DVB - PC Cards dvbviewer setup

willin

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi, could someone please guide me, I have a tt-1500c and have just bought dvbviewer, is there a guide to the setup of this software, what goes in the target root when doing a channel scan, I have s2emu and softcam in the plugins and a configuration file in the transponders, how do I select this file for scanning.
Thanks.

First of all you need to create a custom cable.ini file with the frequencies for your area, before you can scan. You can get them from a Dbox or Dreambox services files. Check the download sections for those boxes, if you don't have one of your own. Alternatively, if you're in a 6952 area, you can use BlueMotion's handy BruteForce ini.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=971982&postcount=12

See if you can get the FTA channels first. Once that's working, you can use a softcam like Vplug or Yankse/Fenrir to decrypt the other channels. Both have been posted around here recently. Vplug is probably the least hassle to set up and work with, but you will need to enter the latest codes manually.

I have a cable.ini file (sorry I was calling it a configuration file) with the frequencies for my area, I have put this in the transponders file, in the transponder list I have selected kabel (dvb-c), when I scan the frequency the current device is the tt-1500c, cable transponder is 100% then PAT is highlighted red! but when I scan range I get no channels, Ive tried to scan for just the fta channels, nothing.

It's a good idea to add a comment or a custom name to your cable.ini, just so you're absolutely sure you're selecting the right one. Does it show the right frequency range and number of frequency entries? It sounds like it's got a signal, but the frequiencies are wrong, which probably means that you've either got the wrong .ini file, or you used the wrong frequencies. Did you create the ini file yourself? If so, make sure you got the syntax exactly wrong, and that you entered the frequencies in mhz, not hz. It might be worth checking your file against bluemotions bruteforce, just to make sure you've got the right syntax and everything.

Ok señor ding dong, I am new to this so please bear with me, I should have posted this from the start of this thread but I thought It was something really simple I was doing wrong!! I have ProgDVB 4.85.3 working with s2emu and softcam, I have a cable.ini file for this and I have used it in the transponders file for dvbviewer.
In dvbviewer the progress bar is coloured when I scan cable transponders which I beleive means the feed is live, thing is the symbol rate for my area (6952) is not shown in the transponders list.
bluemotions bruteforce starts off:
[SATTYPE]
1=4000
2=UKcable6952

[DVB]
0=189

My cable.ini file
[CABTYPE]
1=01
2=Cabel (dvb-c)
3=C

; Frequency(KHz), Symbolrate(Ks/s), QAM
[DVB]
0=80
May be I need a different file.
Thanks

Ok señor ding dong, I am new to this so please bear with me, I should have posted this from the start of this thread but I thought It was something really simple I was doing wrong!! I have ProgDVB 4.85.3 working with s2emu and softcam, I have a cable.ini file for this and I have used it in the transponders file for dvbviewer.
The syntax for DVDviewer's ini files is different to ProgDVB's. Check Bluemotion's file for example syntax, create a new cable.ini and include your own symbol rates and frequencies. Make sure you change the name under "2=" to something you recognise, so you know you have the right .ini when you scan in DVBviewer.

Once you've created the .ini, put it in Transponders in the Configuration Folder, which is usually something like C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer. Don't put it in Transponders inside DVBviewer's install folder.

As for your emu, I'm not sure s2emu will work with DVBviewer without the SoftCSA wrapper, but I'm not sure, as I haven't tried it myself.

I came across a simialr issue when I first installed my DVBViewer. It was only after I realized I was putting the .ini file into the c:\program files\.... instead of c:\documents and settings\.... that I realized my mistake.. I am still learning... LOL

Ok, señor ding dong that bit of advice was very useful, I have simply moved bluemotions bruteforce to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\ Transponders and did a re-scan, 196 tv 33 radio but after moving s2emu and softcam to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\plugins no scr&mbl*d channels, so, any more advice please.

