Do spiderbox's 'freeze' a lot?

mikegb

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, First post on here. I have been thinking about getting a spiderbox 7000, I am more interested in the movie channels it can get than sport but read something on a forum about it being nearly impossible to watch a movie uninterrupted as they keep 'freezing' a lot.
Can anyone tell me anything about this as I know almost nothing about the unmentionable system they use to open channels but I have seen it suggested that their system is overloaded which may cause this.
I tried getting some info on the altwats forum but my posts seem to get one terse response from jerkoffjimmyhendricks or anorak saying they work great then get removed before anyone else can give an opinion, the same pair seem to be on the spiderbox.tv forum as wll, hope they aren't on here.

i just bought a 7000HD
newcamd works great , fine NO issues whatsoever...FAB picture and dead simple to use box ....

HOWEVER..

i tried using a c line ( from server using cccam2.14) and every 5 mins it froze for a few seconds then came back on...very annoying .(with latest firmware) .
i believe they are ok with cccam as long as its 2.11 ?

i went back to newcamd after unsuccessfully trying the cccam .
overall i am happy with the box though....

Hi, First post on here. I have been thinking about getting a spiderbox 7000, I am more interested in the movie channels it can get than sport but read something on a forum about it being nearly impossible to watch a movie uninterrupted as they keep 'freezing' a lot.
Can anyone tell me anything about this as I know almost nothing about the unmentionable system they use to open channels but I have seen it suggested that their system is overloaded which may cause this.
I tried getting some info on the altwats forum but my posts seem to get one terse response from jerkoffjimmyhendricks or anorak saying they work great then get removed before anyone else can give an opinion, the same pair seem to be on the spiderbox.tv forum as wll, hope they aren't on here.

if you are talking about the sevice+gift channels they can do you have to accept a little with this way of watching tv but sometimes it can be worse than others for constant freezing or channels not opening at all or you can get perfect viewing it can be the same for any box with built in channels that connect to server .
if you are talking about adding your own line as chrispters said try a few as spiderbox can have issues with some servers and certain versions of cccam ,
but what the box can open for you for the price is value for money you can also look at protek boxes as they connect to a server as well but i do not know if you can enter your own lines on these boxes

Thanks for the info, is it possible to say how long the freezes usually last, seconds, minutes, hours?
I'm afraid you lost me a bit with newcamd and ccam, is this something to do with how the 'gift' works.

Thanks for the info, is it possible to say how long the freezes usually last, seconds, minutes, hours?
I'm afraid you lost me a bit with newcamd and ccam, is this something to do with how the 'gift' works.

cccam and newcamnd nothing to do with the gift this is where you can add your own servers onto the box if you want to
freezez glitches whatever you want to call them are breaks in connection seconds and minutes spring to mind but if a channel goes down or even the server goes down it takes as long as it takes to come back sometimes needed to update cards etc .
also spikes in home broadband can cause this as well but also bear in mind that a lot of channels can open BUT only some offer english language as an option not all spanish french dutch there main language comes first even if english is shown as an option does not allways mean that it is available
hope that helps a little .
oh have you got a dish installed as you will have to think about this as well as to get the most you will need to go motorised or at least have a dual lnb set up for 19e and 13e
if you have a minidish on the side of your house pointing at 28e this box will get you no more than any other freesat box if you want these channels that is where the cccam and newcamnd options come in
think thats enough for you to think on now

I'd be happy with a few half-decent english movie channels, it was mainly this freezing business that put me off as it sounded like it could be very frustrating.
House we moved into recently is bristling with sat dishes, including a motorised one, which is what got me thinking about something like this as I am not prepared to fund any of murdocs enterprises.

Alright mate the only time they freeze is when you get a crap server.

Threre a a few on here who tested servers upto 214 and all ok. Some have had issues.
Personally I use a 213/214 share most of the time and its perfect.
Others will say I lie so make of it what you like. A certain member on here has given test lines out and they have worked fine on the higher cccam ie 213/214.

Last edited:
Threre a a few on here who tested servers upto 214 and all ok. Some have had issues.
Personally I use a 213/214 share most of the time and its perfect.
Others will say I lie so make of it what you like. A certain member on here has given test lines out and they have worked fine on the higher cccam ie 213/214.
i would say the majority of units work fine with the odd one causing problems.
i would say this is good box if running small family friends networkif you want to use industrial shares i would head toward dreambox .
If you can afford a vuo+ duo or solo i would say they were miles in front of all especially with this vix image.
i have a vuo+ ,spider 9000 and dream and dream 800 (clone) and i rate them in that order for purchasing also .
My wife is actually enjoying vuo+ now with recent picon upgrades so my journet with vuo is nearing end.lol

Re what halfman halflager said about cccam and newcamnd and adding your own servers being nothing to do with the gift, is the other stuff about servers still something you don't get with a standard box/gift as that is all I am interested in finding out about at the moment, I haven't a clue about how you would go about using a server or any of that.
Heard last night that a friend-of-a-friend has a spiderbox 5000 so going to have a look at it tonight.

