dvd surround sound question

damage

Inactive User
Reaction score
this is going to make me sound a bit of a thicko but my m8 has just brought a samsung dvd player and he asked me how to connect it up to get surround sound i said i think you need to get a amp as this is what i use. he said that it has dts and pro logic on the front and seem's to think that if you connect the speakers to the rear then he will get surround sound out . he only has a optical output and i think 2 plugs for front left and right .so i dont see how this could be achieved apart from running a optical connection to a surround amp but i am not expert .the dvd player did not come with surround speaker's so unless the amp is built in i would say that there was no way that anything other than a decoded signal would be comeing from the optical output which would then need to be amplified by a pro logic amp not sure as to the model number but he paid £125 squid for it at index any experts wish to enlighten me please..

hi DAMAGE,my parents have a samsung surround dvd player which i set up for them which came with 5 speakers,on the back it had inputs for all speakers so if he has only left and right inputs i cant see how he's going to connect the speakers,but if it came with the speakers there must be some way it connects.....:confused:
p.s REALLY IM MORE CONFUSED THEN YOU NOW......

hi zooropa the dvd did not come with any speakers m8 thats why i am guessing that it needs to be connected to a amp i think that there are dvd players that have a amp and decoder built in but the dvd player must have both to be able to play the sounds my dvd player has front L.R REAR LR FRONT CENTRE SUB but it does not have a amp built in as far as iam aware as in the manual it just shows these are going to a imput to the to a amp but i am pritty sure that if i connected speakers to these outputs nothing in the way of sound would come out i think that only dvd players that come complete with surround speakers are the ones that have a amp built in but still only guessing ?

re:surround sound

hi damage, if it has a left and right audio output on the back of his dvd player as i have not seen the layout on the samsung he could connect it to his hi-fi if that has surround sound on it, connect his output from dvd to input on hi-fi input i.e aux or video, i have just done my mates for him and it works a treat. hope this helps m8.

hi mrjunes i have not seen the dvd yet m8 he just discribed the layout of the back over the phone but i am sure he said there was only 2 outs and a optical out but he does have surround sound on his hifi so that may be the way to go i have passed the info on m8 thx
i think the dvd players that have a decoder and amp built in are called intergrated dvd players from what i can tell

Back