does this dish setup look right?

Hi Mate,

I went on this project last week too...I had many questions that have become a lot more clearer now.

Go to...

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
I see that you are also using the technomate motor...
After putting in your location...select the motor 'MOTECK SG2100' from the list of satellites. This will give you line of site for true south (0 degrees). The technomate motor is the 'MOTECK SG2100' but has a its own branding and casing.

For example... I have selected leicester and 'MOTECK SG2100' on the above site.. Details i get back are below. (This is the block of text below the map towards the right)

Latitude: 52.6346°
Longitude: -1.1294°
Motor Latitude: 52.6°
Declination Angle: 7.5°
Dish Elevation: 22°
Elevation: 29.8°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 182.3°

From this information what i did...(Before i hung up the dish - all adjustments done at ground level)

1. Set motor Latitude angle to 52.6° - Well as close as.

2. The angle on the dish needs to be 22° as above mentioned Dish Elevation. (All the detail should be in the manual - I got confused here because i have read many articles on the setup. The motor arm comes off at 30° from the motor it self. So the 22° is derived from 30 - Declination angle = 22° or there about)

3. When attaching the motor make sure it is set to 0, and that when attaching to dish and all that everything alligns in a straight line. As in LNB in line with the 0 from the motor marking

No need to worry about Azimuth (true), Azimuth (magn.) or LNB skew angles. I didnt and it worked great.

Now...As you say you have the pole plum level. This is a must otherwise you will start to miss satellites on the complete Arc. (A meter also would be extremely handy because this can be difficult - The angle can be very exegerated once it reaches the satellite lol)

Ok...So once plum...hang the dish...Semi tighten bolts on the pole so that you can freely move it.

Point to south or as best possible south.

On the reciever got to USALS config (Motor config) and set your long and latitude... for the above example it would be Latitude 52.6 North and Longitude 1.1294 West.

Once that is set...its all about playing around, moving the whole dish around till you hit the satellite at 0.8 W Thor.

From there you will need to move around the arc scanning the satellites as you require.

Hope any of this is off help.

Regards.

Great help,If i dont get it with this info i fooking quit.lol,thanks

just assembled dish and wondering if i have done right.
Havent adjusted any degree settings etc,just need confirmation all is ok with basic
cheers chronomanView attachment 50722

see in your 1st pic were the motor ataches to the upright part on the bracket.

That part on mine is not str8,mite have to put the motor on and put a bit of packing in to level her up.

see in your 1st pic were the motor ataches to the upright part on the bracket.

That part on mine is not str8,mite have to put the motor on and put a bit of packing in to level her up.

Thats the important bit m8,it needs to be plumb before motor goes on.

but the bar has not been welded on str8

I know what exactly you mean, ive ordered the same setup as yours, could you take a pic of the way you've bolted the bracket on and used wedges ect?

thats the problem i had,the photo's were the first effort and was wrong.
In the end i used one bolt got pole square vertical .
Drilled smaller pilot holes when metal bracket was good and slid bracket to side.
then i drilled properly and fitted the rawbolts i bought from b&q as i desroyed pack ones.
Once i got the pole straight i then slackened of all bolt a little and wedged two of those red plastics things you get when doing laminate till i got exactly vertical pushing bottom from the wall.
i then tightened all up and is sweet now.
I still havent found a satellite yet but i know for sure the bracket is plum.
I am offshore so cant update pics just now guys
Hope this helps guys
cheers chronoman

Last edited:
Maybe its better too stick to tk brackets and pole ?

I thought that L pipe was just one part is the silver square bit seperate then ?

Sat-shops outta stock of 100cm Obital dish kits :( Gotta wait till Wed to find out if its in stock looks like I wont have any toys too play with till hopefully weekend lol

but the bar has not been welded on str8

I understand m8 but it needs to be plumb,just put some steel washers behind the plate and let the bolt go through the plate-then the washers-then into the wall,
Just adjust the amount of washers as necessary.

I understand m8 but it needs to be plumb,just put some steel washers behind the plate and let the bolt go through the plate-then the washers-then into the wall,
Just adjust the amount of washers as necessary.

