Sensible Topic Fatal dog attacks and hysterical knee jerks

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Of course it's a tragedy, I wouldn't suggest otherwise, but the rubbish that some people come out with...

First of all 'staffies' are not naturally aggressive - they're bigger and stronger than your average pet though so can do more damage. Naturally aggressive dogs are headed by the likes of Dachshund, Chihuahua and Jack Russell although a nasty nip is usually their limit.

Never underestimate either the dog or the description of the dog. Police used poodles as Police dogs at one time - don't laugh, I didn't mean a Toy Poodle. A Standard Poodle is somewhat larger and well capable of bringing an Al5ation down but the image you had was different.

Some rules:

1 - a dog can NEVER be trusted 100% irrespective of breed so,
2 - never leave a dog alone with children
3 - never leave a dog alone with a stranger until the person is accepted, signs vary
4 - two or more dogs are a pack and pack instinct kicks in so,
5 - if you have a pack, 'break' the pack leader in the presence of the others or forget discipline

If you can't do this yourself choose a breed known for its placid behaviour or get professional help to do so.

Of course, none of the above applies to idiots who think keeping a pack of 'staffies' or mastiffs is macho...

Last edited by a moderator:
Being the owner of two Staffies and being the leader which was drummed into the pair from being pups, The breed are a loving and loyal stunning animal but like you say stronger than the average pet and would never ever be left alone with a stranger.
They are a very territorial breed and guard their territory at all costs. So if anyone is to climb over or enter their territory who they don't know is when it becomes an issue. I would dread anyone climbing over my fence or breaking in because of the nature of the dog.
Another name for the breed is the cradle dog because of its love for children but i would never leave my dogs in the company of children what are not my own at any cost.
Statistically cocker spaniels, dachshunds, golden retrievers, & toy breeds, particularly chihuahuas & pomeranians are most likely to bite or Akita, boxer, chow and husky depending on which stats you read .....but the press want to nail the staffs and have done with them what is not the answer.

BGcq1UGCcAAOxDH.jpgWe need to look at which end of the lead is actually to blame.

I was brought up with dogs, and never been without one except the inevitable short term, though had a few overlaps.
So, dog hairs are normal everywhere, should find one on Mars, and a door threshold has to have a dog in it.
I've got the habit of walking through doorways in goose step, when in absent mind mode, much to the amusement
of my wife, and sometimes got strange looks walking into a pub. Never noticed until friends mentioned it.
We always get dogs from the local RSPA, and aim for a german shepherd type. Had 2 of these, but in between,
the place is so heart wrenching, we just come back with something. We're suckers for the ones unlikely to be adopted
but draw the line with staffie types, which appear to be most of the inmates. I keep a casual eye on the website,
and the situation seems to be getting worse, at least locally. Current dog is a belgian shepherd, daft as anything
inside, but like a sawn off crocodile outside, not really a problem day to day, since we have a large secure garden.
We walk her outside with a muzzle, passers-by have said it seemed cruel at first, but have admitted changing opinion
on near approach. A dog with an unknown background, will always be unpredictable. Our dogs have approached others,
appeared friendly, sniffed around a bit, then sometimes gone ballistic, for no reason I can detect.

I have been brought up having dogs & as mentioned above ,dogs are different when theres more than one together. They are pack animals & revert to that if left unchecked. These animal attacks are mostly down to the owners not training the dogs correctly. In the uk german shepherds & collies (all types) are the ones that bite most people. This is not cause they are more aggressive than other breeds, its because their breed characteristics are to attack from behind( all herding dogs naturslly do this as its a controlled hunt). This means they get to bite people before they know there is a dog around.

I have a bull mastiff crossed with a rhodesian ridge back which we rescued from the local animal shelter. The first thing people say when they see him is "oh he's big" & the postman saw him & said " not a chance he would come in the garden". In reallity he is a big softy unless he thinks somethings not right( cleverest dog i have ever had) & very protective.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

We had an English bull terrier when i was growing up. It lasted for about 17 years... brilliant dog. Soft as shite! But very territorial.... only barking like mad at intruders but that was enough.

My brother has just burried His Staffordshire bull after about 15 years. Again soft as shite. All of his kids grown up with it and treated it like a toy. Never once did it turn. The only problem with it was bonfire night, because it was scared of the fireworks. Got its head stuck in an iron gate when it was terrified.

My mother in law has a Jack Russell and I can tell you that its one nasty little fecker! I'm sure the fooker needs prozac! You can't even walk past it and its at you!

We was told bull mastiff x rhodesian ridge back from animal shelter we got him from. You can see both breeds in him

Mine have been brought up in Spain with me and i brought them back to the UK a couple of years ago so November and New years eve air bombs were something new to them. One will sit and watch them in the garden and not flinch whilst the other turns into a complete shaking wreck crying his heart out and inconsolable. Its valium and full volume being the only cure. They maybe brother and sister but like they say, no two dogs are alike.

He stands taller than a mastiff. His shoulder height is about 3-4 inches less than a pub pooltables height. he is just over 50 kg in weight. When he stands on his back legs he can easily be face to face with someone 6 foot in height.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364493371450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364493371450.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
proper stunner that m8 and made himself comfy like only dogs can.

Nice dog shaun, looks similar to mine but you can see ours has mastiff in him instead

He stands taller than a mastiff. His shoulder height is about 3-4 inches less than a pub pooltables height. he is just over 50 kg in weight. When he stands on his back legs he can easily be face to face with someone 6 foot in height.

Soft shite lol

This is my really aggressive 'staffy'...

P1000922.JPG

Was a labrador pup before she arrived - took me Mum to Specsavers straightaway lol

Last edited:
Pack leader...

P1000926.JPG

...after unorthodox 'therapy' ;)

Finally...

P1010073.JPG

The gundog (failed)!

Last edited:
Back