dm800se "Bricked" After Uninstalling CrossEPG - Fails To Flash Image ?

Pimpur Crack

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I uninstalled the CrossEPG plugin from my dm800se using the options of:

Menu -> Plugins -> Red Button (Remove Plugins) -> systemplugins -> crossepg -> Yes

followed by a reboot of the dm800se.

It got as far as the "Stop" screen with the IP address that I normally see when flashing an image using a web browser and will not proceed past that point. I have tried reflashing both the bootloader and the image followed by a reboot using the browser flash method but it keeps getting stuck at this point.

Any help most appreciated, the dm800se has the mini flash button on the rear panel but I do not know how to use this or if this will be any use?

Follow Up:

I downloaded the rescue files from the utilities section and got the USB com port driver installed OK, connected to the dm800se using the sunray flashup OK via USB cable into the mini USB service slot then tried to flash an image using the http mode browser interface but it came up with invalid image, the image was an OpenPLi image built 19th March 2013 and uses ssl84b, do I need a different ssl based image?

Finally, where does the mini flashup button come into play, is this some type of alternative rescue option?

Cdmt
Pimpi

Last edited:
hold in miniflash button power on the box

flash image same as browser method

you could try bootloader 76 then flash latest bootloader & image

Hi,

I uninstalled the CrossEPG plugin from my dm800se using the options of:

Menu -> Plugins -> Red Button (Remove Plugins) -> systemplugins -> crossepg -> Yes

followed by a reboot of the dm800se.

It got as far as the "Stop" screen with the IP address that I normally see when flashing an image using a web browser and will not proceed past that point. I have tried reflashing both the bootloader and the image followed by a reboot using the browser flash method but it keeps getting stuck at this point.

Any help most appreciated, the dm800se has the mini flash button on the rear panel but I do not know how to use this or if this will be any use?

Follow Up:

I downloaded the rescue files from the utilities section and got the USB com port driver installed OK, connected to the dm800se using the sunray flashup OK via USB cable into the mini USB service slot then tried to flash an image using the http mode browser interface but it came up with invalid image, the image was an OpenPLi image built 19th March 2013 and uses ssl84b, do I need a different ssl based image?

Finally, where does the mini flashup button come into play, is this some type of alternative rescue option?

Cdmt
Pimpi

have you connected box to router with Ethernet cable?
mini flashup button is meant to be the same as holding down the power button,but i found i never got an ip when i used mini flash button so held down power and got ip..strange as it has not done anything for me.

have you connected box to router with Ethernet cable?
mini flashup button is meant to be the same as holding down the power button,but i found i never got an ip when i used mini flash button so held down power and got ip..strange as it has not done anything for me.

Yes, both the PC and the box are connected to the router via an ethernet cable. I got an IP address when pressing down the mini flash button and turning it on but then when I tried to load the image it said invalid image. I will try flashing an earlier bootloader, followed by ssl84b followed by the OpenPLi image that needs ssl84b.

I'll be back.....

Cdmt
Pimpi

Yes, both the PC and the box are connected to the router via an ethernet cable. I got an IP address when pressing down the mini flash button and turning it on but then when I tried to load the image it said invalid image. I will try flashing an earlier bootloader, followed by ssl84b followed by the OpenPLi image that needs ssl84b.

I'll be back.....

Cdmt
Pimpi

yep i had invalid image a load of times used to p@ss me right off how can it be invalid.i used to swap from dreamup patched to sunray flashup
in the end i would put on dbuk 2.1.2 as that always loaded.

yep i had invalid image a load of times used to p@ss me right off how can it be invalid.i used to swap from dreamup patched to sunray flashup

AJT,

Thx for the tip about the dbuk 2.1.2 image. Would you know where I can find a download for it for a clone dm800se, I just checked the clone dm800se downloads and cant seem to find one in there?

Cdmt
Pimpi

Which flashup program did you use to get the image flashed, was it DreamUp or SunrayFlashup?

Cdmt
Pimpi

Update:

Downloaded the dreamboxUK original image, then used sunray flashup to flash ssl84b, all OK, then tried to flash the dreamboxUK v2.1.2 image and got the invalid image message.

