

Which saying im already a VM customer isn't a fab deal as i have phone and boardband so would become £80 a month

What both VM and SKy said was ring up closer to the end of the contact and just see what we say via deals etc. I seem to think it's all depends who you talk with when it comes to the offers.

the Woman at VM did say they will be doing some kind of deal come Dec, so might be wise to look at for it

Rang Sky again,

tele 08000512597 (free phone number)

Went to the "thinking about leaving option"

Said about the prices and how i was offered a better deal via VM which worked out at £37 a month for all the channels, sport, HD fee included but without the movies. If i stayed with sky would be £52 a month for the same deal.

So said im looking for the best alround option, I do think sky is amazing when it comes to what they show in HD, sport etc. But I didn't really watch the films, as tends to be repeats and if i want to watch the latest stuff i can buy off Boxoffice. ok, A little white lie as i'll download stuff from the web lol

But just said with how things are money wise, bills seem to be going up and my wages are staying the same. im gonna be looking for what i can afford. It's not like im lying about that. Said i could use the money i saved towards my house or car insurance.
he did say that as im in the last month, that it's better to ring up at the start of the next month (Dec), as might get some kind of a deal.
But i said, if i wait till next month where it'll be a rolling contract, i'll pay the full price of £52 and i wanna see if you can offer somethink on the scale of VM. Otherwise i will be closing my account as they have the deal i want.

So he came back with an offer of £38 for the first 6 months then would be £41 for the other 6 months.

Tbh i wasn't really expecting for them to come to offer on the terms i want, So i took the offer up so over the course of a year

what i would of paid with sky for a year £624
Now i'll pay £470 for a year. Which is a saving of £154 *+ 40 when football season ends. so including when i cancel sports for 2 months knocks it upto just under £200 saving

As im in the last month of my deal, to take up this new offer, the old one had to be cancelled, so that took a bit of time about 5 minutes. so just talked about 3D, films bit of footie.
I brought up how i also would like to have the option to cancel the sport when the football season ends, to save money. Which he made a note of and was completely fine with and it wouldn't affect my current offer. So come april time, just give sky a bell, and turn off the sports till the football season starts up again. so that will save me another £40

More of a better result compaired to what i got offered yesterday. So i firmly believe it's better to talk to the cancellation team if you wanna work out a deal. As people in other departments, aren't warm to giving you offers.
But don't go into it gun ho as the person you talk with could just say, ok and decide to go ahead and cancel you.

What he did say is that usually any half price deals are done to customers after 18 months. so he gave the impression, when i come to talk about a deal next year, the option could be on the table.

I hope what i've wrote helps people in trying to get a deal that suits them with Sky.
Wish you guys luck on hitting out some deals with Sky

Sounds good mate, think you should be happy with that.
HH.

Sounds good mate, think you should be happy with that.
HH.

yeah im made up with it. To pay over £600 for tele is a joke, so glad the sky guy was willing to come to a deal. As I do like sky and the range of channels/ HD stuff is great. Plus I can continue to watch the richplant about UFO's abt the new world order on showcase, as it's not on VM. Which the wife won't be pleased about lol

Last edited:
well ive just got off the phone to them as my half price runs out on the 04.12.10

He came back with an offer of £30pm from today for the next six months :) thats for everything except sports and he said reviewable in april , basically he said i got the same half price deal but having to pay the £10 for hd lol

Was on £25 p/m deal for everything inc HD. Just rang freephone number given on this forum to cancel & negotiated another six months for just a tenner more p/month. I hate sky with a passion & the hard sell not to cancel was almost out of order, but I didnt want to cut off my nose to spite my face as £35 for the lot is still a good deal in my opinion :Clap:
Note already made in my diary for five months time to cancel without any increase :proud:

Just phoned to try to get a renewal deal. 08000512597 (free phone number) that cg010169 mentioned above no longer works, recorded message saying it's been binned. Tried 08442 414 141 & the recorded message says that due to adverse weather they have reduced numbers of staff & ain't taking any calls.
Maybe tomorrow.
HH.

Just phoned to try to get a renewal deal. 08000512597 (free phone number) that cg010169 mentioned above no longer works, recorded message saying it's been binned. Tried 08442 414 141 & the recorded message says that due to adverse weather they have reduced numbers of staff & ain't taking any calls.
Maybe tomorrow.
HH.

i rang sky today to and got the same message.. reduced numbers due to weather but i held on and after that message i got through to options, pressed the option for if your thinking of leaving then got another message saying that im in a short queue and my call will be answed within 3 mins... about 10 seconds later i got an answer. :proud:

i got another 6 monthes at the same deal but i got to ring up again at the end of the month..

6 months @ half-price sounds good, I'd jump at that. Not sure why they need you to phone back at the end of the month though? Are you tied into a contract again (longer than 30 days)?
HH.

Back