Death crash footballer is jailed

So by the time McCormick is released (good behavior, first offence, remorse etc) he will have cost the economy £3,000,000

At last my tax is being used for something worth while. According to your figures 67% re-offend so thats every 2 out of 3, whats to say he will be in the 32% that don't re-offend. Best to keep he in for another 6 or 7 years just to be sure this type of scum does not do it again.

Sorry to be devils advocate but lets flip this.

EVERY prisoner kept inside for 12months costs YOU the tax payer a cool £1,000,000.

So by the time McCormick is released (good behavior, first offence, remorse etc) he will have cost the economy £3,000,000

Even for a footballer that is more than he is paid.

I'm not saying what he has done is commendable but everybody talks of logistical sentencing. We live in a country that believes in rehabilitory sentencing, yet 67% of inmates are re-offenders.

I do believe that this is the sort of crime where good, honest people learn their lesson and learn it fast. He will have to live the rest of his life with this hanging over his head. I don't know about anybody else but I do know that anybody with even a remotely half decent upbringing will know this is punishment itself.

I would rather save the prison space for the complete scum of society who lack any sort of respect time after time, not those who make a mistake and learn.

We all make mistakes, granted some a lot bigger than others but the purpose of incarceration is to teach you right and wrong and if it succeeds in doing that and having a profound lasting effect of the individual, then with the resources they have I don't think you can ask for much more.

And drink drivers who kill people aint scum ? and just because he kicks a ball does not mean he is well brought up mate. Peeps need to get real about these guys.... he did not cure Cancer mate.... he kicks a ball...........

And the £1,000,000 bill is for every prison space, not individual prisoners, so we would be paying it anyway, better that we have scum like this off the streets

And Stevemac, your earlier comments where disgusting. Seems like you've done an about turn after seeing some of the replies aimed at you.

My comments disgusting? What world are you in? I don't recall condoning what the guy done. In fact I recall stating that I think his punishment was very harsh compared to what the equivalent person who commited the same act but was fortunate not to hit someone.

About Turn? Kept to my guns all the way through despite it being obvious that I am very much in the minority with my point of view.

Replies aimed at me? I think you do your fellow chatters an injustice as I don't feel that any of the replies have been aimed at me but merely expressing a disagreement with me.

Replies aimed at me? I think you do your fellow chatters an injustice as I don't feel that any of the replies have been aimed at me but merely expressing a disagreement with me.

As far as I am concerned, any of my comments were certainly not aimed at you, we disagree on a few things on this topic but we also agree that drink driving sentences should be harsher. If I disagreed, it is merely with your opinion, nothing to do with you personally.

I've got to admit I hate drunk drivers, I even hate boy racers with a vengeance!

I cringe in my work sometimes as I work in an industrial estate that is best part demolished with the plan to build new units in the area. But the factory where I work sits on the main road.

Anyway, I have to sit and listen to these pricks hitting high speeds along this road all day long.

Now to put you in the picture our factory sits on a kind of chicane and we have had one car lose control and take out one of our flag poles.

Laugh you may, but we also have a nursery along the road that take the kids out on nice days. If this accident had happened whilst the kids were out walking, the driver would have probably mowed down a few kids as well as their carers!

I have written to my local paper about this and it has been published, but I still don't see much police activity in the area. It's feckin' ridiculas!

Now this guy was breaking the law by driving at excess speeds!

A) Did he intend to Speed - Yes
B) Did he intend to lose control - No
C) Who was the most fortunate the kids were'nt out for a walk - Him or the kids? You decide!

It's just a pity that drunk & speeding drivers usually kill innocent people and not themselves.

Stiffer sentences all round I say!

As far as I am concerned, any of my comments were certainly not aimed at you, we disagree on a few things on this topic but we also agree that drink driving sentences should be harsher. If I disagreed, it is merely with your opinion, nothing to do with you personally.

I know that and bare no grudge for it. :Cheers: (maybe not the best smilie for this topic hmmm).

