DC++ (MayBe)

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my internet connection at the moment, it seems noticeable when using dc++ (cos you can see you speed) The problem is that after an unspecified amount of time, could be 5 mins or maybe 6 hours, the connection speed slowly drops on both upload and download to zero.

I contacted my isp about this and they tested the line and said the modem was goosed, they sent a nice new modem and everything seemed ok again.

Over the last couple of days this problem has started again as those on the hub will of experienced while downloading from me.

I uninstalled Zone alarm thinking that maybe the problem and installed Norton instead but got the same problem so I think that rules out the firewall.

Anyone got any surgestions I have also altered the bandwidth limiter to 0% incase that was the problem as well.......

Doinging my napper in now :( ST G

Here's a few more things to check:

Drivers:
Latest drivers for your Modem, Mainboard (USB).
As your run WinXP, is Servicepack 1a installed on your system ?

Possibly any resource(IRQ) conflict ?

The connection had stalle dby the time I came in from work so I ran the test prog that came with the setup, it passed on everything except something called common server and common dns they both failed, I tried to copy and paste but the stupid screen would not let me... :(

Common DNS indicated that there is some problem with the name resolution. This means your system tries to contact the DNS server of your provider to resolve IP addresses into names. As this can't be done it is not able to display webpages for example.

Ever worked with the DOS command nslookup ?

Been digging about and some ppl with the same board have similar probs, the way round it is to turn the card down to x4 instead of x8, now how do you go about doing that then ??

Also in my hardware the graphics card (a radeon) is list twice one with secondary next to it, I have uninstalled them both but when it reinstalls it sets up in the same way, stranger..... ?

Won't be the graphics card.
AS it unfreezes when u pull out the modem, i tend to say something wrong with either USB drivers, or possibly resource conflict.

If you have a look at the mobo bios, does it allow you to manually configure IRQ settings ? Or decide whether to use an IRQ for USB ?

Ok so in bios I have said no to os pnp aware and now at least the modem does not seem to disconnect now... fluke maybe. But what is still happening is if you lave the machine for say 20 mins and come back, move the mouse, screen saver disappears wallpaper appears then the system hangs for an age until finally you get the logon screen, I wonder if it is cos I have all the xp updates...lol probly ferked the system up lol

I have dc++ closed down for now and will leave machine to see if it hangs then... No activity at modem then you see. What has been down is the bandwidth limiter within XP has been set to zero % but would not have thought this would cause the system to hang....

Disable screensaver :)
Nah, have seen that on different machines, not limited to WinXP only. Whine2000 is good at that as well. Always thought it's gotta something to do with your power managment settings, like harddisk spinning down after 20 minutes as well. Worth checking that in Bios and Windows > Control Panel

Back