Re what halfman halflager said about cccam and newcamnd and adding your own servers being nothing to do with the gift, is the other stuff about servers still something you don't get with a standard box/gift as that is all I am interested in finding out about at the moment, I haven't a clue about how you would go about using a server or any of that.
Heard last night that a friend-of-a-friend has a spiderbox 5000 so going to have a look at it tonight.
have a look at your friends 5000 you will be pleasantly suprised at how it works and what you can get .however if you can afford it go for the 90000 with the hd option you do get more channel option as some are shown in the hd but not in sd and patches and updates tend to come first for the 9000 70000 models the 70000 model is similar but has no rf output only one scart no universal remote .so in my opinion the 90000 is worth the extra money .
and as for adding your own server find a good one and you are there some people do not even bother as if you have a motorised dish there is plenty available to keep you entertained .
but one thing to remember with this style of viewing your broadband goes down for a few days you have no viewing for a few days thats the only drawback in my opinion .
i have a 9000 and can say picture output in hd is superb easy to set up i only have 19e as an option as i lost 13e (must get back up the ladders} but from your ask re films there are good films shown on spanish canel similar to sly movies and the majority have english soundtrack so they should keep you happy
and from what i have read they have just been reduced in price at the main supplier
hope this helps

you dont need any knowledge of servers mate to get a spider box going just a broadband connection. I"ve had a 7000HD since last july and am still pleased as punch with it.evryone on this site will help if you need it but your mate should be able to set it up for you.If your main interest is films in english there is plenty to watch on 19E,16E,13E,0.8W,30W all with service + so its best if you connect it to the motorised dish.even with service+you get the odd freeeze and sometimes channels go down but most nights you can watch a film all the through with no problems because there are so many to choose from.

you dont need any knowledge of servers mate to get a spider box going just a broadband connection. I"ve had a 7000HD since last july and am still pleased as punch with it.evryone on this site will help if you need it but your mate should be able to set it up for you.If your main interest is films in english there is plenty to watch on 19E,16E,13E,0.8W,30W all with service + so its best if you connect it to the motorised dish.even with service+you get the odd freeeze and sometimes channels go down but most nights you can watch a film all the through with no problems because there are so many to choose from.

I would agree with all this, but ensure you get a HD version if your budget can accomodate it.

Last edited:
Alright mate the only time they freeze is when you get a crap server.

completely UNTRUE...
The server i use is flawless using a Dreambox and cccam 2.14 !
however when i connect the spider to the exact same server..i have bad freezing issues .
I aint knocking the box...because switch it onto Newcamd , and its ok !
pic quality is best i seen on a box !!! Darkman did a great job with a VERY easy to use interface ! the positives WAY greater than the negatives.
Easy to use..looks like the only issues ( which i have no doubt will get solved) is a flaky now and next epg, and the issue with cccam 2.14 !
The box is Great ! dont let it put you off....

Just been to see the guy with the spiderbox and I am very undecided about them now, some of the channels didn't seem too bad but one he put it on, nova cinema I think, was stopping and starting every few seconds, he said that was one of the worst but there were a few others like that, apparently it was fine when he got it about 9 months ago but it has been getting really bad lately and that the software updates they put out for it never help, he also said that a lot of the channels that are claimed as being available in the 'gift' just show 'scrambled' all the time.

Just been to see the guy with the spiderbox and I am very undecided about them now, some of the channels didn't seem too bad but one he put it on, nova cinema I think, was stopping and starting every few seconds, he said that was one of the worst but there were a few others like that, apparently it was fine when he got it about 9 months ago but it has been getting really bad lately and that the software updates they put out for it never help, he also said that a lot of the channels that are claimed as being available in the 'gift' just show 'scrambled' all the time.

patches for the gift are out almost daily on here...
I myself dont use gift ...i just use a server ( i have static 28.2) i only want full sky hd , so cant help u on gift .

Patches are out daily?
Have a good look back and see how many patches come out.
2 of the last couple have been for austriasat and tntsat hacks not gift.
Very little patches come out for gift.
Technomate/clarketech etc release same amount when a new provider is available.

going into"network" and turning service+ off then exit to full screen then go back in and turn service+ back on this can help with freezing.you get an awful lot of channels to watch and most are stable most of the time its just like most things learning how to get the best out of it,at less than £150 for an HD box now and with the value of the packages open you cant really go wrong on 16E alone there was at least 6 film,4 documenary and 5 xxx plus all the other channels open last night I watched "Doom" on thriller from start to finish without a glitch(in english).a lot of the channels that freeze on your friends box will be nuevoxstream channels but any new box wont get these any way. if you want 100% glitch free viewing you will have to spend a few 100 pounds on a card plus the box to put it in.

agree with dickb as prices at main supplier have gone down you mentioned your friend has a 5000 can not comment as have a 9000 and for what you get built in you can not complain .
i have read that the 5000 does not get as many updates and has not got as many features of the 7000/9000
internet spikes can cause blips slight dish mis alienment as well and also nova on 13e is one of the harder ones to share if you go for a 7000/or 9000 you will get the benefits of hd and more channels and quicker updates .
i hate to say this but if you want perfect flicker free viewing viewing then you would need a valid sub with a provider as any off the server type boxes spider ggg protek can all suffer this glitchy and freezing your broadband provider can be at fault for cutting you down at peak times also provider routers can be to blame for problems as well .
i can say i am happy what i get from the 9000 i can only get basic broadband 2mb where i live and use a belkin router .
my cline was fine on 213 214 caused some high ecms but now it is using 221 the spider
does not like it
considering you are not adding a line this will not bother you
i still think it is worth considering if you can afford go for the 9000 for about £170 as it has better handset extra scart and rf out so you can pump through the house or the 7000 for about £150 if you only want sdyou could go for a protek before the 5000 as you get more channels built in .
but for the price of the protek to the 7000 there is only about £15 to save
if you buy one you will be happy at what you get but remember for 100% flicker free viewing you will have to buy a sub off some description and then an stb box to run it.

Still haven't made my mind up. Left my jacket at the guys with the 5000 and when I went back for it his kids were watching something on 'canal+' which looked to be coming in no problem at all.
Changed broadband provider recently and have not noticed any problems with them so far, they do try to throttle P2P traffic if they detect it but utorrents 'encryption' option seems to stop that.
Where could I find some info about getting/using 'lines' etc.

Back