And drink drivers who kill people aint scum ? and just because he kicks a ball does not mean he is well brought up mate. Peeps need to get real about these guys.... he did not cure Cancer mate.... he kicks a ball...........

And the £1,000,000 bill is for every prison space, not individual prisoners, so we would be paying it anyway, better that we have scum like this off the streets

I'm not saying he is well brought up, nor is it relevant that he is a footballer. On that note I think Barton needs to do some time because he does not learn his lesson.

What I'm saying is that we all make choices, not all good, and we have to live with our decisions but everybody deserves an opportunity to make a mends. If he genuinely regrets what he did what purpose does spending tax payers monies to look after him achieve, if he learns his lesson and does not re-offend that's job done.

I accept that only time will tell if he re-offends, and at that time then he will pay the price, second offences, especially of the same/similar nature are always frowned heavily upon by the bench.

I just think that locking somebody up who is genuinely remorseful achieves no purpose. I've had the displeasure of meeting some real characters in my line of work who have no regret, remorse, feeling or human emotion. These are the people that society needs protecting from.

My views on this -

He should have been tried for Manslaughter.

If he had been stopped by the police he would have recieved the same charge of Dangerous Driving and DUI, but by hitting another vehicle and causing the deaths of the two children should make this a more prominent charge. So why wasn't it.

a) He was a professional footballer and in the media
b) He was remorseful (anyone can say sorry)
c) That would have meant having a longer trial and making more work

If I was sadly in the same position as the parents I would not be happy, and would probably never be happy unless I had enflicted as much pain on this bloke as possible, even if that meant I was sent to prison.

Why is there all of this footage of him driving wrecklessly yet the police did nothing to stop him? Were traffic officers depsatched to stop him?

What he has done is beyond any punishment that can be given to him. Drunk drivers are thoughtless and inconsiderate.

It is always the same look at the farmer Tony Martin, who shot the lad that broke into his house to steal from him. He was charged with murder.

In this country the law is too bothered about being PC and less bothered about Preventing Crime.

I just think that locking somebody up who is genuinely remorseful achieves no purpose. I've had the displeasure of meeting some real characters in my line of work who have no regret, remorse, feeling or human emotion. These are the people that society needs protecting from.

Must admit that I was thinking, does this person deserve more of a punishment than a smackhead who habitually mugs old women (as an example). I'm finding it hard to justify that he does, I know the outcome has been a lot worse but it was a result of negligence, not necessarily an evil or callous act.

It is always the same look at the farmer Tony Martin, who shot the lad that broke into his house to steal from him. He was charged with murder.

Completely off topic as Tony Martin shot the man in the back as he was running away, he meant to kill him (thats not to say I don't think the guy deserved it).

Are you serious ?

So if I killed a member of YOUR family(God forbid), but was really really really sorry you are ok with the courts letting me walk ?

You are obviously talking from an unqualified point of view chum, hopefully it stays that way for you.

I know the outcome has been a lot worse but it was a result of negligence, not necessarily an evil or callous act.

O.K he was not evil or callous but he was negligent and irressiponsible, he got charged and convicted of death by dangerous driving....my argument is that the sentence was too lenient, whether he meant it or not is not the issue or he would have been charged with murder if he did mean it. The outcome was he killed 2 young kids and even though you may argue that he was unfortunate and he shouldnt have a longer sentence than if he had killed no one... that is not the case, if he had killed no one then he would have been charged with drink driving and not death by dangerous driving, they are different charges and should not be mistaken as the same.

You are obviously talking from an unqualified point of view chum, hopefully it stays that way for you.

Are any of us talking from a qualified point of view?

O.K he was not evil or callous but he was negligent and irressiponsible, he got charged and convicted of death by dangerous driving....my argument is that the sentence was too lenient, whether he meant it or not is not the issue or he would have been charged with murder if he did mean it. The outcome was he killed 2 young kids and even though you may argue that he was unfortunate and he shouldnt have a longer sentence than if he had killed no one... that is not the case, if he had killed no one then he would have been charged with drink driving and not death by dangerous driving, they are different charges and should not be mistaken as the same.