Any suggestions, I seem to be getting nowhere with this and the dm800se is still bricked?

Cdmt
Pimpi

is this a clone box or original?

should be a fairly easy recovery that

i usually go back to early bootloaders like 76d

but try flashing 84b a good image followed by 84b again use the mini flashup button

no reboots between loads

Update:

Downloaded the dreamboxUK original image, then used sunray flashup to flash ssl84b, all OK, then tried to flash the dreamboxUK v2.1.2 image and got the invalid image message.

Any suggestions, I seem to be getting nowhere with this and the dm800se is still bricked?

Cdmt
Pimpi

I used sunray flashup.
flash bootloader first,then POWER OFF BOX REMOVE POWER LEAD FOR 10SECS OR SO.plug back in with switch off on back of box,hold front power button in switch on from back reboot into http mode/flash mode and flash image and then bootloader again
try this image..it worked for me.
Dreamboxuk 2.1.2 with moon boot logo - Downloads - DigitalWorldz - Satellite, Cable, Console Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
is this a clone box or original?

should be a fairly easy recovery that

i usually go back to early bootloaders like 76d

but try flashing 84b a good image followed by 84b again use the mini flashup button

no reboots between loads

I have tried the method of "bhoywonder" as described above and unfortunately it did not work. I have listed below the precise steps I took.

1. Powered up the box by turning it on at the rear panel power switch keeping the mini flashup button pressed down.
2. Waited until the display indicated the "Stop" message and released the mini flashup button
3. Made a note of the IP address displayed on the box and then opened up Internet Explorer (v8)
4. Typed the IP address of the box into the Internet Explorer address bar, pressed enter and connected to the box.
5. Selected the firmware upgrade option and flashed bootloader ssl84b
6. Repeated the firmware upgrade using separate Internet Expolorer tabs to then flash the DreamboxUK 2.1.2 image (AJT link in post below) and then the bootloader ssl84b again after the image flash. There were no reboots between flashes.
7. Clicked the "reboot" button in the browser screen to reboot the box.

Nothing, it got as far as the "stop" message in the display, there was no mini flashup button pressed for this reboot nor was the front panel button below the display pressed, it was a normal attempt at a reboot after a flash via a web browser.

Any feedback on the above re a solution most appreciated. I will try the sunrayflashup method posted below by AJT next.

Cdmt
Pimpi

I used sunray flashup.
flash bootloader first,then POWER OFF BOX REMOVE POWER LEAD FOR 10SECS OR SO.plug back in with switch off on back of box,hold front power button in switch on from back reboot into http mode/flash mode and flash image and then bootloader again
try this image..it worked for me.
Dreamboxuk 2.1.2 with moon boot logo - Downloads - DigitalWorldz - Satellite, Cable, Console Forums

AJT,

Is all of the method done using the sunray flashup or is it only the first part that is done with sunray flashup, also when you flash the bootloaded with sunray flashup, what "Flash" button are you clicking, the one in the internet explorer or the one in the sunray flashup, there are two options?

"I used sunray flashup...flash bootloader first,then POWER OFF BOX REMOVE POWER LEAD FOR 10SECS OR SO..."

The part where you say

"...plug back in with switch off on back of box,hold front power button in switch on from back reboot into http mode/flash mode and flash image and then bootloader again..."

this sounds to me like it is a normal browser flash rather than a sunray flashup flash?

Can you please clarify this as I would like to make sure I am following the exact steps?

Lastly, I am using the "dreamup-suray.exe" flashup program that I downloaded from the tools and utilities section of this forum, is that the flashup program you are using or are you using a different one? If you are using a different one would you please be able to provide a download link?

Cdmt
Pimpi

AJT,

Is all of the method done using the sunray flashup or is it only the first part that is done with sunray flashup, also when you flash the bootloaded with sunray flashup, what "Flash" button are you clicking, the one in the internet explorer or the one in the sunray flashup, there are two options?

"I used sunray flashup...flash bootloader first,then POWER OFF BOX REMOVE POWER LEAD FOR 10SECS OR SO..."

