Death crash footballer is jailed

He has made a very stupid mistake and is now paying for it dearly, quite how anyone lives with the fact that they have killed two innocent boys and paralysed their dad is anyones guess. He has admitted his mistake and is now taking the punishment given.
I dont pity him but i dont think hes sitting in prison sniggerng about his light sentance either.

of course its the poor mother and father of those boys who we all sympathise with, they have to wake up every day and realise the house is empty :(

life for a life....thats what i say

I say he should have got a longer sentence but i also feel if you drink drive but dont cause any accident but get caught you should also get sent to jail for a couple of years rather than just getting fined and banned from driving maybe this will make people think twice before getting behind the wheel drunk

I believe that he should be punished for his actions, which were driving 2 times over the limit (that was his mistake).

Stevemac your argument which I think is wrong does highlight a loophole .
Let's say local drug dealer gets pissed off by local have a go hero.
What does local drug dealer do ????

1 Hire a hitman to shot him ? no long sentence if you get caught
2 Burn the house down when all are sleeping ? No add arson to number one
3 Go round to his house with a gang welding baseball bats and just give him a good going over? No not harsh enough
4 Get pissed mow him down with the 4x4 backup over him to make sure his dead, bingo 2 years job done

I believe drink drivers should go to jail for life

I used to think like stevemac40.

I had some faith in the intellectual detachment of the judiciary, and wanted a proportionate response to crime.

Now, however that has changed. As I have grown up I have a real problem with the legal concept of 'intent'.

Intent decided that he got 7 years instead of two life sentences, because he did not mean to kill, he was just reckless. This is the difference between manslaughter and murder.

Now it seems to be the argument by the vast majority of people on here that by taking away two lives, this man should lose his freedom forever. I agree.

It is not mob-minded or simplistic to ask for the lines to be redrawn as far as proportionate sentencing is concerned. Answer me this, why is it more morally correct to sentence a man in this circumstance to 7 years, instead of true life behind bars?

If the answer is a need to separate those who murder from those who recklessly and accidentally take lives, then in this case at least it is a false distinction.

(Anyway, I believe sentencing is not about doing what is morally correct, but what is logistical as far as prison capacity is concerned.)

I think this comes down to the alcohol. By drinking and driving he made a decision to put lives in danger. That is different to say a lorry driver who accidentally kills three, whilst also in good faith abiding by all laws and regulations (as what happened on TV last night).

There is the real distinction, and that is why this bloke should not want to see daylight again, because frankly he should not be able to sleep a wink without seeing the faces of the dead that he is culpable for.

Last edited:
I think it is madness to say that 7 years is an ok sentence for killing 2 young boys and badly injuring the father, and lets face it that it was only luck stopping it from being a full pile up with god knows how many involved !

I know that some peeps believe that because he did not have "Mens Rea" (guilty mind) that he is only guilty of drink driving ?...

So if I grab myself a nice 9mm pistol and walk into town and start shooting into crowds but am lucky enough NOT to shoot anyone, then I should only get done for discharging a weapon in a public place ?... and not attempted murder ?

Get real, this guy knew that he was unfit to drive, and he did not give a shit, and carried on knowing that he was putting other people at risk.

And what's the point in a longer sentence ?... PUNISHMENT !!

I say he should have got a longer sentence but i also feel if you drink drive but dont cause any accident but get caught you should also get sent to jail for a couple of years rather than just getting fined and banned from driving maybe this will make people think twice before getting behind the wheel drunk

I don't know about two years, but at least some kind of sentence. My dad got two months and done one, but learned his lesson from that. Around the time he was done I used to watch the news and see endless cases of people being done, but only getting fines or points on their licence.

Every drink driver is irresponsible, it's just that some have accidents and some don't. They are all gambling with other people's lives.

I don't know about two years, but at least some kind of sentence. My dad got two months and done one, but learned his lesson from that. Around the time he was done I used to watch the news and see endless cases of people being done, but only getting fines or points on their licence.

Every drink driver is irresponsible, it's just that some have accidents and some don't. They are all gambling with other people's lives.

What would you have thought if your father caused deaths by driving drunk? How long would have been reasonable then?

I'm sorry guys, I just think the punishment should fit the crime. The crime of drink driving and being fortunate not to hurt anyone and drink driving and not being fortunate are the same crime. My main point is that the current laws for drink driving are not harsh enough, in fact I would widen that to the general laws on dangerous driving. It seems obvious (well at least to me) that a lot of you guys want the punishment to be a form of retribution for what happened.

