Food banks

bear in mind there are loads of working people using food banks not just those on benefits & on the increase as well just proves how bad this countrys government & those in power really care so sad

I just wonder how much of the food that enters or leaves a food bank actually goes to those who really do need it as food and not as black market sell on item. Abit like the Sally army were only 10% actually got to those who need it, the rest was swallowed in admin

"I just wonder how much of the food that enters or leaves a food bank actually goes to those who really do need it as food and not as black market sell on item. Abit like the Sally army were only 10% actually got to those who need it, the rest was swallowed in admin "

I can certainly assure you that ALL food etc goes to the people that need and use the foodbank where my wife volunteers

Its true some people do go and get a bag of food and you just know its gona be sold for a fix but thats the minority. I also know of a shop in the next village that buys all the items of anyone who wants to sell them for 10p a shot no matter what it is.. F...king disgraceful shop taking advantage but it happens and the reason they give is because no point having things that need cooking if you aint got the money to put on the leccy or gas to cook with. so they sell those things and buy stuff that they can eat cold.
Report the shop. Better still advertise on social media in the local buy and sells he is doing this. It's shocking.. I glad people like shaun still exist pity we didn't have more of them and less or certain others

"I'm out of here, because someone is going to twist the sh!t out this thread Labour Tory the banks etc and the subject makes my p*ss boil."

"fat troll in front stunk,looked like a tramp,their all smoking and it resembles Chester zoo,kids look like their from a third world country,scruffy lazy arse people,living in this house like squatters,benefit clinging scroungers,two kids sat at her side looking like Brazilian street children."

Nice that you tried to remain objective though, not biased at all :rolleyes:

Don't get biased and fact mixed up m8 ffs,, if someone smells that's not biased, and if their fat and dress like a tramp not biased, if their kids are clothed like tramps , biased ? errr no wrong chookey doing your usual trolling again nout new
Let me put you right because you weren't there, that's unless it was you in the fake adidas trackie scratching your nuts and the dogs;-

they were all smoking, £10 a pack last time I looked, I can't afford it and dont want to put the burden on the health service,
Pets all over the place place stunk of dog sh!t and p!ss then they all need feeding and looking after plus vet bills,
Kids in nasty scruffy clothes ,clothes I thrown worse away but a t shirt in primark is 50p,
Non were working parents nor teenage kids,
big f*ck off TV
with decent phones and and PS3 plus xbox oh Sky as well (not dm500s)
And I'm objective ? lol

It was you ! get a job ya minga :)

As famously once said by Roy Walker
SAY WHAT YOU SEE ! (and smell)

over to you , troll on

Not trolling, just "saying what I see" :)
You've got a problem, you assign adjectives to people you don't know the slightest thing about. How did you know it was a fake Adidas tracksuit?? Kids clothes weren't just scruffy, they were nasty as well? In what way were they nasty?
I'm just trying to show that you don't come across as a caring objective person who would give anyone the benefit of the doubt. I doubt a lot of what you have posted above because of this reason.

There is a nastiness in you when you discuss this subject which even includes innocent children. You obviously object to my replies but I don't care, I expect I'm not the only one who finds your attitude towards the less fortunate a little OTT.

One thing not mentioned on here is nurses using food banks. A nurse on basic salary must be on 20+k a year & a single person on benefits can be on as little as £3456 a year (they would probably get housing benefit & council tax reduction but if living in more than a 1 bedroom house / flat would have to pay bedroom tax ). Also just because you are on benefits doesn't entitle you to access food banks, in my area it's usually required to have a letter to state a need of food bank use ( a letter from dss or a doctor, which perhaps explains how nurses can use food banks ). When you're in an area where people are living in poverty, there are often bargains to be had, where people sell 4k tv's etc out of sheer desperation to get electric /gas or pay rent & if someone on benefits buys that tv for £50 . Yet to the people outside that world , all they see is someone on benefits with a better tv than the one they have at home (with 2 people working 40hrs a week).

I think a lot of people should be more concerned about multi national companies & the people not on pay who chose how much tax they pay. The government has some responsibility for allowing tax loopholes to remain. I would like tax evasion to be made a criminal offence, why should someone who cheats the government out of millions or thousands be less of a criminal than someone who claims housing benefit for 2 weeks longer than allowed because they need that extra help to get to work until their first payday.

I know I went a little off topic but food banks should be used for people in real need of them & not by people in full-time employment. Maybe open cafes & see the people actually eat the food. Bare in mind with AI & robotics advancing many more people face unemployment in the next few decades.

This is not specifically a UK problem, more a problem of the West.

According to the European Federation of Food-banks the idea started in the USA and spread to Canada. The first European food-bank opened in Paris in 1984 closely followed by Brussels and the formation of the European Federation of Food-banks in 1986.

