WiFi Extend wi-fi to garage across street

HappyH

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking to get wi-fi in my garage (cheaply) during lockdown & saw this getting some heat on HUKD today. VM Superhub 3 Router is roughly 30m away from the garage but obviously signal not strong enough to reach, could plug this extender 25m away. No power in the garage.
Waste of time & money or worth a punt for £10.44 ???
Cheers in advance for any advice,
HH.

chookey

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I reckon 25m would be too far
Get an app for your phone to test wifi strength and see what the signal is like before buying the extender.

sneaker

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
It says upto 200msq on the extender info, sounds a bit/lot optimistic to me.

Last edited:

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
With it being omnidirectional I make it roughly 7m range, which doesn't seem very far.

I think it's possible with cheap equipment but you are going to need directional antennas. Pringles tube "cantenna"?

leemoo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Could youu not run a long power extension lead into the garage and then use powerline plugs? Or even run a CAT cable to the garage and setup a mini hub or router? If you where going to do this you could get some 15mm drainage pipe and run it along the garden and then fead the cable through. Obviously cost you more that the 10 quid odd but it'll work and the quality of the connection will be better.
Certainly something to think about longer term :)

topchippyles

DW Member +
Reaction score
Get an umlimited data sim from giffgaff and use that in a phone by creating a hot spot or get a travel router and put the sim in that,All of £15 if you have an old unlocked phone you can use

turner brown

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
these set up right can send wifi a good distance check google for some review and set up ideas as can be done a few ways

TEST