Food banks

It's often cheaper to compensate for late deliveries, quality issues etc. than retain skilled staff to deliver 100%.

Case in point, I ordered a USB rewritable optical drive. It was the wrong specification and didn't work. I would have been happy to return it for testing but they just said to keep it and refunded me in full.

What do I complain about?

So your self employed. There is a difference. Most companies that do zero hours have you on call so if you refuse say a 3 hour shift in one place to work an 8 hour shift in another they punish you. Then your stuck and need help ie food banks.

Students and older workers are fine with that. Don't demonise zero-hour contracts, they don't suit everyone but many like them.

If they didn't the numbers on them would be reducing, they are not. The UK has one of the lowest rates of unemployment in Europe and the lowest its been for decades.

Those on zero-hours contracts that don't want to be have been left behind in employment terms, not sure how you fix that unless they improve their skills?

Last edited:
So your self employed. There is a difference. Most companies that do zero hours have you on call so if you refuse say a 3 hour shift in one place to work an 8 hour shift in another they punish you. Then your stuck and need help ie food banks.

A manager's son does that sort of stuff, the agency has expected 90 mile drives.

It's often cheaper to compensate for late deliveries, quality issues etc. than retain skilled staff to deliver 100%.

Case in point, I ordered a USB rewritable optical drive. It was the wrong specification and didn't work. I would have been happy to return it for testing but they just said to keep it and refunded me in full.

What do I complain about?

We need to retain brand image, if the Far East gain acceptance into our industry worldwide (we do have a branch in China but they design and produce for their own market) we are knackered.

Students and older workers are fine with that. Don't demonise zero-hour contracts, they don't suit everyone but many like them.

If they didn't the numbers on them would be reducing, they are not. The UK has one of the lowest rates of unemployment in Europe and the lowest it's been for decades.

Those on zero-hours contracts that don't want to be have been left behind in employment terms, not sure how you fix that unless they improve their skills?

I think a lot of companies don't want to "overtrain" their staff so it's left to the individual to gain qualifications etc. It can be a difficult place to pull yourself out of if your situation doesn't have the flexibility for such things.

Dysan retain brand image and are expanding in the UK by taking on graduates in design etc. Assembly is done elsewhere.

Why would you want to train staff? Recipe for business disaster that is! They get too highly qualified and they leave, unless there's more to their role.

Yes, it's difficult, I don't have an answer to that one. It's a growing problem unlikely to go away any time soon.

Getting back on topic, France has roughly the same population as the UK but four times as many food-banks.

Even Germany, the powerhouse of Europe with higher wages and higher benefits, has higher food-bank usage than we do.

Add to that, despite the obvious preference to have no food-banks at all, the UK wastes around £13b in food every year.

Perhaps food-banks can teach us something.

Getting back on topic, France has roughly the same population as the UK but four times as many food-banks.

Even Germany, the powerhouse of Europe with higher wages and higher benefits, has higher food-bank usage than we do.

Add to that, despite the obvious preference to have no food-banks at all, the UK wastes around £13b in food every year.

Perhaps food-banks can teach us something.

Skewed by "asylum seekers"?

I don't recall any war-zones on any of France or Germany's borders?

The UN convention for asylum seekers is application in the first safe country.

Back