dm500s faulty

tony49

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok lads im hoping that may be someone can help me out here

last week my 2 son and daughter fetch there dm500s around for me to update the channel list now both were working thay say but when i set them up here niether one came on so i put a new pli image on the first one i get pli screen then set up then then i do a transponder scan this is what i get

my tv pick.png

basicly the second is the same apart from when you go to do a scan you just get a black screen can you till bye the pick is it faulty tuners cheers all

tony

some weird vid problem(maybe vid drivers) looks like to me...please try to reflash the box with a different image and see what happens.
Go to Sat finder and see what signal u are getting from the dish ....

some weird vid problem(maybe vid drivers) looks like to me...please try to reflash the box with a different image and see what happens.
Go to Sat finder and see what signal u are getting from the dish ....

thanks for that but ive tryed it commando 14.4 gemini 5.4 and then back to pli all the some they just wont get pass the boot up screen

try the pli image version with the oldframbuffer

have you tried them on a different telly, you say they worked when they brought you them, would seem very strange for 2 boxes to go funny with the same thing on the same day, try and plug 1 into a different tv just by scart with no sat feed connected and see what happens! i would defo say its more to do with the tv rather than the boxes, or maybe try using a different version of dreamup to flash them!

have you tried them on a different telly, you say they worked when they brought you them, would seem very strange for 2 boxes to go funny with the same thing on the same day, try and plug 1 into a different tv just by scart with no sat feed connected and see what happens! i would defo say its more to do with the tv rather than the boxes, or maybe try using a different version of dreamup to flash them!

it is a very odd thing as the other dm500s works ok from the same power lead with the same scart so the scart is ok the power lead is ok

ive tryed what jfish said and its the same as soon as i press ok for a transponder scan its just a black screen

i can only assume if others work fine it must be the images your using bud, download a few different images and try them all, would defo try a different version of dreamup too just to be on the safe side, certainly a strange 1!

this is what my 800 looked like with faulty tuner.
yours looks more like a scart issue ,have you tried phono leads?
IMG_0275.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for that pickture jth but im not getting anything past the boot image ive tryed loads of images plus some of my back image flash erase and just flash the scart is ok in my server box then if i try the one that was in the server its the same i will c if i can get me daughter to pull the power out of the tv in the morning and do a reset on the tv thanks all and will get back to you tomorrow

ps im using dreamup v.1.3.3.4 can it get curupet and what would be the best one to get and try

cheers all tony

Tony- the same thing happened on my dm500s testbox yesterday. Swapped it out to the lounge box power, and it was fine. The lounge box (OpenPLi) gave the same problem when connected to the office power. So it's the PSU adaptor that's knacked. Same in your case, with two boxes both giving the same issues.

OK, it's a mystery why your original dm500 still works on the same lead, but these boxes will work fine when back on their own PSUs, believe me.

Sorry Mods if fleaBay links aren't allowed, but Lincsat tells me that the PSU is the achilles heel of all dm500 clone boxes. So this is the replacement that I've ordered:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

£4-79 with free P&P for what seems to be a top quality item can't be bad, and info well worth sharing. Maplin will take £15 to £20 off you for something similar, which probably comes out of the same factory in China, FFS!

Cheers- AL :)

By way of feedback, my new PSU arrived this morning, 1st Class Post, which isn't bad for free P&P!!! My testbox is up and running again, woooo! Gonna soak test it for 24 hours and if the video is still stable, then I'm gonna buy a second one ready for when the Lounge box psu dies. Shouldn't be long, as they were both from the same batch...

BTW, the temporary Netgear 12v 1.2A psu I was using started to act up on the video side after about 4 hours of use. So I don't think the rating was quite man enough for the job. From what I've read, the 2A rating 'should' be fine for DM500S...

So, by the looks of it, problem solved for less than a £fiver- AL's a happy bunny! ;)

Tony- the same thing happened on my dm500s testbox yesterday. Swapped it out to the lounge box power, and it was fine. The lounge box (OpenPLi) gave the same problem when connected to the office power. So it's the PSU adaptor that's knacked. Same in your case, with two boxes both giving the same issues.

OK, it's a mystery why your original dm500 still works on the same lead, but these boxes will work fine when back on their own PSUs, believe me.

Sorry Mods if fleaBay links aren't allowed, but Lincsat tells me that the PSU is the achilles heel of all dm500 clone boxes. So this is the replacement that I've ordered:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

£4-79 with free P&P for what seems to be a top quality item can't be bad, and info well worth sharing. Maplin will take £15 to £20 off you for something similar, which probably comes out of the same factory in China, FFS!

Cheers- AL :)

i feel like i have egg on my face

you were so rite my friend i was not to good yesterday so got my daughter to pull power plug on tv and reset it i then tryed the server box with av1 av2 and ygb all work ok
this morning the first replacement turn up for my son so sorted it out for him
as he still had the powerlead from the faulty box i keep the new one here so just for a bit of fun i pluged the faulty one in will if i could of took a pickture of my face i would post it on here for you lads to have a laugh but im happy being laughed at as long as the boxes are ok but silly me has the othere dm500 coming tomorrow yes i will get a new powerlead from the markeplace thanks alll for your help

both boxes are ok funny it was the only thing i didnt try but there you go

hey as long as they are working again , then its all good , no one is laffing mate

both boxes are ok funny it was the only thing i didnt try but there you go

good informative thread though...

i didn't kow the psu's were so dodgy...

this is what forums are all about... :)

good informative thread though...

i didn't kow the psu's were so dodgy...

this is what forums are all about... :)

yes its the second psu thats gone down and that one was only 4 month old the reason i didnt think it was the psu till last is one of the boxes worked with it the ones that didnt was the one i reflashed so i think it put a strian on the psu when it started a transponder scan but it is good for any newbies and there is quite a fue of them now

i must say iv got around 8 dreamboxes all together, 4 old cable 500c's 2x 500's and 2x 800hd's and iv never had a problem with the psu's, and the older cable boxes are about 5-6 years old now or round about, yet im still using 1 of them with the original psu as my server and it works fine, so its gotta be noted that not all the psu's are dodgy in these clone boxes!

By way of feedback, my new PSU arrived this morning, 1st Class Post, which isn't bad for free P&P!!! My testbox is up and running again, woooo! Gonna soak test it for 24 hours and if the video is still stable, then I'm gonna buy a second one ready for when the Lounge box psu dies. Shouldn't be long, as they were both from the same batch...

BTW, the temporary Netgear 12v 1.2A psu I was using started to act up on the video side after about 4 hours of use. So I don't think the rating was quite man enough for the job. From what I've read, the 2A rating 'should' be fine for DM500S...

So, by the looks of it, problem solved for less than a £fiver- AL's a happy bunny! ;)

That is unreal each time I clicked on "Automatic Transponder Scan" to setup the channels I just got a "black screen" and there was no light on the front, swapped out the power with my netgear router and fixed... Thanks for the post

i've had a few dm500 cable and sattelite clones over the years, still have 2 dm500 in my house, a few of my family members are also using 500S V8 clones. I've only ever had 1 PSU fail. When I opened the PSU and checked it had one bulging capacitor at the back of the supply...replaced this for 52p from Maplins and it fixed it.
Power supplies are the achillies heel of a lot of devices, the good thing about Dreambox PSU's is that they are seperate external units and pretty generic easy to buy cheap replacments..with other boxes such as VU,TM,Openbox etc etc..The power supplies are internal custom boards if they fail you have to go to the manufacturer for replacment,.

Back