Death crash footballer is jailed

NL7

Inactive User
Reaction score
A Championship footballer has been jailed for seven years and four months for causing the deaths of two children by dangerous driving.

Former Plymouth Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick, 25, admitted causing the deaths of Arron Peak, 10, and Ben Peak, eight, and driving with excess alcohol.

The brothers, from Partington, Greater Manchester, died in a crash on the M6 in Staffordshire on 7 June.

McCormick entered his guilty pleas at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court earlier.

'Fell asleep'

The court heard that when breathalysed McCormick, who had been returning from a wedding, was found to have 74 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

The legal limit is 35 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.

The brothers and their father Philip Peak, 37, were in a Toyota Previa with friends, travelling to Silverstone racetrack, when the crash happened.

Their car was involved in a collision with McCormick's Range Rover at about 0545 BST on the southbound carriageway of the motorway between junctions 15 and 16, near Keele services.

Mr Peak, 37, who was driving, was seriously injured in the crash.

McCormick kept his head bowed and covered his face with his hand as the court heard he had told eyewitnesses at the crash scene: "I am so sorry, I'm sorry. I just fell asleep. I fell asleep, I'm sorry."

Before the accident other motorists noticed him "driving like an idiot" and estimated his speed at around 90mph (144km/h).

McCormick, a former England youth international, had his contract with Plymouth cancelled by mutual consent a month after the crash.

'Hopes shattered'

In a victim impact statement the boys' parents, Philip and Amanda Peak, said their lives had been "shattered" by the accident.

"All our hopes and dreams for the future have been taken away from us," they said.

In mitigation, John Jones told the court McCormick had become introverted and suffered nightmares after the crash.

"He was a professional footballer with a potentially glittering future.

"His career would have developed, the rewards in every sense of the word, would be limitless."

That was lost forever and McCormick is a shadow of his former self, he added.

Friends and relatives of the boys were at the court to hear McCormick plead guilty.

BBC NEWS | England | Death crash footballer is jailed

arsehole should never be allowed out again, as said 7 yrs for 2 young lives DISGUSTING

thats whats wrong ints the act thats punished and not the consequence.
Its just plain wrong. He should have got a double life sentance imv

I think this is a sad story but 7 year is better then some sentances ive seen he will have to do atleast 4 year before parole.

but if it was my kids id want life 7 year is still way to low but to be honest in this day and age its a wonder he didnt get 2 year.

rip the kids but this bloke wont drink and again thats for sure he has deamons for the rest of his life.

good reminder for the rest of us dont drink and drive it could happen to any one of us.

Hang on a minute.
You guys are focusing on the outcome rather than the action.

The guy drove drunk (the result was an appauling accident), the question should really be that should we give harsher sentences to people who drink and drive (regardless of the outcome).

I'm sure there are many people here, and i'm sure you all know of many more who have driven whilst drunk (i'm not condoning it), would you argue that each of those individuals should be imprisoned for a long time for their actions, if so then you are entitled to your opinion, if not then you are calling for this guys head for being unfortunate.

I believe that he should be punished for his actions, which were driving 2 times over the limit (that was his mistake).

Hang on a minute.

The guy drove drunk (the result was an appauling accident), the question should really be that should we give harsher sentences to people who drink and drive (regardless of the outcome).

I'm sure there are many people here, and i'm sure you all know of many more who have driven whilst drunk (i'm not condoning it), would you argue that each of those individuals should be imprisoned for a long time for their actions, if so then you are entitled to your opinion, if not then you are calling for this guys head for being unfortunate.

I believe that he should be punished for his actions, which were driving 2 times over the limit (that was his mistake).

I think 7 year is a good sentance by todays standards you have to feel for the bloke aswell a little it could have been anybodys nightmare although i never drive over a pint and a shandy im sure he didnt mean to actualy go and knock 2 kids over its a sad story i wonder if he was sober would it still of happend ? only he knows and he will never forget it waste of three lifes really cos if it was me id probably kill my self i couldnt live with it.

Hang on a minute.

You have that back to front m8.
If a man fires a gun and it hits a tree then he will get a lesser sentance than if he fired a gun and killed someone. It is the outcome that should be heavier sentenced. Yes the act is bad enough and should be dealt with harsher but if you dont tarrif it to an outcome then sentences will get lighter not tougher.

I kind of feel that 7-years is a long time as it is quite obvious he is full of remorse for what had happened. It's not like he was a hit and run driver or would be likely to re-offend.
Whatever the sentence, it wouldn't have brought back the 2 kids and I don't think any sentence could satisfy the family in those circumstances.

I kind of feel that 7-years is a long time as it is quite obvious he is full of remorse for what had happened. It's not like he was a hit and run driver or would be likely to re-offend.
Whatever the sentence, it wouldn't have brought back the 2 kids and I don't think any sentence could satisfy the family in those circumstances.

So are you advocating lighter sentences for causing death by driving under the influence of drink (or drugs)?

I Think you have to put yourself in the shoe`s of the parent`s of those 2 children and then ask yourself if you would still feel the same way. I would not regard it as an accident neither
Hang on a minute.

You have that back to front m8.
If a man fires a gun and it hits a tree then he will get a lesser sentance than if he fired a gun and killed someone. It is the outcome that should be heavier sentenced. Yes the act is bad enough and should be dealt with harsher but if you dont tarrif it to an outcome then sentences will get lighter not tougher.

Not lighter at all. I'm suggesting we put it into perspective. The thing that the guy did wrong was drink and drive, he didn't go out to kill someone, so why should he be punished to a similar level as a murderer? Its only his actions that should be punished, i.e. drink driving, and it is that which he did wrong (i'm guessing he would take any punishment if he thought it would take away the pain caused, but that can't happen).
The oposite works as well, I feel that people who attempt to murder should be given exactly the same punishment as those who murder, it's only fortune that distinguishes the 2 events.

I Think you have to put yourself in the shoe`s of the parent`s of those 2 children and then ask yourself if you would still feel the same way. I would not regard it as an accident neither

Totally agree it was no accident. He delibretly started and drove his car when drunk not accidently.

I'm sure I wouldn't either, but that's not how our judicial system works(and quite rightly) .

Totally agree it was no accident. He delibretly started and drove his car when drunk not accidently.

Okay, i'm gonna put a twist on this one.

Would you call the police if you saw a friend or family member getting behind the wheel when drunk?

Okay, i'm gonna put a twist on this one.

Would you call the police if you saw a friend or family member getting behind the wheel when drunk?

I would take the keys from them or try and stop them and yes if they still insisted then yes i would.
I will retwist it. that if i didnt and he crashed and died or killed someone. I would not be able to live with myself

Not lighter at all. I'm suggesting we put it into perspective. The thing that the guy did wrong was drink and drive, he didn't go out to kill someone, so why should he be punished to a similar level as a murderer? Its only his actions that should be punished, i.e. drink driving, and it is that which he did wrong (i'm guessing he would take any punishment if he thought it would take away the pain caused, but that can't happen).
The oposite works as well, I feel that people who attempt to murder should be given exactly the same punishment as those who murder, it's only fortune that distinguishes the 2 events.

Stevie you are so wrong m8. If i go out with a loaded gun and it goes off and kills some one then its murder in my view as i know the potential it has to kill.
Driving a car while drunk is just the same its a killing machine.
If it was mandatory murder for death by drunk driving then maybey people would think very carefully before doing it.

Back