The point about him being insured is invalid, that has no bearing on the fact that he was driving a car that killed 2 people.

How many of you are going to spit the same bile and hatred about Francos dad who was fortunate not to have hurt anyone or about the guy earlier who admited to drink driving some time a go.

What would you have thought if your father caused deaths by driving drunk? How long would have been reasonable then?

I'm sorry guys, I just think the punishment should fit the crime. The crime of drink driving and being fortunate not to hurt anyone and drink driving and not being fortunate are the same crime. My main point is that the current laws for drink driving are not harsh enough, in fact I would widen that to the general laws on dangerous driving. It seems obvious (well at least to me) that a lot of you guys want the punishment to be a form of retribution for what happened.

The point about him being insured is invalid, that has no bearing on the fact that he was driving a car that killed 2 people.

How many of you are going to spit the same bile and hatred about Francos dad who was fortunate not to have hurt anyone or about the guy earlier who admited to drink driving some time a go.

But you have to remember we are discussing this case and not other cases of drink driving, he was sentenced for causing death by dangerous driving and not just drink driving.

We are in agreement that the law is not harsh enough on drink drivers.

I think the issue here is that he knowingly got in his car ( a dangerous weapon) and drove it. I do feel inclined to agree with a life for a life if the punishment is known before you do something, then there can be no arguments afterwards. In this case, death by dangerous driving was not a life sentance when this happened but 7 years seems light, especially when he gets released after 4 in all probability. The poor parents will have it all in their faces again then - just like when that WBA player was released. I notice he is playing football again now and that is a disgrace too! Its certainly an emotive issue and my heart goes out to the family left behind.

I'm sorry guys, I just think the punishment should fit the crime.

That's the thing. You have hit the crux of the argument.

You believe that the sentence is proportionate. I believe that he should give up his freedom for the rest of his life because he caused the death of two innocents. That for me is proportionate. No, torture, no killing, just refusing him the right to walk down the street forever, just as the two innocents have been condemned too.

I am not accusing you of anything steve. Most of the establishment thinks just like you, and they are not evil people either. We differ. That is all.

Well, that's a different issue to the one I commented on. I think if a drink driver causes the death of innocent people then 14 years is well deserved (even though knife wielding murderers seem to get less than that these days). I agree that custodial sentences are right in all cases of drink driving (even with no accident) but 2 years is as arbitrary a figure as any. Why not one year, or five years? Different people learn their lessons from different punishments and some don't learn at all.

Well, that's a different issue to the one I commented on. I think if a drink driver causes the death of innocent people then 14 years is well deserved (even though knife wielding murderers seem to get less than that these days). I agree that custodial sentences are right in all cases of drink driving (even with no accident) but 2 years is as arbitrary a figure as any. Why not one year, or five years? Different people learn their lessons from different punishments and some don't learn at all.

Thats a very honest opinion m8 considering the question was about your dad.

life for a life....thats what i say

Gotta agree with that to be honest. That sick bastard got behind the wheel totally out of it from 12hrs drinking and also jet-lagged. He decided to drive after two hours sleep and drove like a mad man because he wanted an argument with his girlfriend.
And Stevemac, your earlier comments where disgusting. Seems like you've done an about turn after seeing some of the replies aimed at you.
That bastard will be out in 3.5 years yet the family have to endure a lifetime of torment. They will NEVER see their sons walking down the aisle,their 21st birthday party to celebrate their coming of age etc. and for what?
The justice system in this country is a fucking joke. The **** would have been strung up in the street if it was down to me.
Back to his normal life when he gets out but a family with a lifetime of torment.
Disgrace.
Sorry about the language but I feel quite strongly about this. In these kind of cases then yes, it should be an eye for an eye.
In the USA if you kill someone while driving then you face a vehicular manslaughter charge with a possible life sentence..why not here?

I used to think like stevemac40.

I had some faith in the intellectual detachment of the judiciary, and wanted a proportionate response to crime.

Now, however that has changed. As I have grown up I have a real problem with the legal concept of 'intent'.

Intent decided that he got 7 years instead of two life sentences, because he did not mean to kill, he was just reckless. This is the difference between manslaughter and murder.

Now it seems to be the argument by the vast majority of people on here that by taking away two lives, this man should lose his freedom forever. I agree.