Your right in that respect (that he was charged with death by dangerous driving and not drink driving). I still feel as though this sentence is quite harsh in comparison to what a drink driving charge is. If drink driving brought about a 4 year charge the 7 years for this would be appropriate. However to give 7 years for this when drink driving in most cases just means a 12 month driving ban is disproportionate.
I also feel that the vitriol blurted about this is also disproportionate against what people would say about someone drink driving.

I honestly think he has been let off very lightly Steve and i would like to see drink drivers locked up for at least 2 years instead of a simple driving ban.

Your right in that respect (that he was charged with death by dangerous driving and not drink driving). I still feel as though this sentence is quite harsh in comparison to what a drink driving charge is. If drink driving brought about a 4 year charge the 7 years for this would be appropriate. However to give 7 years for this when drink driving in most cases just means a 12 month driving ban is disproportionate.
I also feel that the vitriol blurted about this is also disproportionate against what people would say about someone drink driving.

Yes I think I can say I am qualified to have my opinion on this topic. My brother died in a RTA and the other driver was at fault, he was also over the legal limit.
What was his punishment....6 month driving ban. What was my punishment...I grew up wthout my big brother and watched what it did to my parents.

btw...incase you are wondering why he only got 6 month driving ban, it was a long time ago and drink driving was not as socially unacceptable as it is now and it also didnt have the same penalties.

I guess you could argue that I am biased on this topic but I feel I have the right to be.

What was his punishment....6 month driving ban.

I guess you could argue that I am biased on this topic but I feel I have the right to be.

You've every right to be biased, and if I were in your shoes I would be too (though I have previously admited that I would be).
6 months driving ban, now that is an absolute disgrace.

I am not going into the details and no it was not a family member but someone very close to me was taken by a drunk driver so yes I do.

@ Jaffa, sorry to hear chum :(

He did not get seven years for drink driving ,but Causing death by dangerous driving,
which is not the same as Causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs.
I fail to see why you are comparing the two thing, if you are sitting in a car drunk with the keys in your pocket you can and will be charged with drink driving, do you deserve to go to prison for that ?
This guy was charged with Causing death by dangerous driving the fact that he was drunk made it worse, but it is not the same charge as drink driving, don't think your argument holds up sorry

Why does it matter if he will lose his "beloved football" ... would you feel the same if he lost his "beloved burger flipping" job ?... this country is quite sad when it comes to footballers...

He is a cnut who kicks a ball ffs...,.wise up !!

Na m8, u got the wrong idea, I dont give a toss about him. Im talking from his eyes, he is messed up but he is just one guy who will (or should) live in regret but has the option of living life. Whereas a family has been destroyed for life!.

I think allot has to do with sentencing.

I know that it costs allot of of our tax payers money but for me if they had proper sentences for all crimes there would not be all this trouble.... 7 years is not a fair judgement with what he has done to family and two innocent children going on a trip.

I do not think this guy is an evil killer and yes he is remorseful and i believe he will face many demons and dark nights alone.

Sentences... if they was to hand out 6 months prison sentences to every person found carrying a knife... believe me all these **** wit idiots would not be carrying knives!!!

If they told every person that they would get 1 year in prison for drink driving believe me they would probably drop the figure by 90% (on the basis that you always get one or two cocks).

If they was to give out REAL life sentences for convicted murderers then also you would have far less killings.

Off topic slightly but i would rather them put up my duty and know that they would build enough prisons to keep them in we pay enough tax to bail out banks so why not put these scum-bags off the street!!

Its a joke that an old lady was robbed by a crack head round here about 4 months ago and he broke her jaw, and she cannot talk properly any more but this **** gets 2 years suspended sentence !!!

Back