Dummy Guide to Vu+ Solo2

Tassie Devil

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

First post here from a "down under" retiree aged 80:Devil: who is semi computer literate but is not confident about installing plug ins etc for his Vu+ Solo2 (genuine Korean).

My usage is basic - pointing to the fixed satellite Optus C1, all set up & tuned ok but I'm not taking advantage of the many many options available for this receiver and have experienced a few frustrations. :eater:

One of these frustrations has been control of subtitles, something an oldie like me needs because of failing hearing, but that has only just been solved and appropriate macros on the HTM remote now give me that option (the subtitle button on the supplied remote did not work:Angryfire).

So can anyone point me to a publication or series of posts which set out:

1. What each of the plug ins, add ons etc actually achieve (so I know if they would be useful for me)
2. A menu, clearly, step by step, of how to install them without crashing the Solo 2.

I'm not a nubie to A/V as I've been playing around with audio for 70 years (started with a wind up cylinder Edison - still have it), can follow simple circuits, can solder, and have graduated to HT video and have all music (interested mainly in classical) on 6 TB on a Meridian server. But I'm no programmer and have shied away from anything much past desktop publishing via MS Publisher, using Power Point and setting up the 5 Home Theater Master remotes here to control the various house systems. I can easily get out of my depth.:Mad2:

TIA

John

Hello mate

There are far too many plugins thousands of them in fact to run through what they all do. It would be better to tell us what you want from your box and we can advise on the plugins that may be helpful. You could read the readme test that come with plugin on first release for some info.

Plugin are better install via telnet with programs such as putty or dcc. using telnet enable you to run command to install plugins but not only that with the right command it will install dependencies the plugins need to install and run.

You would install a plugin by transfering the file by FTP with programs like DCC or Filezilla. Transfer the file to the tmp folder at the root of your image then start a telnet session.

login via telnet and then run this command

opkg update && opkg install -force-overwrite /tmp/*.ipk

Hello mate

There are far too many plugins thousands of them in fact to run through what they all do. It would be better to tell us what you want from your box and we can advise on the plugins that may be helpful. You could read the readme test that come with plugin on first release for some info.

Plugin are better install via telnet with programs such as putty or dcc. using telnet enable you to run command to install plugins but not only that with the right command it will install dependencies the plugins need to install and run.

You would install a plugin by transfering the file by FTP with programs like DCC or Filezilla. Transfer the file to the tmp folder at the root of your image then start a telnet session.

login via telnet and then run this command

opkg update && opkg install -force-overwrite /tmp/*.ipk
Thanks for responding and apologies for the slow response. A few relatives have descended from interstate to distract us from our normal routines, forum visits etc:pimp:

I guess my requirements are not sophisticated but items that I'm sure can be improved are:

* layout of EPG
* control of subtitles (that has been a headache for months now and I have a macro on the HTM remote which finally works but the subtitle button on the supplied remote does nix)
* control of setting extra time for recordings (MENU -> SETUP -> SYSTEM -> Cutomise -> Margin after record does not work for some reason now but did earlier - I've messed up somewhere)
* more skip options than are on the customise menu
* using the home network to import files to this PC so DVDs can be burned from them

The video quality is already the best of any PVR here so I doubt that can be improved.

I'm using Black Hole 2.17.01,
Build 2015-07-13
DVB Drivers 20150623
Kernel v 3.13.5
Skin MXC6P

Back