Most European countries now have food-banks.

Richer countries, such as the UK and Germany, were later into the frame with the first food-bank appearing after 2004 and increasing following the Global Financial Crisis. Despite all the news, food-bank usage tends to be lower in the UK than the rest of Europe.

In addition, food-banks are a new thing with approximately 800 in the UK, but there are about twice that number of other food aid organisations although they don't seem to make the news.

It shouldn't be possible to abuse food-banks as you have to be referred to one by a doctor, social worker etc. but I'd guess that would be easy to circumvent. If you can hand out vouchers and oppose the current Government then I'd guess you would.

As said above, it's as much a change in working patterns as anything, automation is on the rise spurred, in part at least, by the rise in the minimum wage. Once upon a time the section of the population most affected would be mopped up by such as high volumes of unskilled jobs with the odd war thrown in for good measure. Neither are now likely.

The only way I see food-bank usage diminishing is by people skilling up and dragging themselves upmarket. That seems largely unlikely too.

Then who would do the unskilled jobs. Who serves you at the local takeaway etc. Its not the unskilled workers fault its the government and big businesses keeping down the minimum wage zero hours contracts this sort of thing. Trying looking above you for the problem not those less fortunate

The point is there are fewer unskilled jobs to do.

I fail to see how Government keeps down minimum wage but, yes, big business will do that. Mostly by automating away from it.

As for zero-hours, I've been on them continuously since 1995 and wouldn't take anything else.

They can control the minimum wage. That's not hard to understand. What do you do for a living that you love being on a zero hour contract
Of course they can, until the point comes where automation is more attractive, then unemployment rises but those who remain employed will have their minimum wages. Not sure how that helps to be honest.

As for what I do, I troubleshoot, mostly business and IT.

I do my bit - I dodge automated checkouts like the plague. I also dislike the way bank staff herd people out of queues to suffer temperamental machines. I could do without male bus drivers, automate that.

Of course they can, until the point comes where automation is more attractive, then unemployment rises but those who remain employed will have their minimum wages. Not sure how that helps to be honest.

As for what I do, I troubleshoot, mostly business and IT.

Fix our SAP system please, it's like someone started off in the wrong direction but it was too late to change.

I do my bit - I dodge automated checkouts like the plague. I also dislike the way bank staff herd people out of queues to suffer temperamental machines. I could do without male bus drivers, automate that.

Fix our SAP system please, it's like someone started off in the wrong direction but it was too late to change.

Automated checkouts are just one example, did you know you can scan every item using a 'phone app now and the checkout will read the 'phone, total up and authorise payment just by waving the 'phone at the card reader?

Throughout the western world unskilled work is increasingly out-sourced. France has arrangements with Asia to built cars they design, Dyson has assembly plants in such as Malaysia but retains design in the UK. The unskilled labour market is contracting.

Even the semi-skilled and skilled markets such as car assembly are at risk. Jaguar Land Rover invested in car production in Brazil, that was mainly a tariff issue (there's no EU FTA with Brazil). The world changes but some are not changing with it. That's a major factor in the growth of food-banks.

Government can only do so much to change that, what they do must be paid for by tax revenues. Not overly-abundant at the moment.

Sorry about your SAP system by the way. Not my area though!

Automated checkouts are just one example, did you know you can scan every item using a 'phone app now and the checkout will read the 'phone, total up and authorise payment just by waving the 'phone at the card reader?

Throughout the western world unskilled work is increasingly out-sourced. France has arrangements with Asia to built cars they design, Dyson has assembly plants in such as Malaysia but retains design in the UK. The unskilled labour market is contracting.

Even the semi-skilled and skilled markets such as car assembly are at risk. Jaguar Land Rover invested in car production in Brazil, that was mainly a tariff issue (there's no EU FTA with Brazil). The world changes but some are not changing with it. That's a major factor in the growth of food-banks.

Government can only do so much to change that, what they do must be paid for by tax revenues. Not overly-abundant at the moment.

Sorry about your SAP system by the way. Not my area though!

Company I work for moved production abroad a few years ago, a lot of the shop floor were on good money and were skilled. We've had quite a few quality issues and late deliveries since. It seemed a strange decision as we were, at the time, and are now, very profitable but we were told it was to remain competitive in the future. Total shock to most as it was the type of place where you had a job for life if you could get in!

SAP installer ~28GB, SAP client ~1GB for updates! What are they doing in there?

So your self employed. There is a difference. Most companies that do zero hours have you on call so if you refuse say a 3 hour shift in one place to work an 8 hour shift in another they punish you. Then your stuck and need help ie food banks.

Back