DM800hd purchase and setup advice.

Yeah e-sata is good, a usb drive needs a power supply to because the dm usb slots don't have enough power to run a drive on its own.

Last edited:
the link you have isn't to a drive but an enclosure. one of these will do the trick but you need a 2.5" enclosure, not a 3.5" enclosure for the drive you currently have. check ebay!

No i also have loads of spare sata 3.5" as well

If you have a local poundland you can get a usb notebook cooler for £1, or any usb laptop cooler.

The poundland laptop coolers are good I use one on my Dm800hd, clear plastic stand suits the box quite well.

The standard internal factory fitted fans are crap...bearings fail and get noisy very quickly. You can oil the bearing but it doesnt last long.

The only annoying thing about the poundland cooler is the fan has blue LED's so if your reciver is in a bedroom, it glows at night and you cant sleep ! It also stays on all the time even when the box is in standby.

I seen a link somewhere to a coolermaster heatsink and ballbearing fan chipset cooler that fits the Dm800HD, cant find it now though..

Anyway of turning the display on the front off or turn the brightness right down when its on stand by?>

the link you have isn't to a drive but an enclosure. one of these will do the trick but you need a 2.5" enclosure, not a 3.5" enclosure for the drive you currently have. check ebay!
Check this one and save few quid.Why is win 7 not supported, they dont need drivers.Great thread !!!! Well done to all. Sorry should have said Hi to all. My first post and expecting my DM800 any day soon from Yaoxin
3.5 SATA TO eSata USB HDD External Enclosure Caddy Case on eBay (end time 01-Dec-10 17:29:43 GMT)

Last edited:
just open it up and snip out all of the LED's mate lol.

I have been meaning to do exactly that...finally got round to it last night, twisted both LEDS off with some long nose pliers...sorted now...
Still would be better if the fan would switch off when the box in standby..Not sure if you can do this by rewiring one of the wires to a pin ion the SCART socket...

Have a look at Digi's fan mod for the tm800hd.
i would think it cant differ much,
just need to find the right pin outs.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/247010/

It's even easier the mod for clone dm800's has been around for ages with soldering negative wire to a pin 8 on the SCART socket. I just havent got around to bothering with it yet.

The scart socket is sealed on a TM 800 with a metal cage so you cant use it on them,,,hence why you have to find points on the board etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi tazb3, Is your DM800 the one with M3 tuner in it?

Sorry pinhead if we're going bit off key. This has been very useful to my learning curve.
Yes its tuner M called 800+ and costs $218 including shipping.
http://www.yaoxincn.com/pro.asp?id=259. Are links allowed ?
Did anyone look at that ebay site for enclosures , he has good selection of UDB fans . Suitable for 800HD ?

does this mean that the new tuner now fixes all of the previous glitcihng problems etc?
what are the current issues with this box?

Sorry pinhead if we're going bit off key. This has been very useful to my learning curve.
Yes its tuner M called 800+ and costs $218 including shipping.
http://www.yaoxincn.com/pro.asp?id=259. Are links allowed ?
Did anyone look at that ebay site for enclosures , he has good selection of UDB fans . Suitable for 800HD ?
how long did the box take to come from these mate, was it long!

It's even easier the mod for clone dm800's has been around for ages with soldering negative wire to a pin 8 on the SCART socket. I just havent got around to bothering with it yet.

The scart socket is sealed on a TM 800 with a metal cage so you cant use it on them,,,hence why you have to find points on the board etc...

You could also use the hard drive power for your fan on a dm800.

At Gsm tech.
Have you thought about taking the power for the fans from one of the usb ports?
Would have thought the power would have been sufficient and that they would turn off when the box goes into standby.
Wizbit77

Back