Thats what i did i have a L shape bracket and before i did anything i made sure this was plumb and due SOUTH

mr p

when you guys mean that square plate part has too be plumb, are you saying it cant be uneven ie wonky or forward and completly on a flat service or at least vertical level with the spirit leveler(bubble reader) in all directions ?

just gotta get some tips before I start drilling/hammering away!

drill 1 hole in the wall for the plate,then make sure that the L part is straight then drill the holefor the opposite side of the plate ie if the 1st hole was top left put the second hole bottom left,now the L should be plumb on the 2 sides but the front of it can be adjusted by building out behind the plate if you need to

Ive been reading thru this post and use are scaring the shit out of me.
Ive been cable forever and with all the carry on recently ive toyed with the idea of satelite until i read here.
south,north,latitude,long go knows wit dude, ive no chance of picking this shit up sometime soon.

Think i'll just need to bite the bullet and start paying for the full package again,not like im that far away from it but the boy wont be too happy coughin up.

I was thinking of getting a small satelite dish for the bedroom tv coz i need a decent aerial anyhow and thought id try a decent deal i saw on maplins fro a satelite kit for 50 quid but it sounds like it will take me a couple of years to understand the setup.

God i hope they crack Nagra 3:(

Ive been reading thru this post and use are scaring the shit out of me.
Ive been cable forever and with all the carry on recently ive toyed with the idea of satelite until i read here.
south,north,latitude,long go knows wit dude, ive no chance of picking this shit up sometime soon.

Think i'll just need to bite the bullet and start paying for the full package again,not like im that far away from it but the boy wont be too happy coughin up.

I was thinking of getting a small satelite dish for the bedroom tv coz i need a decent aerial anyhow and thought id try a decent deal i saw on maplins fro a satelite kit for 50 quid but it sounds like it will take me a couple of years to understand the setup.

God i hope they crack Nagra 3:(

+1 on the confused and scared m8.. I don't do ladders too good as it is so how the hell will I get it straight LOL

It is scary even im still confused exactly how to go about installing a moterised kit but from what everyone has advised me very well over the past year and thats its worth you doing it yourself so you can learn it properly.

Last thing you wanna do is keep calling out the satman with a 60 or 100 quid call out charge everyime its windy. UK is nothing but Wind anyhow!

Heck my polish next door neighbour is always using the ladder too reposition his dish all the time and each time I see something like a screwdriver wedged inbetween or more tape!

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/5124/1000521r.jpg

Im thinking if this guy can do such a cowboy job and still pick up some goodies im sure I can do better !

+ Cables going Nagra3 so motivation is also high :)

the 1st time i done mine it took over a week
but now with the help of a sat finder and my m8
we can do start to finish in a few hours.

Hi how does the sat finder work ?

The instructions are a tad confusing cos it says turn the knob to 5db and realign the dish till you get the strongest signal, would have been nice if the instructions were move your dish up and down and left and right till u get the highest reading on the meter ?

i bought dish kit from power seller on fleabay 1m dish £139 del and it all decent kit
i am buying receiver from eurosky.co ,i believe they are giving dw member 5% discount
cheers for input guys ,just back will look at dish again tomorrow.

Hi m8,sometimes on fleabay the brackets that hold your pole are not good.
threaded brackets will stop your main pole slipping in high winds.I got some threaded brackets from quick fit.

Hi m8,sometimes on fleabay the brackets that hold your pole are not good.
threaded brackets will stop your main pole slipping in high winds.I got some threaded brackets from quick fit.

The Bracket is def crap on this kit but the motor ,lnb and i think the dish are fine.
with hindsite i would buy another bracket with the hassle this took as the vids i saw there were two adjustments.
Not unhappy with overall price and i am working on top of bay windows so got a decent platform.
If anyone has bought the kit from fleabay that i got there is tips on dvd on how to use satfinder.
I got the thing working as i thought was right but still didnt lock anything but i am loading the channel list once i get back from offshore so hopefully that will help me.
i was also using wifes iphone for compass but it kept dropping signal so bought a cheapy compass signal finder kit.
I am going to have to fix up a few family and close friends so i dont mind taking the hit and i always think fooking up a few things makes me remember then they all think i am shit hot.
I aint i just dont let things get the better of me.lol
The wife did consider phoning doctor last time home after working 2 hrs in freezing rain when i said i might have to get proffesional installer in.lol
Hopefully this thread and others will help the dafties in the forums like me from making same errors

Last edited:
Back