Ok, señor ding dong that bit of advice was very useful, I have simply moved bluemotions bruteforce to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\ Transponders and did a re-scan, 196 tv 33 radio but after moving s2emu and softcam to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\CMUV\DVBViewer\plugins no scr&mbl*d channels, so, any more advice please.
I actually have my emu in Plugins in the main install folder, not sure if that makes a difference, but like I said, S2emu might not work with DVBviewer without "cheating", but having not used it, I have no specific advice for you. I use Vplug myself. Works perfectly.

Now that you've got scanning working, you might want to edit out the frequencies from Bluemotion's file that aren't used in your area, as it will obviously improve the scanning speed a lot if you only scan for active channels.

Thanks señor ding dong, I went down the Vplug route, it works a treat, dont know if it will au other members seem to be having problems with that! I am still tinkering with the channel list but dvbviewer works a treat (I had crashing problems with ProgDVB 4.85.3) even on the hd channels.

i followed these instructions but realised vista 32 bit does not have the documents and settings folder, is there an alternative for vista ??

edit: ok i found the offending folder, it is called program data in vista

Last edited:
i got most of this sussed out now but i am still having problems with the card not picking up all the channels, the same card works perfect at my mates house and we even got BBC HD using power dvd 7.3 decoders.

I am also having a problem with channels glitching, i dont think this is a signal fault as the freeview channels work fine. i have recorded a sample clip just to show what i mean, it was recoreded using progdvb, i have the same problems in dvbviewer

Last edited:
i got most of this sussed out now but i am still having problems with the card not picking up all the channels, the same card works perfect at my mates house and we even got BBC HD using power dvd 7.3 decoders.
I am also having a problem with channels glitching, i dont think this is a signal fault as the freeview channels work fine. i have recorded a sample clip just to show what i mean, it was recoreded using progdvb, i have the same problems in dvbviewer
Such recording problems can be caused by two things. Signal issues (too strong or too weak) or not enough CPU power. If your FTAs are all fine, the latter sounds like a likely explanation, as softcams do use quite a bit more CPU power. MyTheatre is a bit of a CPU hog itself. Try DVBviewer, and once you've started a recording, go to View->Close Graph to minimise your CPU load. I don't know which emu you're using, but Vplug genereally uses considerably less resources than Yankse/Fenrir.

i use a pentium dual core 3.00 GHz cpu and Asus P5B-E board with 2Gb or Ram and nvidia 7600GS graphics card and i have the latest bios installed on the board.

this is not just a recording problem but this also happens when normal streaming/viewing

i use a pentium dual core 3.00 GHz cpu and Asus P5B-E board with 2Gb or Ram and nvidia 7600GS graphics card and i have the latest bios installed on the board.

this is not just a recording problem but this also happens when normal streaming/viewing
Yes, it would happen during normal viewing as well, but your specs would certainly suggest it isn't a CPU issue, then. Unless you have other apps like anti-virus or that sort of thing running, which have been known to interfere even on top spec computers. Have you tried tweaking your signal strength? In DVBviewer, if you check the DVBsource while viewing, you will be able to see whether any discontinueties in the signal occur. That way, we can help isolate the problem.

Did you get my PM, btw?

thnaks for the pm, will sort that right away, how do i check for signal strnegth in dvbviewer and how do i tweak it

It's a bit tricky, as no DVB software supposedly gives an accurate reading. Your best bet would be to try a variable attenuator or a booster, but too strong a signal seems to be the most common cause of problems. You can get an attenuator from here for £2.99.

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/coaxial_accessories.htm

You then adjust the signal strength until your image stops breaking up. Same procedure if boosting is required, though boosters are more expensive.

What are your current signal levels in DVBviewer?

something i forgot to mention is that i used to have a splitter with a built-in 6.2 dB attenuator and the dbox in the other room used to glitch a lot, i replaced this yesterday with a 5-2250 Mhz splitter with no attenuator and the signal has really improved on the Dbox, it doesnt glitch or shake anymore, and the card has also got better, this recording i posted, well this channel was unwatchable until yesterday, Vplug used to say PODscan empty please recan PID or something

Back