Dell and HD2400pro

steve7713

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have used this card in a Optrex755 for some time as a media PC (using VGA), I have tried to connect it to my Samsung TV with DVI to HDMI cable.

I can get it to display fine but it will not play sound, I have used my friend Goggle to help fix this but I can not get the system to pick up and audio hardware for the card. I think the card is faulty.

I have been having trouble finding a replacement, to fit. Low profile, single slot location and a 275W PSU. I was thing about something like this as a replacement if I can not get a solution.

Any ideas?

It is more likely the DVI to HDMI cable you are using doesn't support audio-over-DVI. This is cheaper than a new graphics card: ATI Radeon HD2K DVI to HDMI Sound Adapter 1080p 1440p on eBay (end time 18-Jul-10 04:51:10 BST)

If you want a new graphics card regardless, XFX do a low profile bracket: Scan.co.uk: XFX Low Profile Bracket Kit Retail (MA-BK01-LP1K) for VGA cards. There are 2 versions of this however. A newer version that sports an HDMI apperture and the older one that doesn't, but I cannot find the whether they've used the same SKU for the new version to confirm which one scan are selling. It should at least fit any graphics card with a DVI-svideo-VGA layout (where DVI is closest to the motherboard).

Last edited:
The adaptor I am using comes from an ATI card 2600XT that supports audio, but it was AGP, if the adaptor was fault why would the audio drivers fail to see any hardware to would work with.

Would 275W PSU cut the mustard to get another card?

The adaptor I am using comes from an ATI card 2600XT that supports audio, but it was AGP, if the adaptor was fault why would the audio drivers fail to see any hardware to would work with.
Sorry I was under the impression you where using an AIO cable.

Have you got the latest display drivers installed?

Out of interest though, which OS?

Of course it could be that it's a Dell specific model that doesn't have audio-over-DVI

Would 275W PSU cut the mustard to get another card?
The card should underclock if it's not getting enough voltage over the PCI-e bus (assuming you need a PCI-e card).

I was using XP Media centre with Dell drivers and updated with ATI drivers. I have tried Win 7 with the new drivers.

It is possible that the Audio is locked out by Dell.

I have seen a GeForce 210 that only requires 225W power I think I may be trying one of these.

I was using XP Media centre with Dell drivers and updated with ATI drivers. I have tried Win 7 with the new drivers...
If you have the same result in both I would say it's not a feature of the card you currently have.
...I have seen a GeForce 210 that only requires 225W power I think I may be trying one of these.
The lower numbered 200 cards (i.e. 250 or lower) are great for HTPC use.

The 8200/8300/8400 nvidia cards will also see you well if you can get one within your parameters.

I think it time to give up on the idea and start again, the 8400gs needs a SPdif socket to connect to it to get the audio, none on the M/board, so no good. I will try and take it back tomorrow.

Back