CD & DVD downloaded film fron internet but dvd wont play on dvd player - help please

ttony

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
this is the file - Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 PAL DVDR-iGNiTiON

i made a image file out of the rar files it gave me and burnt it at a slow speed the disc works fine on my computer when played

it sais pal so i thought it would play ok on my dvd player but it wont.

is this the right file to download that will play in any dvd player , i only download 4.35 gb proper dvds as well prefure the quality.

help please

Last edited:
Is it a divx file?

Not all dvd players can play them. You can convert it to standard video using a number of programs: Nero Vision, ConvertXtoDVD among others.

its sais its a

Retail Source ...: R2 WS DVD9

and i downloaded all rar files then made a iso image

its a proper dvd 4.35 gb not a divx file

Dont they need to be vob files to play in a standalone dvd player?

no mate i have downloaded many 4.35 films and made a iso file out of it and they played fine just the last few files i have downloaded wont play on my dvd player, im just curious to find out why they suddenly wont play now

yes i did

its just it sais pal which i thought played on any dvd player .

I'm confused, you said you made an ISO from the extracted rar files, which suggests me it wasn't extracted as an ISO.

Which is it?

EDIT: Actually wait a second, what DVD did you burn this to? It's a DVD9, but you stated DVD size was 4.35, so did you shrink this?

Last edited:
o yer sorry lol

yes i downloaded the film which was all in rar files then made a iso image file from the rar files

OK, sorry If i appear to be speaking in baby talk, but:

1) You downloaded all the rars.
2) You then created an ISO from the un-extracted rars.
3) You burnt this to a DVD5 (4.35GB)

or

1) You downloaded all the rars
2) You extracted the rars
3) You burnt it to a DVD5 @ 4.35GB

Couple of things here, so forgive me but, if you have simply created an ISO from the rars then it's obviously not going to work, secondly if you didn't the extracted ISO is a DVD9 not DVD5 therefore is bigger than disc you have burnt it to.

the first one mate it came out at 4.34 gb so fitted on a dvd ok

and yes if you make a iso image then burn that image to a dvd it will work i have done it hundreds of times and they work fine, in this case thoe i just wonderd why this one wouldnt work as it sais its a pal region and pal is for england .

What are you using to create and then write the ISO.

Little bit bemused by this if I'm honest as that release is DVD9, but I'm equally bemused as to how you've been turning straight unextracted rar files into an ISO then play it in your DVD player, when they are clearly not made to do that.

ok

downloaded rar files then use winrar to make iso file then burn iso image with nero .

So you've done "convert archives" from the menu?

Last edited:
i just double click a rar file where all of them are then winrar starts up which brings up a image file [which i think i set it up to do , cant remember as it was a while ago] then i double click the image and it unrars all the rar files in that folder and makes a image file .

ok, thats fine, but it's not what you said before :)

All your doing is essentially extracting the rar files, and then using the temporary file to burn the disc.

Try actually extracting the ISO/image to another location on your drive and then burn that as a separate exercise. If that doesn't work then the image is either corrupt or invalid as a DVD-R, and I'm afraid you will have to download it again (plenty of copies around that are not by that group)

The other way to do it is edit the ISO in UltraISO (after it has been extracted from the rar), extract the vobs/folder and then recreate the DVD.

Last edited:
The other way to do it is edit the ISO in UltraISO (after it has been extracted from the rar), extract the vobs/folder and then recreate the DVD.

Good advice... you could just try loading the ISO into DVDShrink and see what it makes of it too.

Back