WiFi Extend wi-fi to garage across street

HappyH

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to get wi-fi in my garage (cheaply) during lockdown & saw this getting some heat on HUKD today. VM Superhub 3 Router is roughly 30m away from the garage but obviously signal not strong enough to reach, could plug this extender 25m away. No power in the garage.
Waste of time & money or worth a punt for £10.44 ???
Cheers in advance for any advice,
HH.

I reckon 25m would be too far
Get an app for your phone to test wifi strength and see what the signal is like before buying the extender.

It says upto 200msq on the extender info, sounds a bit/lot optimistic to me.

Last edited:
With it being omnidirectional I make it roughly 7m range, which doesn't seem very far.

I think it's possible with cheap equipment but you are going to need directional antennas. Pringles tube "cantenna"?

Could youu not run a long power extension lead into the garage and then use powerline plugs? Or even run a CAT cable to the garage and setup a mini hub or router? If you where going to do this you could get some 15mm drainage pipe and run it along the garden and then fead the cable through. Obviously cost you more that the 10 quid odd but it'll work and the quality of the connection will be better.
Certainly something to think about longer term :)

Get an umlimited data sim from giffgaff and use that in a phone by creating a hot spot or get a travel router and put the sim in that,All of £15 if you have an old unlocked phone you can use

these set up right can send wifi a good distance check google for some review and set up ideas as can be done a few ways

Cheers for the suggestions/advice chaps. Looks like it's a no-go (too expensive/not feasible), my missus will have to without 🤪 🤪 🤪
Thanks again,
HH.

Cheers for the suggestions/advice chaps. Looks like it's a no-go (too expensive/not feasible), my missus will have to without 🤪 🤪 🤪
Thanks again,
HH.
Making your missus go without just cos you can't get wifi in your garage seems a bit harsh mate 😂

Thanks again,
HH.

I still think it's possible but you need directional aerials, maybe you can get second hand or, like I suggested, the Cantenna:

How To Make a Wi-Fi Antenna Out Of a Pringles Can

Might need a few bits and pieces though. Will require a bit fiddling about but if you aren't too busy for a few months :).

Think I've sorted this. My boy was having wifi issues in his mancave (spare room upstairs) so we invested in a mesh system (Tp-Link M5's) & the bonus is our network now reaches across the street to the garage. More than I wanted to spend but hopefully issue resolved now.
Thanks again for all advice offered here.
HH.

some useless info, techincally you have a MAN now (metropolitan area network)

when you connect LAN's over a public road it becomes a MAN

Looking to get wi-fi in my garage (cheaply) during lockdown & saw this getting some heat on HUKD today. VM Superhub 3 Router is roughly 30m away from the garage but obviously signal not strong enough to reach, could plug this extender 25m away. No power in the garage.
Waste of time & money or worth a punt for £10.44 ???
Cheers in advance for any advice,
HH.
The best option for your buck is just getting directional antennas. You can always buy a product that's specifically designed for that, for example, UniFi has a wireless outdoor product that's designed specifically for that. But you can always buy a generic router, use it as a wireless extender, and just swap out the antennas on there with a directional antenna that's pointing at the garage and vice versa. You'll need a same product on the other end to receive and retransmit the data from inside the garage because the signal from your products will be too weak to reach back to the original.

Back