Ethernet Cable.

thomasjcat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've just been upgraded to 150Mbs on Virmin, yet when I do a speed test I only get 95Mbs but on Wi-Fi on my phone I get 150Mbs, I have just bought a super fast Ethernet cable but it makes no difference, am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

I was getting a similar situation on my Android boxes (wifi on one was getting full speed, but wifi on the other half speed and both ethernets half speed?? lol) Maybe it's something to do with the ethernet adaptors, hardware not up to scratch? :)

You need to check the speed of your ethernet adaptors and the throughput capacity of your switch or router.

Provided the cable is less than 100 meters and rated cat-5e or cat-6, speeds upto 1000Mbps shouldn't be a problem.

As hinted at in the two answers above; the cabled device could be have a Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) port, rather than Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbps) port.

I am suffering with the same problem! Any help will be great

I have just been upgraded to 200mbps and have no problems at all.

Most ethernet cables will support much faster than virgin supply, as stated previously you need to check the ethernet card/port on your PC, laptop or other equipment to make sure it can handle the speed.

You ethernet card/port needs to be gigabit and NOT 10/100 to make full use of the 150mbps, wifi does'nt really have this restriction any more as most wifi devices are rated higher.

Have a look at the manufacturers website to see if they list the specs or look in the instructions if you are not sure about the port speed.

Back