The part where you say

"...plug back in with switch off on back of box,hold front power button in switch on from back reboot into http mode/flash mode and flash image and then bootloader again..."

this sounds to me like it is a normal browser flash rather than a sunray flashup flash?

Can you please clarify this as I would like to make sure I am following the exact steps?

Lastly, I am using the "dreamup-suray.exe" flashup program that I downloaded from the tools and utilities section of this forum, is that the flashup program you are using or are you using a different one? If you are using a different one would you please be able to provide a download link?

Cdmt
Pimpi

I used this flashup sunray-flashup.rar

Hi mate i have used both.one the flashup with sim 210 and now browser with sim A8P.
you do the same thing flash first bootloader with flashup once flashed pull the plug/kill power for a bit..make sure box is switched of on the back switch and plug back in,set up flashup again ie box detected dm800se and flash the image and then flash bootloader again straight after without closing or rebooting.
what i found with flash up was it was not finding my ip address so i would set it all up open flashup and you can see that ip is wrong or not there so i would do a dummy flash of something and close flashup,,i would then open flashup again and in the drop down bit my ip was there and was able to flash

AJT,

Thanks for the reply and the link to the sunray-flashup.rar, it is a different name to the one I was trying with so but it looks to be the same program according to the version ID, however I will try this one out, nothing to lose at this stage, I am in the "last chance saloon" at the moment, my club hammer is close by at the ready....

Cdmt
Pimpi

Update:
Downloaded the dreamboxUK original image

I am posting this so you know where you may have gone wrong and do not repeat the mistake. As far as I am aware, the original image is for genuine/clones with a8p sims. Before you download, check which section you are downloading from.

start again mate

as pointed out make sure image suits your sim

its a common fault easily fixed

few pointers may help as well

old or invalid image sometimes just flashing with other browser sorts it

i find after flashing bootloader allow partial boot up then flash image works also

never had to use rescue files so far

stick at it mate

Thanks for the replies, I have tried several images for a clone dm800se that are all ssl84b compatible and none have worked so far.

bhoywonder, you wrote

"...i find after flashing bootloader allow partial boot up then flash image works also..."

how do you do this, press the reboot button in the browser without loading an image, surely it just hangs again?

This is the image I am trying to flash, it is for a clone dm800se and is bootloader ssl84b compatible. I did try to flash an original dreamboxUK image out of desperation yesterday, however, it failed so I aborted using that image and have been trying with this clone dm800se image since then to no avail.

The box seems to accept the flashes OK but when I reboot it always hangs at the "stop" message even though I am not pressing the mini flash button or the front panel button.

Cdmt
Pimpi

Started again using the below:

1. Powered up the box by turning it on at the rear panel power switch keeping the mini flashup button pressed down.
2. Waited until the display indicated the "Stop" message and released the mini flashup button
3. Made a note of the IP address displayed on the box and then opened up Internet Explorer (v8)
4. Typed the IP address of the box into the Internet Explorer address bar, pressed enter and connected to the box.
6. Repeated the firmware upgrade using separate Internet Expolorer tabs to then flash the CLONE DreamboxUK 2.1.2 image (ssl84b compatible) and then the bootloader ssl84b again after the image flash. There were no reboots between flashes.

Nothing, it got as far as the "stop" message in the display, there was no mini flashup button pressed for this reboot nor was the front panel button below the display pressed, it was a normal attempt at a reboot after a flash via a web browser.

Can anyone see anything wrong with the above process, the box is still banjaxed, moving on to another method using flashup tools.

Cdmt
Pimpi

Started again using the below:

6. Repeated the firmware upgrade using separate Internet Expolorer tabs to then flash the CLONE DreamboxUK 2.1.2 image (ssl84b compatible) and then the bootloader ssl84b again after the image flash. There were no reboots between flashes.

Can anyone see anything wrong with the above process, the box is still banjaxed, moving on to another method using flashup tools.

Cdmt
Pimpi

use the same page for all 3 flashes.click on back tab after a flash and load new image/bootloader and repeat.

not seeing anything wrong with methods you do mate

it should work

Back