It is not mob-minded or simplistic to ask for the lines to be redrawn as far as proportionate sentencing is concerned. Answer me this, why is it more morally correct to sentence a man in this circumstance to 7 years, instead of true life behind bars?

If the answer is a need to separate those who murder from those who recklessly and accidentally take lives, then in this case at least it is a false distinction.

(Anyway, I believe sentencing is not about doing what is morally correct, but what is logistical as far as prison capacity is concerned.)

I think this comes down to the alcohol. By drinking and driving he made a decision to put lives in danger. That is different to say a lorry driver who accidentally kills three, whilst also in good faith abiding by all laws and regulations (as what happened on TV last night).

There is the real distinction, and that is why this bloke should not want to see daylight again, because frankly he should not be able to sleep a wink without seeing the faces of the dead that he is culpable for.

Agree totally!

Well drink and drive etc but there is no intention to kill even though when drinking and driving you know this may happen. So courts I guess can't do you for murder, more manslaughter.
I guess a lot of people drink and realise they are still okay. He is young and inexperienced but thats no excuse.

If is truly feels remorse then it is going to haunt him for the rest of his life. He has also no career in his beloved football.

If you give him a life sentence, he will be out say in 10-15?

I do feel for the family, they have to suffer a much worse sentence for the rest of their lives. How many people will suffer as opposed to one.

I think long term bans should be introduced on top of the jail sentence.

If is truly feels remorse then it is going to haunt him for the rest of his life. He has also no career in his beloved football.

Why does it matter if he will lose his "beloved football" ... would you feel the same if he lost his "beloved burger flipping" job ?... this country is quite sad when it comes to footballers...

He is a cnut who kicks a ball ffs...,.wise up !!

Why does it matter if he will lose his "beloved football" ... would you feel the same if he lost his "beloved burger flipping" job ?... this country is quite sad when it comes to footballers...

He is a cnut who kicks a ball ffs...,.wise up !!

Footballers get on my feckin' tits full stop! Feckin' superstar status for kicking a ball about.

Remember Beckham pleading not guilty to a speeding charge, 76Mph in a 50Mph zone, then says he had to speed as the photographers car was too close and might have caused an accident. Why plead not guilty then admit it!

No wonder he gets tarred with the "Thick as feckin' shit" brush! Its because he is!

I wonder if he would have pleaded not guilty had he killed somebody whilst speeding away from the paparazzi.

It's ridiculas what they think they can get away with!

Last edited:
Sorry to be devils advocate but lets flip this.

EVERY prisoner kept inside for 12months costs YOU the tax payer a cool £1,000,000.

So by the time McCormick is released (good behavior, first offence, remorse etc) he will have cost the economy £3,000,000

Even for a footballer that is more than he is paid.

I'm not saying what he has done is commendable but everybody talks of logistical sentencing. We live in a country that believes in rehabilitory sentencing, yet 67% of inmates are re-offenders.

I do believe that this is the sort of crime where good, honest people learn their lesson and learn it fast. He will have to live the rest of his life with this hanging over his head. I don't know about anybody else but I do know that anybody with even a remotely half decent upbringing will know this is punishment itself.

I would rather save the prison space for the complete scum of society who lack any sort of respect time after time, not those who make a mistake and learn.

We all make mistakes, granted some a lot bigger than others but the purpose of incarceration is to teach you right and wrong and if it succeeds in doing that and having a profound lasting effect of the individual, then with the resources they have I don't think you can ask for much more.

Gotta agree with that to be honest. That sick bastard got behind the wheel totally out of it from 12hrs drinking and also jet-lagged. He decided to drive after two hours sleep and drove like a mad man because he wanted an argument with his girlfriend.
And Stevemac, your earlier comments where disgusting. Seems like you've done an about turn after seeing some of the replies aimed at you.
That bastard will be out in 3.5 years yet the family have to endure a lifetime of torment. They will NEVER see their sons walking down the aisle,their 21st birthday party to celebrate their coming of age etc. and for what?
The justice system in this country is a fucking joke. The **** would have been strung up in the street if it was down to me.
Back to his normal life when he gets out but a family with a lifetime of torment.
Disgrace.
Sorry about the language but I feel quite strongly about this. In these kind of cases then yes, it should be an eye for an eye.
In the USA if you kill someone while driving then you face a vehicular manslaughter charge with a possible life sentence..why not here?

He has to do atleast do 4 years before even eligable for parole any sentance over 4 years you have to do 3 quarters to even see the parole board.

Any sentance under 4 years you do half the term.

Back