Diy Ambilight for TV

Check the manual mate or download a data sheet for it... Should say

How can I find out what power the TV's USB can handle ?
I'm sure the standard spec for USB 2 is 5v, 500mA (0.5amps).

This doesn't mean that TV doesn't support higher amps as TV can supply higher than that if it's designed to.

Wouldn't that LED light distract people from watching the actual content?

I got a 2m strip but its nowhere long enough lol I need double the amount if I'm going all the way around
so need to order more
Getting it from China this time so will take a few weeks

ah my subject , I have these connected to my PC for movies streamed from PC to TV. I'm lucky as my PC in the kitchen backs onto the wall of the living room were the tv is situated.
I have just bought a new TV and funny enough I spent yesterday setting them up. The hardest part on the old Plasma was keeping the things to stick. When the plasma would heat up they would unstick and fall off so I stuck them to velcro with contact spray then glued the sticky back side of the velcro to the edges of the TV.

This time I've used a plastic trim and stuck the LED's to that and because the new TV doesn't generate as much heat they've this time the plastic trim has stuck to the set.

I must admit with the surround sound on and the lights on it's brilliant. I have still to get to grips with the settings speed and everything plus I couldn't get them to run on a E2 satbox so I can watch normal movies with them on via the box. I can only stream movies over for them to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vroUMuB3czY

this is what I bought for about ยฃ50 on eBay ; Ambibox

Last edited:
Wouldn't that LED light distract people from watching the actual content?

I was thinking that but it actually enhances the picture and draws your vision towards the picture. It takes a bit of getting use to but we love it on movies. I just wish I could get it to run on a Miraclebox or a Zgemma via a E2 plugin. Last time I tried it just crashing the box.

So if anyone has installed any of the plug-ins on an E2 box can you give me some instructions please on how to set up and the config files ?, I've tried but I've not a clue

Just an after thought , you need to run the lights via a laptop or pc then send whatevers playing on the pc to the tv via the pc hdmi output.

That's all well but I couldn't the E2 plugins to work on a E2 satbox of any sort , it kept crashing probably due to the amount of ram it takes.

So that got me thinking , could I run a capture card/box type thingy me bob ?, the type you use to capture stuff from a games console to pc ?. This way I could run the satbox onto my pc then kick up THE Prismatik program I use and get it to work on the satbox picture via the pc.

hope it makes sense, it's basically so I can use the lights on movies that come from the satbox

Buy a proper Ambi light tv ya cheap feckers lol.

I got one a few years back and wouldn't be with out now :( which I guess is a bad thing considering the cost lol

Back