does this dish setup look right?

chronoman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
just assembled dish and wondering if i have done right.
Havent adjusted any degree settings etc,just need confirmation all is ok with basic
cheers chronomanView attachment 50722

if you look at first pic what i did was the 2 holes on the motor arm line them up with the 2 holes on the dish bracket makes it more secure just use straight bolts and some spacers if needed or if the elevation bolts get in the way and you have square u bolts slip the bolts through the motor holes

Last edited:
alright mate doin a good job there i dont know if its me or the angle of the picture but the bracket arm doesnt look plum maybe it is but just stick a little boat level on it to make sure.

thanks for reply
think its ok as i spent quite a time getting it vertical ,or should i say i hope i have.
the problem is i only have a sky box to test with as i am waiting on tuner arriving and am going to get decent box from eurosky undecided which route to go

cheers chronoman

It is hard to tell but the dish elevation angle maybe needs looking at, on mine it is set to 23 deg, but looks like yours is all the way to one end.

What angle did you set the motor to?

Frenchman

Got this from another forum. Not my work but should help you though.

Attachments

• Installing a motor.rar
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
It is hard to tell but the dish elevation angle maybe needs looking at, on mine it is set to 23 deg, but looks like yours is all the way to one end.

What angle did you set the motor to?

Frenchman

he says in his initial post he hasn't done any of the settings yet.

@chronoman where did you get your sat stuff from? I am looking at going the same route when nag3 hits us here :)

i bought dish kit from power seller on fleabay 1m dish £139 del and it all decent kit
i am buying receiver from eurosky.co ,i believe they are giving dw member 5% discount
cheers for input guys ,just back will look at dish again tomorrow.

Got this from another forum. Not my work but should help you though.

mark i got this in cd with kit .i am just unsure as to whether i had brackets right as there are 2 different angle settings .One on the motor and one on the sat bracket,if i set motor to 57 will it be right with other bracket,thats where i'm at.Unfortunatelly not having receiver yet doesnt help!

looking good m8 as long as everything is plumb .once it is and all the dish and inclinations are set up you should be able to try it out ,just make sure you have enuff room for the dish to swing from east to west or as far as it can go

Hi M8

Also, why can,t you use your sky reciever to set it up for now, all you
need to do, is put a unscrambled channel on ( fta ) and then find 28e.

Fezzy

mark i got this in cd with kit .i am just unsure as to whether i had brackets right as there are 2 different angle settings .One on the motor and one on the sat bracket,if i set motor to 57 will it be right with other bracket,thats where i'm at.Unfortunatelly not having receiver yet doesnt help!

Set your motor angle as per your location (lat/long) as described in guide. the elevation of the dish will then be set accordingly from there. This will help find yours out.

Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude

Then make sure the whole setup is points out in straight line and bolt together. Line the dish up with thor sat at 0.8 degrees and get as strong a signal as poss and tighten up. Then set your usuals settings in receiver.

Hi M8

Also, why can,t you use your sky reciever to set it up for now, all you
need to do, is put a unscrambled channel on ( fta ) and then find 28e.

Fezzy

because he has a motor and needs to be set up at 0 degrees first

guys a couple basics as i am little confused (not hard).
Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude

here is my location .
do i put elevation of motor to 34 (90- 56) or 56?
i am also confused as to how much you incline dish or does this stay neutral?
my location is fife uk which is
Latitude = 56.2082, Longitude = -3.1495
Lat = 56 degrees, 12.5 minutes North
Long = 3 degrees, 9.0 minutes West

If you want to point a satellite TV dish at Satellite= 0.8 West orbit longitude
Beam elevation= 26.0, Azimuth= 181.3 (magnetic compass), Polarisation= -1.6

Now i point compass to 182.3 and set elevation of motor to 34 ,do i use sat finder to tune tilting dish bit by bit or is there another setting.
sorry for such a basic but till i do once i am little stupid

cheers chronoman

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBErZGBb2Fo[/ame]

check that out mate,great lttle vid for setup in the uk

cheers bro
i have seen that its the basic settings to motor i require,i notice theres is about 57 but i am unsure as to what i should set mine to.
i think if i get motor alignment ok the rest should be fine .
going to spend a couple hrs this morning on it

cheers chronoman

i usually get the motor right and just put the dish straightish as you have to move it up and down till found thor lol

Hi Mate,

I went on this project last week too...I had many questions that have become a lot more clearer now.

Go to...

Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
I see that you are also using the technomate motor...
After putting in your location...select the motor 'MOTECK SG2100' from the list of satellites. This will give you line of site for true south (0 degrees). The technomate motor is the 'MOTECK SG2100' but has a its own branding and casing.

For example... I have selected leicester and 'MOTECK SG2100' on the above site.. Details i get back are below. (This is the block of text below the map towards the right)

Latitude: 52.6346°
Longitude: -1.1294°
Motor Latitude: 52.6°
Declination Angle: 7.5°
Dish Elevation: 22°
Elevation: 29.8°
Azimuth (true): 180.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 182.3°

From this information what i did...(Before i hung up the dish - all adjustments done at ground level)

1. Set motor Latitude angle to 52.6° - Well as close as.

2. The angle on the dish needs to be 22° as above mentioned Dish Elevation. (All the detail should be in the manual - I got confused here because i have read many articles on the setup. The motor arm comes off at 30° from the motor it self. So the 22° is derived from 30 - Declination angle = 22° or there about)

3. When attaching the motor make sure it is set to 0, and that when attaching to dish and all that everything alligns in a straight line. As in LNB in line with the 0 from the motor marking

No need to worry about Azimuth (true), Azimuth (magn.) or LNB skew angles. I didnt and it worked great.

Now...As you say you have the pole plum level. This is a must otherwise you will start to miss satellites on the complete Arc. (A meter also would be extremely handy because this can be difficult - The angle can be very exegerated once it reaches the satellite lol)

Ok...So once plum...hang the dish...Semi tighten bolts on the pole so that you can freely move it.

Point to south or as best possible south.

On the reciever got to USALS config (Motor config) and set your long and latitude... for the above example it would be Latitude 52.6 North and Longitude 1.1294 West.

Once that is set...its all about playing around, moving the whole dish around till you hit the satellite at 0.8 W Thor.

From there you will need to move around the arc scanning the satellites as you require.

Hope any of this is off help.

Regards.

Back