flashing problems with dual core

rodboy/al
the last flash i tried was with xcross over cable onlyall firewalls off all antiviruses off speed half duplex
using old version of ifa (tried new version computer dand reboot.
cheers
chris

If you are really struggling, just bring it to my house (with yer lappy)...if i cant get it goin,i will just flash it with my lappy.

I reckon you may have a problem with your network card inside your lappy ?(your machine should not shutdown when sending data across)
Have you tried a normal internet conn thru this net conn ? does it work ok ?

Last edited:
I was having all sorts of problems getting IFA V2 to work with my Dual Core PC - downloaded the V3 beta and it works flawlessly :)

chris
just bought a 9pin serial for my null cable fits into a usb port tried with xover cable only not having any will try with this usb cable thanks for the offer of a fix would like to try and fix this myself.
cheers
chrisgolf

chris
just bought a 9pin serial for my null cable fits into a usb port tried with xover cable only not having any will try with this usb cable thanks for the offer of a fix would like to try and fix this myself.
cheers
chrisgolf

Is this with a laptop or desktop computer, m8? Mixed reports about USB-Serial adaptors with IFA; doesn't work for me on Thinkpad- but I got a Port Replicator docking station for it that has a 'real' COM port, and it works fine on that.

If you have a desktop with no serial port, check the mobo spec to see if it has the serial socket onboard. Might just be lacking the ribbon cable and I/F socket plate on the back... Or a PCI - Serial card might be worth adding in?

Cheers- AL

PaphosAL
the usb 9pin cable is for my laptop but my computer doesnt have a com port has a vga port instead did buy a serial card with two com ports on but has i said at the start of this thread i am having trouble flashing with the dual core computer keeps crashing and rebooting itself
cheers
chrisgolf

IFA would not work on my dell dual core laptop either - I tried all the various incarnations of it from hallenberg - nothing worked.

I was about give up when I wnet to windows security center to make sure my virus/firewall was off. To my surprise my windows firewall was on, I truned it off, and it still said my normal firewall (commodo pro) was on ,even though I had switched it off.

I could get it to turn off - in thend I uninstalled it, tried IFA (with one core off) and it worked first time.

Moral of the story is - check the windows security center to make sure the firewall is off.

In the end I insalled sygate person firewall instead of commodo - it does shut itself down when you ask it to.

IFA would not work on my dell dual core laptop either - I tried all the various incarnations of it from hallenberg - nothing worked.

I was about give up when I wnet to windows security center to make sure my virus/firewall was off. To my surprise my windows firewall was on, I truned it off, and it still said my normal firewall (commodo pro) was on ,even though I had switched it off.

I could get it to turn off - in thend I uninstalled it, tried IFA (with one core off) and it worked first time.

Moral of the story is - check the windows security center to make sure the firewall is off.

In the end I insalled sygate person firewall instead of commodo - it does shut itself down when you ask it to.
singhl
thanks for the advise will check before i try another flash.
thanks
chrisgolf

Hi,

Start prog(ifa), right click on taskbar at bottom of screen and select task manager or press control/alt/delete once to bring up task manager, click processes tab, look for ifa prog(ifa.exe??), right click on prog, select set affinity, de-tick cpu 1 - leave tick in cpu 0 and exit task manager, done!

Hope this helps

Muskrat

Cheers for that, I thought the only way was via the bios, like IFA warns you. I do have some trouble with my dual core, and turning it off does seem to help. But it is more hassle turning it off via bios than just reattempting the flash a few times. And if you forget to turn it back on your PC suffers very badly (just speedwise, really does halve the speed when doing dvd compression anyway.)

Cheers for that, I thought the only way was via the bios, like IFA warns you. I do have some trouble with my dual core, and turning it off does seem to help. But it is more hassle turning it off via bios than just reattempting the flash a few times. And if you forget to turn it back on your PC suffers very badly (just speedwise, really does halve the speed when doing dvd compression anyway.)

Hi Ruprect,

There is another way of turning off a core, set the prog (IFA) to win98 compatability mode if it will work this way, then you don't need to shut down a core each time as win98 comp mode automatically shuts down one of the cores.

Regards

Muskrat

Hi All
As anyone had problems flashing with a dual core processor used ifa(in German) crashed the computer three times anyone with any ideas
cheers
chrisgolf
AT LAST flashed andromeda on to my dbox(did it through the laptop using usb 9pin serial cable)i would just like to thank Mustrat,rodboy.chrispeters,paphosal and anyone else who sent idea on this thread.
cheers and thanx again
chrisgolf

AT LAST flashed andromeda on to my dbox(did it through the laptop using usb 9pin serial cable)i would just like to thank Mustrat,rodboy.chrispeters,paphosal and anyone else who sent idea on this thread.
cheers and thanx again
chrisgolf

Well done mate and congrats :thumbsup:

Muskrat

Well done Chris mate, your perseverance is commendable!!

Now make notes of the procedure you followed and save them on your PC for the next time.
Also, why not post your notes / flashing method as they might be usefull to others on this forum who are experiencing similar problems now and for those members who might have difficulties in the future.

Cheers

Also- it would help if you can say exactly which USB-Serial Adaptor you have, as these seem SO hit and miss with IFA!! Cheers- AL
May have spoke to soon flashed both andromeda and blade trinity both sweaking and squeking done cam change and key change going to bed exhuasted will try again tomorrow
chrisgolf

could be down to signal strength mate,,...you done the main work ,you can use flashfxp from now on to make any changes.and well done )

Hi All
As anyone had problems flashing with a dual core processor used ifa(in German) crashed the computer three times anyone with any ideas
cheers
chrisgolf
Hi All
just a quick update were'nt happy flashing box with lappy so had a word with a mate whose doing computer repairs explained about bsd and system rebooting everytime i tried to flash a box asked me had i checked the serial cards website for new drivers he says bsd is a sign of driver problems checked said site downloaded new drivers but when installed them problem page flashed up saying device not working due to problem installing new drivers did this several times.(monday purchased new serial card) removed old card replaced with new card installed drivers plugged in box flashed first time no messing with dual core.
their must be a morale some where here?

Back