DVB - PC Cards dvbviewer setup

well i started off with media portal , using tt 1500 budget and too many issues with it stuttering or totally out of sync , so moved on to dvbviewer and this is running much better only issue is the one mentioned , tried a few codecs but still the same .

Last edited:
well i started off with media portal , using tt 1500 budget and too many issues with it stuttering or totally out of sync , so moved on to dvbviewer and this is running much better only issue is the one mentioned , tried a few codecs but still the same .

What codecs you tried? have you got all of the encrypted or just a few?

It's a codec issue. Most codecs can't handle off-spec resolutions like 544 and 528, Nvidia Purevideo Decoder handles everything correctly, and unlike most of the crappy codecs that just deinterlace 50hz video, this one can turn both fields into progressive 50fps video, which makes a world of difference on a progressive display, like a PC monitor or a plasma/TFT.

Yeah it was a codec issue thanks sorted now , just trying to find bbc hd as my scan does not seem to have found it , any one help with the frequencies on 6952 birmingham

Check out the Dbox or Dreambox section for a services file for that area. It will have the frequency.

Hi guys, A small problem I cannot seem to fix, at the mo DVBViewer has the screen split, the tv picture on the left and around 1/3 of the same picture to the right. has anyone any ideas how to fix it? hope this makes sense.

Try changing the video codec. Some of them don't like non-standard resolutions, like 544 and 528, so they'll do this sort of video wrap-around to fill out the screen.

I am having similar issues as posted above.
Using MyTheatre I have not been able to find a graph setting that allows me to watch channels without glitches.
Media Portal
I have followed the guides and have sucessfully indstalled MP, MDAPI, yanksee an fenrir, these appear to be working OK. Channels have scanned OK but I cannot get a stable codec set up and the pictures stutter & hang. Some channels are OK but I just can't get one codec set up to work for all channels.

My Set Up
Hardware
Silverstone GD01 MX
Asus P5K Deluxe
E6750 Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz PC2 8500 C5
XFX Nvidia Geforce 7600GS [HDMI] Passive Cooled
2 x 200GB Samsung HDD
2 x 500GB Samsung HDD
TT C1500 (DVB-C)
Corsair HX520W PSU
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Software
Windows XP Pro SP2
MediaPortal 0.2.3.0 RC3
Yanksee
Fenrir

I have tried Nvidia Purevideo, ffdshow, cyberlink, Intervideo and many others without success

I have check using DPC Latency Checker and don't appear to have any conflicts, result less than 500, program said I should be able to view streamed content OK?

Used Radlight Filter Manager and Filmerit and to set codec merits

GSpot shows correct filter graph

I really want to get the PC working as a PVR but the TV glitches are making this impossible. Can anyone help the poor picture quality is driving me crazy!!

I am having similar issues as posted above.
Using MyTheatre I have not been able to find a graph setting that allows me to watch channels without glitches.
Have you tried lowering your signal strength, as too strong a signal can cause break-up and glitches.

Thanks!

I'm installing DVBViewer now, will I be able to check the signal strength using this program?

Yes, sort of. At the bottom of the screen, there is panel you can click on to toggle between signal strength, time and... something else, I forget. :) Anyway, I've found that a signal of 60% or less is ideal. Unfortunately, there is no way to get SNR or BER readings, which are really far more relevant than signal strength in itself, so you might have to do a little bit of tweaking, but the signal strength reading should be an adequate guide for you to at least see that you're making some changes.

Also enable View->Filters->DVB Source to check for discontinuities while viewing/testing.

I have finished installing DVBViewer and Vplug. Working OK. Still having problem with glitches. Signal strength is 60% or over on most channels, some are 65-75%. Going to buy the attenuator you mention above. Hopefully that will solve the issues!
Thanks for the advice

Edit - Not seeing many discontinuities either

Variable attenuator arrived yesterday, tried it last night but it has not solved the problem....I am having the sames issues in Media Portal (Yanksee & Fenrrir), DVBviewer (Vplug) and MyTheatre (Fenrrir & Yanksee)
this is driving me crazy, does anyine esle have any ideas??

A shame the attenuator didn't work. Did you notice the signal strength actually drop? Some people have suggested attenuators only work on cables of a certain length. I'm not enough of a science or tech geek to know if that makes any sense.

If you remove the softcams, do you still get the glitches on FTA channels?

The attenuator does seem to reduce the signal so i'm happy that it is working, but moving the signal from 65% to 55%, 45% or 30% does not seem to make any difference (until the signal just drops out)

I'll try removing the softcams this evening and see if this makes any difference......

Thanks for the continued support!

Back