Electric V's Gas

Should i get my gas hob kettle out? :)

On average, a unit of gas costs 4p/kWh (kilowatt hour) – while electricity costs on average of16p/kWh. In that essence, electricity is four times the price of gas.2 Mar 2022
Not reflected in the quarterly bills though. Gas for my central heating with everything else being electric. Tv on from morning till night and then the bedroom tv comes into play. Sat at my pc for large episodes of the day.
Yet both my gas and electric bills are always very similar.

Had a letter a couple of days ago telling me my Winter Fuel payment will be £500 this year. I also received my £324 COL payment today. That will help cover my energy bills quite nicely. 😃

Not reflected in the quarterly bills though. Gas for my central heating with everything else being electric. Tv on from morning till night and then the bedroom tv comes into play. Sat at my pc for large episodes of the day.
Yet both my gas and electric bills are always very similar.

Had a letter a couple of days ago telling me my Winter Fuel payment will be £500 this year. I also received my £324 COL payment today. That will help cover my energy bills quite nicely. 😃
Winter Fuel payment "If you were born on or before 25 September 1956" damn you must be old o_O

Should i get my gas hob kettle out? :)

On average, a unit of gas costs 4p/kWh (kilowatt hour) – while electricity costs on average of16p/kWh. In that essence, electricity is four times the price of gas.2 Mar 2022

I seem to remember reading that someone tested this when the prices went up at beginning of October (boiling an electric kettle V a pan of hot water on the gas), gas was minutely cheaper but took lots longer, so worked out around the same price.

Was reading the other from several sources, The test revealed it cost around 1.99p to boil water using his hob, and 3.94p, almost twice as much, using an electric kettle

Winter Fuel payment "If you were born on or before 25 September 1956" damn you must be old o_O
Born Feb 1956. My first year as an oap. Of course I should have retired last year at 65 if the retirement age hadn't increased. I forgive them though. They're looking after me quite well now. 😃

I seem to remember reading that someone tested this when the prices went up at beginning of October (boiling an electric kettle V a pan of hot water on the gas), gas was minutely cheaper but took lots longer, so worked out around the same price.
("Which is more energy efficient - boiling water using an electric kettle, a kettle on a gas hob or a microwave oven? IT TAKES the same amount of energy to heat one litre of water no matter which method of heating used. The only difference in the methods is the amount of time each takes.")

Seems it takes the same amount of energy to do the trick, so as long as one is cheaper per kw/hour, then it should work out cheaper? :)

("Which is more energy efficient - boiling water using an electric kettle, a kettle on a gas hob or a microwave oven? IT TAKES the same amount of energy to heat one litre of water no matter which method of heating used. The only difference in the methods is the amount of time each takes.")

Seems it takes the same amount of energy to do the trick, so as long as one is cheaper per kw/hour, then it should work out cheaper? :)

My memory is crap but I think the article I read was also looking at which was the most environmentally friendly, I'm sure they said there was little difference in cost though (since October).

I don't have a gas hob to do a comparison test but would have liked to compare my induction hob. It's really fast to boil water and with the "pulsing" current is obviously using less juice than a heating element which is constantly on.

From what I've seen gas is really cheaper to boil water in smaller quantities but when you increase it the gap gets smaller. We all know that water boils at 100°C. It's also true that 1g of water needs 1 calorie (4,184 Joule) to raise the temperature by 1°C.

All that really means is that if you are a true tight git who cares which method is cheaper, you may want to leave your water standing until it reaches room temperature before starting the boiling process. Alternatively, you could try pissing in the kettle. Apart from saving money in reduced boiling time it could help if you're on a water meter. :rolleyes:

Money saving program last night said a cup of water in the microwave for tea / coffee was marginally cheaper than the kettle.

Re gas v electric when doing my veg I boil the kettle as takes two mins for a pan but nearer 10 on the hob.

What about those new electric taps that can produce boiling water at will surely they would be cheap to run.

What about those new electric taps that can produce boiling water at will surely they would be cheap to run.
Instant boiling water tap vs kettle — which is the best for you and your money in 2022?

Matt Knight, of Which, said:
“Once installed the tap is more energy efficient than a kettle but saving money isn’t the motivation to buy one of these.
Although there is a small saving on energy bills, it would take more than a lifetime to pay you back on the cost of installation, and that is without looking at required filter costs.”

“A kettle will use more energy over a year, but the difference is in pounds, or if you use a lot then tens of pounds, but you will never get back the cost of installation,” he added.

Are they not around 200+ quid though, and not sure of filter life time so payback period might be quite long?
I wish they were that cheap. A decent normal tap is over 100. The ones i seen were 1800.

What does a Quooker cost?

Instant boiling water tap vs kettle — which is the best for you and your money in 2022?

Matt Knight, of Which, said:
“Once installed the tap is more energy efficient than a kettle but saving money isn’t the motivation to buy one of these.
Although there is a small saving on energy bills, it would take more than a lifetime to pay you back on the cost of installation, and that is without looking at required filter costs.”

“A kettle will use more energy over a year, but the difference is in pounds, or if you use a lot then tens of pounds, but you will never get back the cost of installation,” he added.
never having to wait for the kettle to boil is the reason i an looking for them. misses boils the kettle multiple times a day and forgets to go back to make the tea.

I wish they were that cheap. A decent normal tap is over 100. The ones i seen were 1800.

What does a Quooker cost?

never having to wait for the kettle to boil is the reason i an looking for them. misses boils the kettle multiple times a day and forgets to go back to make the tea.
Give her one of these for Christmas, and I think she might not forget to make the tea again. 😉
FB321AD3-7B59-47BD-9AAE-F2BD9B292806.jpeg

I've seen a few people saying that they fill up a flask with any spare heated water
And switching over to whistling hob kettles

If you fancy one of them Quooker things I'd have a look around for other inline water heaters ;)

I've seen a few people saying that they fill up a flask with any spare heated water

If you fancy one of them Quooker things I'd have a look around for other inline water heaters ;)
I use a whistling hob kettle £35 on my induction hob. It boils me, one cup of water in just over a minute, no water left over, coz I am tight😆.
We’ve had the kettle for about five years now, and to be fair, it’s spotless inside and has no limescale. I haven’t owned an electric kettle in over 10 years.

Either the type of person who drives an extra mile to save 2p on a tin of beans or they're bullshitting.
Pointless putting anything less than a full cup of water in a flask but anyone that concerned of wasting energy would never put more water than necessary in the kettle in the first place.
Obviously, maybe they were just female.

1668199575696.gif

Back