Electricians help

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi the old shower gave up the ghost (heater short) a Mira Sports was 10.8kva with required cabling etc. checked with mira new sports max has the same fittings and input locations all ok.

i got the shower last week and removed the old one fitted the new one and away we went no problems for a week.

This morning just as i got the old head and shoulders well lathered up the power tripped on the mcb. (aaarrrrgggggggggggg)

the mcb's are type b the plug in sort and it was only when i took it out i realised it is a 40A not a 45A ( 10.8kva / 240 = 45A ) strange thing was old shower never tripped it and was same power.

i have been to two electrical wholesalers Neweys and Sabel and both have said they dont carry stock anymore......consumer unit was only fitted 12 years ago and its obsolete....gggrrrrrr

they suggested asking around to see if any electricians have any in their kit !!! long shot but worth a punt or fitting a supplementary board at the side.

Any electrician with a 45A type b mcb give us a pm :) it will be much easier than any other alternative.

Last edited:
Hi Curly

its a Wylex

thanks a bunch

pm sent

diamond geezer

Denmans stock the Green 45a but they aren't cheap £15+,maybe have a look on ebay...Also you didn't mention if you have an RCD/RCBO fitted,always a good idea on a shower.

I doubt that MCB tripped because of the power mate.
Almost all MCB's will tolerate more power being drawn, I would think it tripped because water has somehow gotten in, with the MIRA showers sometimes if you do not screw them back up proper they will leak water in.

I would disconnect power and look for signs of water before changing the MCB.
How far is the Consumer unit from the shower, how is the cable run, any connections been made, what size is the cable ?

It could of course be the MCB - maybe its faulty too ? but I would do a few tests first ?

Regards
Mick

Last edited:
consumer unit was only fitted 12 years ago and its obsolete....gggrrrrrr .

WTF! Who was fitting these 12 years ago. Get em back and ****in shoot em!

WF stock the retrofit plugin mcb's btw

ill do a bit of checking, ill whip cover off and see if there is any water around.

cable is that real thick stuff that is awkward to bend.

consumer unit is in the kitchen and the shower is directly above, one peice of cable no joins.

consumer unit fitted before we moved in, was one of the things previous owners said they had done....but you never know it was in the days before work was supposed to be signed off.

Back